To our military.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, the city of Trussville, Alabama wished farewell to Sgt Jason Stegall. Having fought in Iraq and returning to the states, he contracted the swine flu and later died from complications. As the hearse carrying his body drove through the city, people stood on the sidewalks waving the American flag. His procession was led by his motorcycle friends, each carry a flag on their Harley Davidson's. Traffic was at a stand still as fire trucks blocked intersections. Both fire fighters and police officers saluted him as the hearse passed by. Sgt Stegall was awarded the Medal of Honor while in Iraq. I knew him not, but stood at the door of the shop where I work with tears in my eyes to witness the outpouring of love and patriotism for a soldier very few people knew. It was a great sight to behold, and a reminder of just how much our military does for our country, and how much people really care.

Having spent 20 years as a dependent of an Air Force enlistee, I know the trials that each military family faces when one of them is away on duty, or at war. One of the hardest things to deal with is knowing that they might not come back, and still have to remain strong in the eyes of the rest of their family.

To all of you in the military, I appreciate what you do to ensure this country's freedom. Be safe this Christmas and for the remainder of your tour, regardless of where you are stationed.