Why do people sit in the AW chat room, but not chat?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand not getting on with everyone, and deciding not to reply to someone you've taken against in the past. And I know that people step away from their computers sometimes but remain logged in. For a bunch of people to sit in silence when someone says hello just seems rude, and it's happened a few times to me. Why go into a chat room if you don't want to chat?

Sophia, wondering if I'm on global ignore.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, an empty thread.

:D

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Some do step away from the computer for a few minutes, which is why some don't answer. Then there are others who are idle in there for hours, sometimes days. Yep Days. I have no idea why they do it. Other than keeping the chat logged so they can go back and see if they missed any gossip. I say, if you're going to be gone, and know it, then just log off. But, hey, that's just my opinion, which isn't worth much ;)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Srsly, I wonder the same thing. It happens to me all the time too. I don't think it's personal

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a chat room? Huh. I'm going to have to check that out.

(psst...people are logging out as they read this.)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought there was a rule that you can only stay in Chat for like 2 hours or so.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Elara. I was busy eating chocolate and I couldn't say 'ello. :D But seriously, I don't know why people do that. Not right!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I moderated a chat room for many years. We found a great many people, lots of them Mac users, did not disconnect from us when they closed the chat window. They would only disconnect if they turned off their computers.

I'm a computer idiot, but I understood there were also issues with people who could not accept the chat's java applet and were there using the lower-level HTML chat, no matter what kind of computer they were on.

Still, we had to institute a policy in which a moderator could challenge any user who'd been idle more than 60 minutes as many times as they cared to during a 30-minute period. If there was no reply, at the end of the 30 minutes we could manually disconnect them.

I understand that chat has a new host and is set to do some kind of automatic disconnect after a couple of hours idle.

And of course, we also had a fair number of people who were not there to chat but to eavesdrop and observe.

Maryn, retired from that

Deleted member 42

I'd bump people who are idle for more than an hour or so. It's consuming resources that StarChat pays for.

They are occupying a seat that someone else can't.

It's rude.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. There are some in there that are there 24/7 and have been for months.

If you go to a chat room....then CHAT.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Some do step away from the computer for a few minutes, which is why some don't answer. Then there are others who are idle in there for hours, sometimes days. Yep Days. I have no idea why they do it. Other than keeping the chat logged so they can go back and see if they missed any gossip. I say, if you're going to be gone, and know it, then just log off. But, hey, that's just my opinion, which isn't worth much ;)
Three little letters:

brb
There's a chat room? Huh. I'm going to have to check that out.

(psst...people are logging out as they read this.)
Yeah, more new people discovered it yesterday during the half hour or so AW was down.
Yup. There are some in there that are there 24/7 and have been for months.

If you go to a chat room....then CHAT.
If the active chatters would slap these lurkers with wet fish, there wouldn't be this problem.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Three little letters: brb
Yeah, Ben, I wasn't meaning for a few minutes or even half hour, or even an hour. BRB, is great to use, I've used it myself. :)

I was talking about the 12 hours idle, 24 hours idle, 36 hours idle, and today's record of 66 hours idle. (I wonder if he/she is still in there, idling. must check at some point).

Yep, was idle for 72 hours in the end. Then someone may have booted him. Not sure who. Honest. Who me? Nah, I wouldna do that.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
As one who does and doesn't idle

Typically if I am on the chat, I'm at my computer. If I go for periods of not talking it's because I forgot I was in there or, I'm working on a project and keeping an eye on the chat for people who come in with questions about writing.

Yeah, imagine that, I actually try to help when I can. But I can't have my eyes glued to the chat every second or I'd never get my studies done nor my writing accomplished.

Recently I sat in chat for 24 hours to log for one of the moderators because we needed information so we could get rid of a troll that was harassing the chat users.

I have a few pet peeves about those who idle for more than 3-8 hours at a time but are logged on for 24-78 hours. It bugs me. I don't see what they are doing in there.

With as close knit a group as we have become, those who sit and don't participate just freaking creep me out. There's a lot of personal information, (not financial) that passes through the chat because we also sometimes talk about personal challenges, family constructs and issues, and a various number of health issues. I am uncomfortable with the idea that someone who lurks but fails to contribute to the chat regularly because I feel they are invading the privacy of the membership there.

I'm very protective over our teens (there are just the awesomeness) in the chat as well and it creeps me out to think someone with bad intentions (we don't know that those who idle have them but we don't know they don't either) might be lurking gathering information.

As to your question Elarasophia, I see people coming in and leaving so quickly if there's no response with just a two minute lag time and it seems to me a little patience is in order.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "deciding not to reply to someone you've taken against in the past" but if you mean had a misunderstanding with, I have a few people who have me on ignore and it's okay with me.

Chances are if I've upset them or have irritated them, I don't get along that well with them either and that happens on this forum all the time. To each his own. I'd rather have someone ignore me than be contentious over things I might say in chat. We have reached a level of civility that we've worked hard to obtain.

A certain level of tolerance is needed when using chat rooms. It is written communication and people are not typically intending to slight one another by silence.

Medi, I have NEVER had trouble logging on the Starchat servers. I think most servers aren't struggling with that nowdays.

I do think, we need an idle rule. And I think we need a participation rule. If someone comes into the chat and never speaks, what are they doing there? Get out. :D

But I'd like to think people can be a LITTLE bit more patient (ElaraSophia is NOT the first to complain, I used to take it personally as wel)l. It's the internet, it's not perfect and neither are we.

But the majority of us are in there, to talk about writing and support one another. We have a few who just like to hang with us writerly types but they DO participate and as readers their input is priceless.

And that, I guess is all I have to say about that.

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you mean by "deciding not to reply to someone you've taken against in the past" but if you mean had a misunderstanding with, I have a few people who have me on ignore and it's okay with me.

I meant people who acted almost like trolls during chat, but not enough to warrant kicking out, and I felt uncomfortable talking to them the next time they appeared as I wasn't sure of their intentions. That's the only time I haven't said hello to someone (and I'm not proud of it), but there were others there who did, so the person wasn't ignored. I've never argued with anyone in chat, and have had some brilliant conversations there (including with Cassiopeia); there are AW members who I only know through chat, and consider them online friends. I've had personal conversations there and the lurkers do bother me, particularly those who are silent for such a long time that I think they must be logouts that hadn't gone through from before I entered, but then they'll say something out of the blue. Creepy is right.

Patience wise, I'm talking about silent periods of half an hour or more, rather than just a couple of minutes. Most times, it's clear they are just failed logouts, but there have been times when people will start talking when someone else enters. I don't take it hugely personally, it just takes me aback sometimes. Just for comparison, the chat system on the Forward Motion writing site displays the last few lines of chat posted prior to entry, which is a good way of seeing if things have been silent for a while or people have just said BRB, which would be handy (and AFAIK isn't possible with the software here).

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I meant people who acted almost like trolls during chat, but not enough to warrant kicking out, and I felt uncomfortable talking to them the next time they appeared as I wasn't sure of their intentions. That's the only time I haven't said hello to someone (and I'm not proud of it), but there were others there who did, so the person wasn't ignored. I've never argued with anyone in chat, and have had some brilliant conversations there (including with Cassiopeia); there are AW members who I only know through chat, and consider them online friends. I've had personal conversations there and the lurkers do bother me, particularly those who are silent for such a long time that I think they must be logouts that hadn't gone through from before I entered, but then they'll say something out of the blue. Creepy is right.

Patience wise, I'm talking about silent periods of half an hour or more, rather than just a couple of minutes. Most times, it's clear they are just failed logouts, but there have been times when people will start talking when someone else enters. I don't take it hugely personally, it just takes me aback sometimes. Just for comparison, the chat system on the Forward Motion writing site displays the last few lines of chat posted prior to entry, which is a good way of seeing if things have been silent for a while or people have just said BRB, which would be handy (and AFAIK isn't possible with the software here).

You know, I do know that many of us have a particular chat program we use instead of the function through AW. And for example...if I don't have someone on my notify list and I'm looking elsewhere I don't know they've come in. mIRC has that nifty function and it pops up a small window in the right hand side of my screen to notify me of people who I see regularly. Unfortunately the list has number limit. I don't always remember to update it when I have to reinstall either.