PDA

View Full Version : Headlights in England

MarkEsq
12-23-2009, 11:58 PM
What color are they, what color beams do they put out? Yellow? Orange? White? Seems like a dumb question, I know but... well, it's my question nonetheless.
Thanks!

waylander
12-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Mostly white, some of the newer cars (BMW and Audi) look blue if you are off centre and then go white if the car turns toward you

Shakesbear
12-24-2009, 01:07 AM
White. Yellow in mainland Europe but white in the UK.

I haven't noticed blue lights Waylander. But then I am gifted and drive with my eyes shut! muahahahahaha!

BillPatt
12-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Aren't they 24v? They do everything else funny there....wrong side of the road...220v house current....50 cycles....PAL scan tv....taxing TV.....

</humor>

Shakesbear
12-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Aren't they 24v? They do everything else funny there....wrong side of the road...220v house current....50 cycles....PAL scan tv....taxing TV.....

</humor>

Yep! We do all sorts of funny stuff here! Even the humour is funny!

Fran
12-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Cars in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have them too! :D

waylander
12-24-2009, 01:54 AM

</humor>

240V domestic current
2 channels of advert free TV

benbradley
12-24-2009, 02:53 AM
I somehow recall from a decade ago the then-new "blue" headlights were outlawed in the USA because their color spectrum more easily destroy night vision than the more traditional yellow/white headlights. I still see the occasional bluish headlights at night.

Aren't they 24v?
The USA most cars are 12V though I recall many decades ago 6V was common. In recent years I've heard that with all the extra electrical accesories, there's a move to 48V.

They do everything else funny there.... taxing TVShhhh ... don't give Obama or Congress any ideas...

benbradley
12-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Yep! We do all sorts of funny stuff here! Even the humour is funny!
Even the SPELLING of humor is funny...

Perks
12-24-2009, 03:09 AM
I did notice when I was there this summer that the headlights are the same as the US, but their highway streetlights, in the London surrounds at least, are a really hideous orange/yellow sodium vapor extravaganza. And they are amazingly close together. The English will put five in the space we'd put three. Same with traffic cones - edge to edge. Hundreds of 'em. I don't know that your health and safety people trust you much.

Sorry guys. But you get huge daylight props for not having billboards. I loved the lack of billboards so much that if I wasn't an Anglophile to begin with, that would have pushed me right over to pining for a stint as an expat.

If you'd have me, that is.

Fran
12-24-2009, 03:21 AM
I did notice when I was there this summer that the headlights are the same as the US, but their highway streetlights, in the London surrounds at least, are a really hideous orange/yellow sodium vapor extravaganza.

They put blue light ones up in Buchanan Street in Glasgow. They're almost a tourist attraction!

Same with traffic cones - edge to edge. Hundreds of 'em. I don't know that your health and safety people trust you much.

If I tell you it's possible to go to training and get a certificate showing you know how to climb a ladder safely, you'll get some idea of how much our government trusts us to do stuff unsupervised cares about our health and safety.

Perks
12-24-2009, 07:42 AM
If I tell you it's possible to go to training and get a certificate showing you know how to climb a ladder safely, you'll get some idea of how much our government trusts us to do stuff unsupervised cares about our health and safety.I still loved it. I got to spend a week in the south of Ireland. Then I also dabbled in York, Edinburgh, and London (and surrounds.) Not even near a tenth of a enough time.

We all have our quirks, but I'd put up with a bit if I didn't have to look at billboards. And could eat bangers and mash.

Snowstorm
12-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't remember the color of the headlights, but I remember during the three years I lived there, at night at least one-third of the drivers would flip to brights just before they reached my vehicle. That flash to brights right in my eyes always infuriated me!

RobinGBrown
12-24-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't remember the color of the headlights, but I remember during the three years I lived there, at night at least one-third of the drivers would flip to brights just before they reached my vehicle. That flash to brights right in my eyes always infuriated me!

You probably had your headlights on full beam - that's how we let you know over here.

Also, re the OP, there are a couple of minor differences with sidelights and indicators. UK cars have yellow indicators that are separate from the head/rear lights. So we don't have those flashing rear lights that you see in American movies. In addition UK cars aren't fitted with side reflectors like American ones.

girlyswot
12-24-2009, 12:55 PM
I still loved it. I got to spend a week in the south of Ireland. Then I also dabbled in York, Edinburgh, and London (and surrounds.) Not even near a tenth of a enough time.

We all have our quirks, but I'd put up with a bit if I didn't have to look at billboards. And could eat bangers and mash.

I would just like to point out that Southern Ireland is not part of the UK and is in no way subject to the UK government. Quite a lot of people have died over the years for suggesting that it is/should be. I wouldn't want you to be one of them.

girlyswot
12-24-2009, 12:57 PM

If people were flashing their headlights at you, you were doing something wrong. Most likely you didn't have your headlights on, or you had them on full beam. Or you were driving on the wrong side of the road...

Shakesbear
12-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Even the SPELLING of humor is funny...

Originals are sometimes not valued as they should be ... :-(((

Perks
12-24-2009, 09:07 PM
I would just like to point out that Southern Ireland is not part of the UK and is in no way subject to the UK government. Quite a lot of people have died over the years for suggesting that it is/should be. I wouldn't want you to be one of them.
On no! Of course not. It was just part of my trip as well as my tumble through the UK. I enjoyed that corner of the world immensely.