Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6964480.ece

Do we call this The Shakespeare Code?

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited { color:#06c; } Three mysterious signatures on pages of parchment bound in leather and kept under lock and key may prove the theory that William Shakespeare was a secret Catholic who spent his “lost years” in Italy.

An exhibition at the Venerable English College, the seminary in Rome for English Catholic priests, has revealed cryptic names in its guest books for visiting pilgrims, suggesting that the playwright sought refuge there.

Imagine the movie: Tom Hanks can star as an unassuming scholar type who discovers these 3 "secret signatures" and goes on a quest across Europe to prove the conspiracy to cover it up throughout history! So, who has Dan Brown's e-mail...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The "Shakespeare was a secret Catholic" theory has been around since the 18th century, and there is much better evidence than this ("Shfordus" means "Shakespeare from Stratford"? Really?) to support it.

Also, while I'm being cranky, Leonardo didn't have a last name. "da Vinci" was a cognomen; calling Leonardo da Vinci "da Vinci" is like calling Eric the Red "the Red".

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I always just called him "Yo, Red." But we went way back.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine the movie: Tom Hanks can star as an unassuming scholar type who discovers these 3 "secret signatures" and goes on a quest across Europe to prove the conspiracy to cover it up throughout history! So, who has Dan Brown's e-mail...
Meanwhile, Gwynneth Paltrow and Joseph Fiennes can fall in love all over again! It'll be a sequel within a movie within a movie wrapped in an enigma surrounded by a riddle and covered in phyllo dough with spinach and feta cheese! Or something.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Also, while I'm being cranky, Leonardo didn't have a last name. "da Vinci" was a cognomen; calling Leonardo da Vinci "da Vinci" is like calling Eric the Red "the Red".

Leonardo of Vinci - Vinci is a small town in Tuscany

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Leonardo of Vinci - Vinci is a small town in Tuscany

Yes. It's not a last name, though. It's a cognomen, like "the Red," only it means "from Vinci."

This is confusing because many cognomens became last names as history wore on ("de Lafayette" and so forth), but Leonardo did not have a last name.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
And hook Brown up with King and add about 60+ more folks and all their details, plus a couple of dogs, (you get to see what they think too), and add about 250 extra pages of type and I bet you have a best seller.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Yes. It's not a last name, though. It's a cognomen, like "the Red," only it means "from Vinci."

This is confusing because many cognomens became last names as history wore on ("de Lafayette" and so forth), but Leonardo did not have a last name.

Why not? Was he a natural child?

painkillers

Learning by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Natural child? I am not sure what that means.

As for Shakespear. Everybody knows it was Kit Marlowe working for the papacy to destabalise Britain and lead it into civil war. It worked too, only a hundred years later. They say the new model army went into battle crying, "There's something rotten in the heart of Denmark."

(The natural child question is real the rest not so much)

painkillers

Learning by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, right, the other words for that ain't PC any more then. I can see why to be honest, but i had never heard it before. Cool, good to know.

painkillers

Learning by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Natural child is the Renaissance term for it, which is why I used it. ;)

ETA wink because it my post sounded snotty when I re-read it. didn't mean it that way. honest.

I didn't read it that way, honest.:)

And natural child being the renaissance term is even cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.