PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Systemic Arthritis

SarahMacManus
12-22-2009, 08:44 PM
I have some of the basic facts, but would like info from someone with firsthand experience:

Age of onset parameters?
Duration of symptoms? Age of remission (if applicable)
Affect on socialization and school attendance:

Particularly odious/tedious/painful therapies?

I appreciate any feedback. I've been looking for support groups and forums online and not finding much.

Thanks.

GeorgeK
12-24-2009, 11:40 PM
My daughter has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthitis of the Polyarticular variety. I've never heard the term "Juvenile Systemic Athritis". Perhaps you just needed the proper name to Google. She has needle tracks from all the lab draws to monitor everything that would be potentially damaged by the drugs like Methotrexate and Prednisone. Now days they use weekly to biweekly injectable meds like Embrel and Humira

Visit a Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children and you'll see toddlers with walkers.

SarahMacManus
01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
My daughter has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthitis of the Polyarticular variety. I've never heard the term "Juvenile Systemic Athritis". Perhaps you just needed the proper name to Google. She has needle tracks from all the lab draws to monitor everything that would be potentially damaged by the drugs like Methotrexate and Prednisone. Now days they use weekly to biweekly injectable meds like Embrel and Humira

Visit a Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children and you'll see toddlers with walkers.

Thank you so much for answering and that helps a lot. I'm mostly interested in how it effects school attendance and socialization and now I hate to ask like this, because it's rather cold and callous. I suppose it would each child differently as far as socialization, but does she miss a lot of school? Unable to participate in many activities?

I've actually found a great deal of medical/treatment information on the systemic variety although it's more frequently called Still's disease. What I'm not finding on Google is how these children feel about their lives, or how they must live it that might affect how they feel.

Still's disease has a high rate of recovery and I wanted some information on how having lived with it as a child would affect a young adult person as far as the friends they had made, school performance, current health confidence, etc.

I do hope your daughter also recovers completely. Thank you for your time and help.