What are the percentage chances?

Sophocles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a well-known 'top-flight' agent repping me, who has 40+ years in the game, and reps some pretty famous authors; my questions are: now they have taken on my book, what are the chances that it will get published, and also, what are the wait times? (My agent has already given me this info of course, but I want some added info from outside), and are my chances better than a normal agent, or is this thing just a dice roll no matter who reps you?

One more: what time of year is the best time to send out a MS to editors?

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas,

Sop

BrigidMary23

Paranormal YA Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brigidkemmerer.blogspot.com
Well, there's a saying: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity."

A lot of it is the book you wrote, and your promotional efforts. A lot of it is timing, and the publisher, and your ability to market yourself.

A lot of it is a dice roll.

Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Your promotional efforts don't matter at this point. If the agent really is top flight, your chances are considerably better than fifty-fifty. That's about all I can say.

Waiting time can be two days or a year.

Why worry about the best time to send anything to editors? That's the agent's job.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
In the same boat, prepare to become insane with waiting :( Good luck nonetheless.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that agents sell about 50% of debut novels they represent. Which 50% you end up in depends on the strength of your book, the connections of your agent, the conditions in the market, and the phases of the moon.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've read that agents sell about 50% of debut novels they represent. Which 50% you end up in depends on the strength of your book, the connections of your agent, the conditions in the market, and the phases of the moon.

It depends entirely on the agent. Some sell very, very few of the debut writers they sign, and some sell darned near 100%.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, the percentages vary according to agent, but your chances depend on the novel you've written because a good novel hooks the stellar agent. A successful agent with a full roster of clients will only *accept* a debut novel if it's eminently brilliant and supremely marketable. An agent with a great reputation gets you more serious editorial consideration, but if he or she tries to push through subpar projects, that great reputation won't last too long.