Police procedure question / re: grunt work

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
In what I'm working on, my detective needs to call the station and instruct someone to start calling cab companies to find out who picked up a certain fare at a specific time, while he goes to do something else. Who does that kind of work, uniformed officers? Or is there a specific job for that kind of thing?

What about going before a judge for a warrant? Can he get someone to do that while he's off investigating?

If it matters, the detective is from the Las Vegas Metro Police Department (in case there's something specific in the way they do it).

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
In police work, generally speaking, the crappiest jobs fall to first rookie you can find.

In your first example, the most junior guy in the detective squad would get to work the phones. If your MC tried to get a uniform patrolman to do it, the desk sergeant would most likely tell him to pound rock salt up his ass.

Your second example is trickier. You'd need someone knowledgeable about the investigation to make the warrant application. If not the lead investigator, it would likely have to be that guys partner, or someone else who can answer everything about the case that the prosecutor and the judge are going to ask.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Your second example is trickier. You'd need someone knowledgeable about the investigation to make the warrant application. If not the lead investigator, it would likely have to be that guys partner, or someone else who can answer everything about the case that the prosecutor and the judge are going to ask.

What about a telephone warrant? Can't the detective call it in himself?

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
What about a telephone warrant? Can't the detective call it in himself?

If the court's willing, that would be the better way. Of course, he'd still be distracted from his investigation while making the application.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, beyond the shadow of a doubt, but how much time would it take to file the petition by phone and argue the case? I guess it depends on the judge and the crime under investigation, but calling it in has got to be quicker than driving from the scene to the courthouse and going through the whole process in person.

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
The actual application can be as quick as two minutes. It's the lead-up and waiting on judges and prosecutors that can take hours.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's the detective's investigation, however he can call another fellow detective that is not busy and ask him to do the follow-up. Or he may simply call the district-division and ask his sergeant to assign another detective for the follow-up. With the cab co. -- cab companies can give info to police without a subpoena.

If the detective has first-hand info that is required to obtain a search warrant and or arrest warrant through a judge, any detective in the detective's office can do this for him/her.

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys. The detective is currently operating in the immediate (less than 1 hour) aftermath of a crisis--a military attack on a civilian helicopter (piloted by my main character, who is not the detective) over the Las Vegas Strip--and the man they want is at large. The police also believe the main character shot and killed a highway patrolman before commandeering the helicopter. The FBI is trying to get involved, Nellis AFB is disavowing the attack, the FAA is descending on Vegas, and the media vultures are on their way. My main character is a very wanted man.

Based on what you guys said, finding someone to get the warrant while my detective does his thing shouldn't be an issue. All the judge has to do is turn on CNN for some evidence. :)

(that last comment was tongue in cheek and in no way reflects my beliefs on the fourth amendment)

Last edited:

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
In the "Law & Order-verse", the DA's office is the one getting the warrant, not the detectives. But I have seen other films and dramas where the detectives appear to do it themselves. I wonder which it is.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
In most police departments and detective divisions, you will have the walking wounded. Police work is rough on the body and officers and detectives sometimes get injured. They are well enough to perform office work, but not field duty. Those people will do most of the paperwork and grunt work you mention.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
In the "Law & Order-verse", the DA's office is the one getting the warrant, not the detectives. But I have seen other films and dramas where the detectives appear to do it themselves. I wonder which it is.

It probably depends on where you are. Here, you type your probable cause affadavit and bring it to the DA's Intake division. A DA will read it and approve it. They will then type the warrant application. You then take them to downstairs to the Probable Cause Judge and they swear you in, review it, and then sign it. Sometimes they might ask you a couple of questions before they sign it. But usually if you have everything in order they sign it and then you are on your way.