Opinions wanted

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you were traveling across parts of three states to go stay with a brother you are not close to, would you bring your dog without mentioning it or asking if it was OK?

I have to get off and go do some 'dog-proofing', but I'll check back later for opinions. Oh, and this is a border collie mix type dog. Not huge, but not Haggis sized either. And we have hard wood floors everywhere.

MM

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that. I'd definitely bring it up beforehand, or at least beat around the bush to feel out the person I'm gonna visit.

I have a border collie...she's such a great dog, but she's still a dog. She sheds, she barks when someone closes a car door, and she plays ball constantly which might be annoying to some.

Wouldn't bring her without permission...common courtesy.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that, but I have a brother who would, and has. He would bring his two pitbulls with him everywhere...even for holiday dinners and believe it or not, funerals. A few years ago another family member got fed up and told him to stash the dogs in the car or take them home. He's been much more considerate since.

He seemed a little embarrassed when confronted about it. I really don't think he had ever considered that his dogs were an inconvenience on anyone. To him, they were just part of the family.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
that's pretty rude. How did you find out if he didn't mention it?

Personally, I'd clean out an area, throw a blanket and some food/water bowls and maybe a tennis ball back there and block it with a baby gate.

If, when you meet the dog and it's nice and won't go getting into everything, you can decide to give them more space, but otherwise I'd just say:

"Bob--here is your room, and Poochie, here is yours. This is what we have to offer."

and I'm a huge dog lover, but don't have any delusions that others will feel the same about my pets. :)

Good luck.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You absolutely have to ask if it's okay, and you may need to be prepared for an answer you won't be happy with, especially if your brother is not a dog owner.

My brother has a dog, but when he comes to visit me, the dog doesn't. I don't have anything against dogs, but I don't want one in my home. And my landlord doesn't want one in my home, either...

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
If I didn't like my brother, I'd bring the dog! :D

Seriously though, I'd ask first. I have four cats. They are all inside cats. I would be unhappy if someone showed up with a dog and I didn't know about it. Actually, I wouldn't be near as unhappy as the dog would be when my cats got ahold of it. They are not nice to dogs.

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
If you were traveling across parts of three states to go stay with a brother you are not close to, would you bring your dog without mentioning it or asking if it was OK?

I have to get off and go do some 'dog-proofing', but I'll check back later for opinions. Oh, and this is a border collie mix type dog. Not huge, but not Haggis sized either. And we have hard wood floors everywhere.

MM
Uh, no. Bad form. I used to have this very same sort of doggy-mix. And hardwood floors aren't a big deal with dogs unless their nails aren't clipped properly (for the most part).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Always ask first.

But if a person is coming to a home that has pets, they have to understand the pets live there they don't.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
oh wow! No never! I don't think I would even ask- Dog would be boarded, no question about it! That is terribly rude and inconsiderate- In fact if someone did that to me I would give them a list of boarding kennels nearby and if there was no room, so sorry but NO! Bye bye to guest and Dog. ( I have three dogs and one of them does not play nice with others)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

MM
No, I absolutely would not. But my sister-in-law would. This summer my DH invited her to join us on a camping trip. Not only did she bring her dog (even though we'd boarded ours for the trip), she failed to bring her tent because she "couldn't find it." Then she got all pouty and pissy when she had to sleep in her car because there wasn't room for her to crowd into our tiny pop up.

We did let her daughter sleep in the pop up. It's not her fault her mother is a moron.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score

MM

I would ask... and if he complained or said "NO", then I'd refuse to go! :) My dogs go everywhere with me but I'm lucky in that they are welcome at my destinations...but some people just don't like dogs and that would make it very uncomfortable for your pooch.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I would ask first. :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I would not even consider it no matter how well we got along.

It's not fair to them or the dog.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know that I am not a complete grinch. Brother, SIL, and dog arrived about 11 pm last night. When they are 12 hours into a 16 hour drive is not the time to let us know they are bringing the dog. Dog is spending the week in my office (which has carpet) and the back yard. This is a nice and well behaved dog, and we like dogs. But there is no where in the house to confine her without crossing hard wood to get there.

MM

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
Thanks for letting me know that I am not a complete grinch. Brother, SIL, and dog arrived about 11 pm last night. When they are 12 hours into a 16 hour drive is not the time to let us know they are bringing the dog. Dog is spending the week in my office (which has carpet) and the back yard. This is a nice and well behaved dog, and we like dogs. But there is no where in the house to confine her without crossing hard wood to get there.

MM
*headdesk*

Yeah, that's sort of the worst time to bring up the dog thing... Tell him if he ever plans to do that again, if he wants poochy to have more freedom, bring some inexpensive carpets. :\

Titania

^o^
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, 12 hrs into a 16 hr drive is not quite the best of times... but hey maybe they would have put the dog up in a nearby kennel or something if you'd said absolutely no way =)