Status
Not open for further replies.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I just received my first royalty statement and have been carrying it around for a week. It's kind of fascinating. Most of it is pretty self explanatory. But I did have a couple of questions:

I'm sure these are different from publisher to publisher, but does anyone know what "sales level" means? It's expressed in XX,000.

Also, I haven't sold through my advance yet, but for an unknown, first time author of a short story collection I don't think the numbers are too bad. I'm sure this is also something that is all over the place, but is there a a general rule as to how long it takes (let's say) a first time author to sell through? This may be impossible to answer given different sized advances and all. But let's just pretend I happen to earn out my advance in a year, will my publisher be happy or like "well, that took long enough."?

terrie

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Some sell through rather quickly others never at all. So I don't think you'll get a solid answer on that question.

That being said, congrats on both!

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Icerose and Arya, thanks for the replies. I was suspecting that. It's such an apples and oranges deal. I'll keep reading around the 'net. Thanks again.

t

Deleted member 42

Icerose and Arya, thanks for the replies. I was suspecting that. It's such an apples and oranges deal. I'll keep reading around the 'net. Thanks again.

t

If you have an agent, I'd call and ask to talk about the royalty statement.

They are weird, squirrely things, and it's never a bad idea to discuss them.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Medievalist, I think I'll do that. I need to shoot him off a synopsis anyway. He's seen enough of these things to know what it all means. Thanks and why didn't I think of that?

t

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Whoever you talk to, be prepared for answers that taste like fudge. I've received a bunch of royalty statements, I've talked to agents, editors, and accountants about them, and I'm not sure anyone has a clue what everything means.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Oh, James, I think I love that answer best. I've been Googling my little brain out and am surprised at how little information there is. I think it's time to start working on my next book and stop worrying about numbers.

terrie

Deleted member 42

Oh, James, I think I love that answer best. I've been Googling my little brain out and am surprised at how little information there is. I think it's time to start working on my next book and stop worrying about numbers.

terrie

There's no inducement to make royalty statements understandable, or even similar.

I once had the bright idea [cough] of writing a sort of how to read a royalty statement tutorial. I coerced convinced friends to donate copies with identifying information about author and publisher blacked out.

It was not really possible; the same thing is called umpteen different things, and there's stuff on some that is entirely missing on others, and there are some that require you to perform arcane mathematical exercises . . .

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Lee, ;) Valid excuse to e-mail the Man? I think SO!

Medievalist, wow. That is exactly how I felt, scratching my head at these Google searches. I commend you for trying to put together a How To Read Royalty Statements tutorial. A lot of work, but maybe it could be a book. I've seen How to Find and Agent, How to Get Published, How to Promote Yourself, you might have found a great niche. I'll buy a copy!

And if math is involved, arcane or not, I'm a goner.

Status
Not open for further replies.