A Question of Rights

Jens22

The Trolley is Out There
Registered
Reaction score
I recently sold a short story to a kids' magazine. They bought all rights. Let's say the story was about a character named Anthropomorphic Alligator.

Do I have the right to use Anthropomorphic Alligator in another story, or did I sign that away?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I assume you sold publishing rights, not the copyright.

If you just sold all publishing rights -- they have translation, compilation, serial, dramatic, etc. etc. for that story. If you kept copyright you still can use your own characters in other stories.

I'm not a lawyer. For a real answer, talk to a real lawyer.

Jens22

The Trolley is Out There
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! Looks like I "irrevocably sold, transferred, and assigned" the story and "all rights, title, and interest in and to this material including, but not limited to, the copyright and all renewals and extensions thereof, throughout the world" to the magazine.

Not that I really WANT to write another story about Anthropomorphic Alligator, but my mother really digs the character and keeps hassling me to do more (but I suppose that's a topic for another thread altogether) :)

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
Call the switchboard of the magazine, ask for the contracts department, introduce yourself and then ask them. Contracts people hardly ever get to talk to authors themselves, only cranky agents and cranky editors, so, providing you're polite, they can be surprisingly helpful and informative.