Shattered Horizons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so, a friend of me gave me a three day pass for Shattered Horizons and I've been playing the HELL out of it.

Its simple and yet complex, and easily one of the most entertaining and original FPS experiences I've ever played. Basically the moon has slightly exploded and now the faction responsible must be brought to justice. The international space agency is sent up after them and now war rages in LEO.

Everyone has pretty much the same loadout...but what a loadout! Holding down the right mouse button allows you to rotate, while space bar and shift goes up and down respectively. F attaches you to flat surfaces, allowing you to walk and steady your gun for more accurate fire. And finally, "home" will shut your entire suit down. You move slower, you have no HUD, and your "sound simulator" turns off. Why would you ever want to do this?

Well, you vanish from the enemies HUD. Its a chilling and creepily effective stealth mode...nothing like burning hard and going silent to float gently through space, like a harmless bit of derbies or a corpse, then suddenly opening up and taking out an enemy squad from an ambush position.

The gun is simple but versatile. It acts as a mid ranged assault rifle, and when zoomed in, it can be used as a sniper rifle (warning: This tends to send you into a serious roll unless you are mounted on a wall). And finally, it has a three use grenade launcher with three different kinds of grenades.

MPR: Blows enemies away, allowing you to knock them out of cover. If you're good, you can send them hurtling off into space, where they'll eventually die of micrometeorite impacts (And a good chance to reference Firefly)

EMP: Disables suits, meaning they can't turn very fast, their crosshairs don't work, and they are generally pretty crippled. They CAN still shoot, so be careful!

ICE: Fills the air with ice particles, making it a bitch to see anything.

So far, I've played 4 maps. My favorite has to be The Arc, where you are just in a huge stream of asteroids. Its fast and yet oddly detached feeling. The entire game is cold and sterile feeling, even while the bullets and bombs are going off all over the place. Kills are fast and effective playing is all about maneuver, stealth, and position. A well positioned, well timed attack by one man can kill a dozen enemies.

Specially if he's a good shot.

For 20 bucks, SHattered Horizons is well worth looking into.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
the moon has slightly exploded and now the faction responsible must be brought to justice.
How does it 'slightly' explode?

Is it more of a combat suit type, or are you running around in a mecha?

Sounds too complex for me, and I aint very good with FPS PvP :S
(Come to think of it, I aint much good at any sort of PvP :p)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Is there online play?

I must say, I like the look of the maps. Very hazardous looking :D

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Really.
So was that tough-sounding dude at the beginning just a voice-over for the benefit of the vid?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No, there is a voice over that updates the situation. Like, if you fire a EMP grenade, your character automatically says that they are firing an EMP grenade so everyone around you knows you just popped one off.

Kemp

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it looks like this game is DX10 only. Bah, reinstalling Vista isn't worth the hassle.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Get Windows 7, which is awesome and made of win. Its like Vista was the evil twin brother who usurped Windows 7's throne and has been ruling in tyranny for the past few years, only now to be deposed by his good brother.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Get Windows 7, which is awesome and made of win. Its like Vista was the evil twin brother who usurped Windows 7's throne and has been ruling in tyranny for the past few years, only now to be deposed by his good brother.
Really?
The consensus I seemed to hear was that it didn't offer much improvement over Vista in terms of gaming.

Kemp

Registered
Reaction score
Well, there wasn't anything necessarily wrong with Vista when it came to gaming; just that you need a pile more RAM installed just to accommodate the OS (which is really dumb).

Well, this is also assuming that Vista issues and bugs didn't cause crashes or issues with your games either.

I couldn't play Sins of a Solar Empire with Vista. The game wouldn't launch at all because of a 'Runtime Error' of some variety. Fallout 3 seemed to crash a little more often on Vista than XP, but then again that game crashed so bloody often that I don't know that it was a noticeable difference. I remember that whenever I'd hit 'Quit' inside Half-Life: 2, Team Fortress 2, or Left 4 Dead (Valve/source games, basically), it would crash to desktop. I didn't complain much, since I was trying to do that anyway, but it was weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.