Suspect Email From AW?

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
<tt><tt>
I just went to my email and saw this message. Is it spam? Has anyone ever received one of these messages? Mods do you know? I know spammers are really good, but what in heavens name could you find out about me here. That I post silly pictures of my dogs, have two failed attempts at novels, work for DS and am as nutty as a fruitcake at times. It didn't say to click on a link, so I thought it might be real. I mean, who in the hell would do this? Were they going to post mean and nasty comments under my name? Perhaps put a cat as my avatar?

Dear joyce,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Absolute Write Water
Cooler with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has
been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next
15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP
address: 94.23.244.108

All the best,
Absolute Write Water Cooler
</tt></tt>

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It could mean someone is trying to log in as you and it failed. I don't think it's spam. It is form though. Was it you who got your password wrong?

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds real to me. Now, if it asked you to link your bank account # to confirm your identity, I might be suspicious. ;)

Run the IP through WhoIs and see what you find out.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It could mean someone is trying to log in as you and it failed. I don't think it's spam. It is form though. Was it you who got your password wrong?

I never have to use my password to get here. Firefox remembers it for me and I'm the only one in the house on the computer....unless the darn dog tried to log in. I just thought it weird someone would try to get into my AW account.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sounds real to me. Now, if it asked you to link your bank account # to confirm your identity, I might be suspicious. ;)

Run the IP through WhoIs and see what you find out.

So what do I do? Google WhoIs, to to their site and type in the IP number? Sorry, never heard of them and didn't have a clue on how to find out who belongs to IP numbers. Thanks

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never have to use my password to get here. Firefox remembers it for me and I'm the only one in the house on the computer....unless the darn dog tried to log in. I just thought it weird someone would try to get into my AW account.

Well, then, it's safe to say someone was trying to log in as you and say mean and wierd things. Or they forgot their user name. They are probably looking at us right now.

:wag: ha ha it didn't work and now we have your esp address.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
The system sends those as a courtesy, and the fifteen-minute lock-out is to prevent someone from cracking your password with a script.

I'm going to go take a look at the IP, and see what comes to light.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I did before the thread disappeared. It's registered in Amsterdam, so...dunno what that means!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hmm. It actually doesn't look like anyone's registered on AW at that particular IP - which doesn't mean much, of course, in and of itself.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I did before the thread disappeared. It's registered in Amsterdam, so...dunno what that means!

Thanks everyone. I still think it is strange. I guess if you can break into my password one place, perhaps they think they'll get lucky somewhere else. They'd give my identity back really quick in this economy.

Amsterdam......well I probably do have long, lost relatives over there. My family sailed on a ship from Amsterdam and came to the U.S. in 1712, so who knows. It sounds like the "bad seed" side of the family. Isn't Amsterdam filled with pot smokers? :D

If you see my avatar change into a cat, well you know the Amsterdam Hackers stole my password.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You might think about changing your password for AW. You do this via your User CP, under the Edit Your Details section.

Please pick a password that is at least 8 characters in length.
Don't use a name or a date or actual words in any language.
Use a mix of letters and numbers, and punctuation marks.
Be creative. Don't use words that can be found in a dictionary.
Use at least eight characters.
Don't use a password that you have used elsewhere.
Don't use keyboard patterns (asdf) or sequential numbers (1234).
Don't make your password all numbers, all uppercase letters, or all lowercase letters.
You might use a phrase as inspiration, and then use the first letter of each word, making sure to also use one or more numbers.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The ISP is in Roubaix, France, part of a block distributed by OVH SAS, which routes most traffic through Paris before sending it onward.

Lousy furriners. <--Joke.

Sounds like a hack or crack attempt. Change your password to something unguessable and keep an eye on the account.

Maryn, hoping none of the dogs are poodles, French bulldogs, etc.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. It actually doesn't look like anyone's registered on AW at that particular IP - which doesn't mean much, of course, in and of itself.
Woops, I must have misspoke and got misunderstood again... I'm imagining someone named joyce trying to register with that ID and seeing it already used, idiotically trying to log in with it...

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Whoever they are, it seems like they've been quite busy lately, according to this site. I haven't had any problems since the other night.

Susie, if it was you trying to log into AW as me.....well, you could only make me sound like a really, really, nice person and everyone would love me. You can steal my identity anytime you'd like. Just don't try to get any money because there isn't any to be gotten. :D

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, that is so sweet of you. Right back atcha! *Blush* Everybody loves you, for sure. I know what ya mean about no money. :D :Cake: 4 U! :Hug2:s