Oh, deer.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Yesterday afternoon I looked up from my computer (it's in front of a big window) and spied a deer romping through the field in front of my house--and he was trotting along my walking trail! It looked like a young buck, and he was just goofing off, kicking his feet out to the side and having a great time. Then he disappeared into the woods. About 10 minutes later, he came back out, trotted along the trail toward the house and hopped into the woods at a different spot. Just like he owned the place. lol

But before that, early yesterday morning while on our way to the post office, we spotted a huge coyote about a half mile from the house. It was one of the biggest I've seen!

Said all that to say this: I walk every afternoon, just about dusk, when it's coolest. My trail circles our property and about a quarter of a mile of it leads right beside the woods. I've seen bobcats, deer, coyotes, foxes, and snakes here (and that's not counting all the little critters like rabbits, opposums, skunks, turtles, hawks, etc.). As I walked along, I suddenly came to the realization that I didn't even have so much as a stick with me! Guess I'd better start taking a walking stick or something just in case I need to scare anything away.

I'll be using all these experiences in essays or articles. Unless something gets me first. :D

Last edited:

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Anne -- I'd love to go for a walk on that trail with you! Of course, we'll need self-defense sticks -- even if we take my fearsome basset with us. This morning Howard and I went for a walk in the foothills, and I spotted a little black bunny hopping around less than six feet from us. Howard, whose genetic forebearers were formidable rabbit hunters, never even saw it.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
:ROFL: I love Howard.

He must be in the same club as Taffy, my little mixed breed pooch. I swear there's some sort of agreement between her and all the resident rabbits. They don't bother her when she naps on the porch and she won't chase them when they're standing right in front of her nose. lol

I'm serious--the rabbits don't even run when she's close to them! I think they know she's retired. After all, she is 13. :)

Come on down, Rose, and we'll walk that nature trail! Maybe Taffy and Howard can at least carry the sticks for us. lol

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Anne,

Even with a walking stick, be careful! Deer, especially doe with young ones, are known to get up on their hind legs and charge to protect their young. Those front hooves can do some real damage. I know a hunter who was charged by a buck and has a nasty scar on his forearm as a result.

It’s great to see all the wildlife in our yards! Most will shy away with human presence, but when they get accustomed to you being around, you sometimes don’t know how they’ll react in certain situations.

Each time you post something about the animals in your yard, it makes me want to visit my daughter and hop over to see you, your trails and wonderful wildlife. :)

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
A black bunny? Wouldn't that have to be a domestic one, an escaped pet? Wild rabbits are camouflage color.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
reph said:
A black bunny? Wouldn't that have to be a domestic one, an escaped pet? Wild rabbits are camouflage color.

:ROFL: Reph, I couldn't help laughing. I know what you mean by camouflage color, but when I saw the word camouflage, all I could picture was military fatigues shades of green. Now that would be an odd color bunny!

I think you're right about the black bunny possibly being a domestic.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Joanne, speaking of being careful around the deer...a couple of years ago there was a terrible accident on the interstate. A deer leapt from an embankment and went through the windshield of a truck. The driver died after the deer's sharp hoof sliced his juglar vein! Just a freak accident, but a horrible thing to think about.

On a more pleasant note, I had a brief conversation with an American goldfinch this morning. He was sitting on a power line above my head and I whistled to him. He whistled back! I have no idea what we talked about, but it was nice. :)

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the black bunny is an escaped (or abandoned) domestic animal. S/he has a little brown bunny friend.

I've chatted with fellow trail walkers about the bunnies, and the consensus seems to be to leave them alone. Do you agree? They've been doing okay for several months, but I wonder if a life on the lam is the best option for them.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Peace, peace! There are enough jobs to go around. Joanne talks with animals. Anne sings with them.

Now, where's the horse whisperer?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
Peace, peace! There are enough jobs to go around. Joanne talks with animals. Anne sings with them.

Now, where's the horse whisperer?

I'm here! Well, will horse babbler work? I grew up on a ranch and no kids lived nearby, so I babbled to my horses. They never showed the slightest bit of interest in what I was saying, but I know deep down they were sooo intrigued by my theroies of why Johnny pushed Sara down at school, and how I was pretty sure Mrs. Mean (my second grade teacher) was an alien living among us in human form.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Wow, reph, you're good! All you had to do was mention horse whisperer and one shows up. :)

Greetings, storygirl! Glad you stopped by. Horse babbling is perfectly acceptable in here. :D

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Rose, one of my neighbors released his pet rabbits and we didn't know he had done it. For weeks we thought we were seeing things because we kept catching glimpses of white rabbits whenever we passed his place. Finally I got around to mentioning it to someone and they told me what he had done. Didn't seem like a real great idea to me, what with all the predators around here!

Wonder if the tame rabbits would breed with the wild rabbits?