14-month book evaluation...(??!)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It has now been 14 months since I submitted a requested book proposal and complete MS to a publisher. Not a big-name, but no small potatoes either. (This was the result of a writer's conference interview.) The initial reaction was very positive, and electronic submission was requested and sent as well. After the one-yr. mark, I drummed up the courage to finally call the editor, as several written queries had been ignored. The editor answered immediately and was very pleasant on the phone, and said that the book 'was still under consideration,' and had definitely not been rejected. Is this possible?? Any idea what might be going on here? I was convinced it was in a reject pile somewhere, and was so flabbergasted, I had no further questions. But now I'm wondering how often should I pester them about it?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Pat--This seems to be a positive, if not longish, response. The manuscript might be past the editorial faction, and might now be with an in-house marketing board who just might have the final say. I would bite the bullet and wait this out another few months befor contacting them again. I realise that the wait must be maddening, but to let it consume you any further would be counter-productive. Do you have anymore submissions out there for the same manuscript? You might line some up just in case.

Triceratops

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It is possible. As frustrating and agonizing it is for a writer, publishers do have backlogs and they can only publish that many books a year and there's a queue, even for books in production (I know, I'm going through a production process right now), not to mention proposals under consideration. I also joke that while in the IT business, turn-around time is about 6 months on average, it's probably like 18 months in publishing...

The fact is, the editor told you it was still under consideration. So it's a good thing. The editor could have just told you it'd been rejected. Unfortunately, at this point, all you can do is wait. Yes, I know, it's mind numbing sometimes, and it's good that you have something else going on. People keep telling me publishing is a very slow business. It is true.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Pat--This seems to be a positive, if not longish, response. The manuscript might be past the editorial faction, and might now be with an in-house marketing board who just might have the final say. I would bite the bullet and wait this out another few months befor contacting them again. I realise that the wait must be maddening, but to let it consume you any further would be counter-productive. Do you have anymore submissions out there for the same manuscript? You might line some up just in case.

Triceratops

Thanks for the words of encouragement, both of you. This was the first thing I ever wrote, and I've since decided that although I'm enthusiastic about the content, I'm not completely sold on it myself as to its format--so I'm holding off submitting it anywhere else. If this publisher ends up rejecting it I'll rewrite it and submit it to the other publisher that requested it, asking that I condense the first 3 chapters into one.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
pb10220 said:
Thanks for the words of encouragement, both of you. This was the first thing I ever wrote, and I've since decided that although I'm enthusiastic about the content, I'm not completely sold on it myself as to its format--so I'm holding off submitting it anywhere else. If this publisher ends up rejecting it I'll rewrite it and submit it to the other publisher that requested it, asking that I condense the first 3 chapters into one.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but if they haven't decided after 14 months, I would move on. If you aren't happy with it at this point, it's probably better to rewrite and make it the best you can. Why would you want to publish a book you're not really happy with, anyway? We are a small publisher, but I wouldn't sit on a book for more than a year if I liked it enough to publish it.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nomad, as you're an editor I really appreciate your input! You make a very valid point, and one which I've considered these past several months. The only problem is, I don't want to invest the time rewriting specifically for editor # 2 (or even doing a completely new version for all subsequent editors, which is really my present vision) if there's even a remote chance of hearing a 'yes, but rewrite it this way' from editor #1. There's my quandary. I'm basically lazy. I know beyond a doubt it'll be rewritten somehow before being published but am not sure HOW it'll be rewritten. To tell you the truth, I just spent last year teaching it (it's a Bible study), and I'm a little tired of it, anyway! I think I'll just let it percolate till Christmas, and then revisit the idea of a completely new way of packaging it. Maybe time will give me a little more direction.

Thanks for the comments!