PDA

View Full Version : Words that should be banished

Pages : [1] 2

RevisionIsTheKey
12-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Lake Superior State University compiles a list each year of words (and expressions) that should be banned due to misuse, overuse, or general all-around uselessness. You can access the latest list (and archived lists back to 1970-something) here: http://www.lssu.edu/banished/

A few I would vote to banish are:

2009 - game-changer
2008 - throw someone under the bus
back in the day
2005 - über

What words/expressions drive you nuts?

:Headbang:

Matera the Mad
12-18-2009, 07:01 AM
SO

momentarily

CACTUSWENDY
12-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Every time I hear....'the truth of the matter is'......I know a lie is next. lol

Just listen to how often folks in power say that.

lividseras
12-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Lake Superior State University compiles a list each year of words (and expressions) that should be banned due to misuse, overuse, or general all-around uselessness. You can access the latest list (and archived lists back to 1970-something) here: http://www.lssu.edu/banished/

A few I would vote to banish are:

2009 - game-changer
2008 - throw someone under the bus
back in the day
2005 - über

What words/expressions drive you nuts?

:Headbang:
"Epic" and "your mom". Cant stand it. I hear it all day from friends and co-workers... guess thats what i get for being my age! :)

RevisionIsTheKey
12-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Every time I hear....'the truth of the matter is'......I know a lie is next. lol

Just listen to how often folks in power say that.

So true. You can also be sure that when someone starts off with "With all due respect...," the rest of the sentence serves to insult the person being respected.

JoNightshade
12-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Preggers.

OH DEAR LORD how I hate this term. I am PREGNANT. Okay? PREGNANT. It's the SAME NUMBER OF SYLLABLES!!!!!!!!

Gregg
12-18-2009, 07:44 AM
I hate it when during a tv interview a politician pauses and says "look...".
Comes across as very arrogant to me.
As in "look, you idiot, why don't you understand."

Silver King
12-18-2009, 08:02 AM
In my opinion...

We already know it's your opinion, so please get on with it.

Or

To be honest...

Were you not honest before?

mamaesme
12-18-2009, 08:20 AM
My father votes for 'dude'. I think it's my fault. Sometimes it just slips out when I'm talking (see: whining).

Example:
"Dude Dad!"
"I am not a 'dude dad!'"
"It's not offical until it's a shirt."
"Give me a sharpie."

ejaycee
12-18-2009, 08:27 AM
People actually pronouncing "lol", "lmao", "rofl", "omg", "wtf" etc.
"lmao" being "Le-mayo!" in an annoying voice. the amount of girls I hear around Hobart talking like that... grr... *throttles*

"gay" as a derogatory term.

"sick", as in "awesome" or "great".

This brings out the crotchety old woman in me. :D Young 'uns these days, slaughtering my language. Back in my day... *falls asleep*

MissKris
12-18-2009, 08:41 AM
"gay" as a derogatory term.

I was going to post "not a single word or phrase" because I love this language, that it is a breathing, growing, dying thing that has the power to infuriate us, but then I saw this and have to agree. Gay, used in the off-hand way it so often is, makes me sad to be human.

Wayne K
12-18-2009, 08:45 AM
"I think" usually loses me.

ejaycee
12-18-2009, 08:49 AM
I was going to post "not a single word or phrase" because I love this language, that it is a breathing, growing, dying thing that has the power to infuriate us, but then I saw this and have to agree. Gay, used in the off-hand way it so often is, makes me sad to be human.

Agree completely. Growth is important for our language, but careless, stupid changes—like the example given—aren't growth, they're just offensive.

~*Kate*~
12-18-2009, 08:50 AM
So true. You can also be sure that when someone starts off with "With all due respect...," the rest of the sentence serves to insult the person being respected.
See also: "No offense..." (or the southern equivalent, "Bless her heart, but..." which I am totally guilty of using.)

"I think" usually loses me.
I had a history professor who told us the first day he would cut us off the minute we said, "I feel..." in an argument.

maxmordon
12-18-2009, 08:51 AM
We were discussing about words that should disappear on another forum I am proudly a member of and we thought that if Gay, or any other slur for that matter, were bannished; then people would simply use another slur since the idea, the stereotype would still exist much to our dismay.

maxmordon
12-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Some college professor called me Prince I-Think since I pretty much I start with it every time I am going to give my piece of mind on any subject.

Priene
12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Celebrity. Its meaning has recently evolved to mean someone who appeared on a shoddy Reality TV show four years ago.

dancingandflying
12-18-2009, 10:12 AM

I completely agree.

But, our language is always changing, always evolving, and eventually, the derogatory use of "gay" will pass.

d&f.

blacbird
12-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Oftentimes
Utilize
Irregardless

caw

Shakesbear
12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
"Take on board" I hate that with a passion! I had a to sit through a thee hour training session and the 'facilitator' (add that to the list please) started every sentence with that wretched phrase.

Wiskel
12-18-2009, 01:52 PM
"I apologise unreservedly" - especially in the hands of a politician.

There's no better way to make an apology sound insincere.

unthoughtknown
12-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Caper. Ugh.

maryland
12-18-2009, 04:34 PM
You guys - used to address a group mostly composed of women!
Hopefully.

flyingtart
12-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Fab - should have died out with Beatlemania

Oh, and Logistics - what the hell does it mean anyway???

Bubastes
12-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Any word that can be found in a business buzzword bingo game.

girlyswot
12-18-2009, 05:12 PM
'Each and every'. It's tautologous - you can say 'each of them' or 'every one of them' but 'each and every one of them' adds nothing to the meaning.

I also would ban the addition of 'ie' to the end of words to make them sound cuter: 'baggie' instead of 'bag' is a particularly irritating example.

rosiecotton
12-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I'd rather take fingernails on blackboards than hear the word panties!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-18-2009, 05:33 PM
"Take on board" I hate that with a passion! I had a to sit through a thee hour training session and the 'facilitator' (add that to the list please) started every sentence with that wretched phrase.

I'm with you on "facilitator." I'll add all the other phrases we techies get to hear on a very regular basis (I'm a tech writer for my day job, just unemployed right now):

- "Let's take this 'offline' " (in an important meeting) ("what we two have to discuss is far more important than what's being discussed in this meeting, but we'll make a show of being polite by not doing it here")

- "Basically" (developers use this as a filler word to make themselves feel like they're describing something so we unwashed masses can understand it)

I'm sure I'll think of others.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-18-2009, 05:37 PM
See also: "No offense..." (or the southern equivalent, "Bless her heart, but..." which I am totally guilty of using.)

I had a history professor who told us the first day he would cut us off the minute we said, "I feel..." in an argument.

Are there any true daughters of the south that don't say "Bless her heart?" I whip it out up here sometimes, and the Canadians chuckle behind their hands.

Kinda like when I let a "ya'll" slip out. :D

Alpha Echo
12-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Oftentimes
Utilize
Irregardless

caw

Ugh I so agree with these two.

There are things I say that annoy me b/c I say them too often and things I put in my writing that I'm constantly editing out:

even
really

Those are my two most-used and unnecessary words, I believe.

Monkey
12-18-2009, 05:58 PM
"ATM machine" and "Chainmail armor" both irritate me. Anytime a word or phrase is used in a way that suggests that the speaker doesn't actually know what they mean does.

But what REALLY gets me is punctuation abuse. :D

entropic island
12-18-2009, 05:59 PM
No offense...

As in, I'm totally about to offend you. Oh! But you can't get angry, all right?

Puma
12-18-2009, 05:59 PM
My #1 vote - ahold, a hold - almost always incorrect (take ahold of - should be take hold of). Puma

Monkey
12-18-2009, 08:16 PM
"Mom, I've got something to tell you..."

It's never anything good, and lately, it's been expensive.

Kitty Pryde
12-18-2009, 08:44 PM
The word retard, and here's why. No one ever uses it to mean "slow", as in, "My progress down the street was retarded when my rollerskate lost a wheel." The medical/educational field has been moving away from using it to describe people, and moving towards words like "intellectual impairment" and "cognitive disability" and the like. And the use of "retard" and "retarded" to mean "bad, undesirable, stupid, uncool" is ugly, hurtful, and lazy. Therefore I say, relegate this word to the dumpster!

euclid
12-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Retard is a really, really rude word over here. It's so bad that it's NEVER used.

Irregardless is a small Irish joke. I think it originated in Dublin in the forties.

My choices are:

"This moment in time"

and

"Going forward"

Michael J. Hoag
12-18-2009, 09:04 PM
This.

This.

This.

euclid
12-18-2009, 09:13 PM
This.

How can you banish this?

You might as well banish "the" and be done with it.

Michael J. Hoag
12-18-2009, 09:19 PM
I was speaking of a particular trendy web usage that makes me want to claw out my soul.

Remember, "The first man to compare the flabby cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." Dali.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Ugh I so agree with these two.

There are things I say that annoy me b/c I say them too often and things I put in my writing that I'm constantly editing out:

even
really

Those are my two most-used and unnecessary words, I believe.

I'll second those last two and add "just". Not sure why that seems to end up in my writing all the time, but it just drives me crazy. DOH! There I go again.... :D

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-18-2009, 09:29 PM
"Mom, I've got something to tell you..."

It's never anything good, and lately, it's been expensive.

:ROFL:

And precisely the reason I have pets, and not kids!

Kitty Pryde
12-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Retard is a really, really rude word over here. It's so bad that it's NEVER used.

I hear it almost every day from high school kids, my coworkers, and my supposedly educated and kindly friends. When our friends use it, my partner and I must get this sort of evil red glow in our eyes or something, because they usually follow it up with, "oh, oops, sorry!" even though I have given up on telling people they sound like an asshole when they say it.

Libbie
12-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Preggers.

OH DEAR LORD how I hate this term. I am PREGNANT. Okay? PREGNANT. It's the SAME NUMBER OF SYLLABLES!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD THANK YOU. I freaking hate "preggers," and "prego." JUST SAY PREGNANT. GOOD LORD!

DWSTXS
12-18-2009, 09:44 PM
The term 'baby bump'

do you really want to describe a human being as a 'bump'? If so, then you are a bump.

I hate this term. It's stupid, and it always sounds like the user is just trying oh-so-desperately to sound hip.

People who say it are moronic idiots.

Libbie
12-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I also would ban the addition of 'ie' to the end of words to make them sound cuter: 'baggie' instead of 'bag' is a particularly irritating example.

But...but...what about Libbie?

:'(

;)

Libbie
12-18-2009, 09:49 PM
The term 'baby bump'

do you really want to describe a human being as a 'bump'? If so, then you are a bump.

I hate this term. It's stupid, and it always sounds like the user is just trying oh-so-desperately to sound hip.

Word up. I can't stand "baby bump." And the worshiping of all the "celebrities" who have "baby bumps" really makes me wonder if I'm living in an entire world of four-year-olds.

Birol
12-18-2009, 09:49 PM
:ROFL:

And precisely the reason I have pets, and not kids!

Pets can be expensive, t oo.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Pets can be expensive, t oo.

Yes I know, but most do not require college educations.

HipHop<--has a 100 pound Great Pyrenees, and has the grooming bills to prove it.

scarletpeaches
12-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Preggers.

OH DEAR LORD how I hate this term. I am PREGNANT. Okay? PREGNANT. It's the SAME NUMBER OF SYLLABLES!!!!!!!!Or when men say "We're pregnant."

O RLY? Both of you?

DeleyanLee
12-18-2009, 09:58 PM
I remember the first time a friend gleefully squeeled "You're prego!" upon hearing my news.

My instant reply was: "I didn't morph into speghetti sauce. I'm just having a baby."

I truly dislike the pronounciation of text speak like "LOL", especially (but not limited to) use in a sentence: "That was so funny, I LOLed for ten minutes." (actually spoken by my daughter.)

Vandal
12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
The word "so" when used to mean "very much".

I am SO getting those shoes.

I am SO not liking this.

I will SO cut out their tongues if my sons ever speak this way.

scarletpeaches
12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
I use the words 'tard' and 'ghey' all the time and yes, I do spell them like that on MSN.

And I roffle and LOL.

PoppysInARow
12-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Try.

I hate that word sometimes. It becomes like an excuse to do nothing. "I'll try to be there. I'll try not to hate you, I'll try not to kill myself."

It's like, just say if you're going to do it or if you aren't. If you're not going to bethere, just don't be a pussy and say it. It's better than sitting there waiting for you and then you never show up.

:rant:

Rarri
12-18-2009, 10:08 PM
OH MY GOD THANK YOU. I freaking hate "preggers," and "prego." JUST SAY PREGNANT. GOOD LORD!

Oh God, absolutely. I hated hearing that term when i was pregnant and i still hate hearing it, two and a half years later.

DWSTXS
12-18-2009, 10:47 PM
any word that has a W in it that shouldn't because the user wants to sound hip.

rawkin - for rocking

hawt - for hot

These are just stupid.

thewakingself
12-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Any word that can be found in a business buzzword bingo game.

QFT.

Simply, the company needs to embrace change by exploiting their first-mover advantage to drive efficiencies by conceptualizing and architecting brand-centric, seamless, end-to-end, best-of-breed solutions! Pluck the low hanging fruit! Aim for the blue water, but watch for shifting paradigms!

What does that even mean?!

Also, I hate the word 'moist.'

~*Kate*~
12-18-2009, 11:24 PM
The term 'baby bump'

Also "pooch," as in, "Aw, you're pregnant! Look at your cute little pooch!" No. My stomach is not pooching. Now step away slowly.

MissKris
12-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Or when men say "We're pregnant."

O RLY? Both of you?

I loved when my husband said "We're pregnant" because, yeah, it meant both of us. We created the child together and we were supporting each other through the changes the pregnancy brought to our relationship. It's a show of solidarity and, when so many men are pushed out of the pregnancy/child rearing process, a way for me to acknowledge my husband's important role.

MGraybosch
12-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Word up. I can't stand "baby bump." And the worshiping of all the "celebrities" who have "baby bumps" really makes me wonder if I'm living in an entire world of four-year-olds.

Oh, you finally noticed? :evil

Personally, I'd like to backhand people who say "you need to" do something instead of saying "would you please" or "I would like you to" do something.

Wayne K
12-19-2009, 08:16 AM
The word 'Gimme' should go.

C.bronco
12-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Despite my background, I use Google as a verb. My bad.

kdnxdr
12-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm very sick.

I LOVE all words and HATE all words.

I sling them around, stomp on them, put them on pedestals, intentionally irritate people with them and keep many of them very private.

I take full liberty with words and willingly suffer the consequences of my randomness.

Words are the paint in my world and every subject a canvas.

I didn't know that being offensive was out of vogue.

kaitie
12-19-2009, 09:31 AM
"Just saying."

That annoys me to no end.

kaitie
12-19-2009, 09:32 AM
The word "so" when used to mean "very much".

I am SO getting those shoes.

I am SO not liking this.

I will SO cut out their tongues if my sons ever speak this way.

Haha...you should probably never talk to me in person. ;) I use this all the time. I also randomly insert "crazy" to mean the same thing.

Cassiopeia
12-19-2009, 09:40 AM
In my opinion...

We already know it's your opinion, so please get on with it.

Or

To be honest...

Were you not honest before?To further this. In my humble opinion.

See, I happen to know if you have to qualify that it's a humble opinion, chances are it's not humble in the slightest.

Another one I can NOT stand...with all due respect

Sure, you respect me, that's why you use such condescending and diminutive language when addressing me.

Irrespective (overused)
Or is it? (gah, I cured my son of that one by repeatedly using it on him.

kaitie
12-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Interestingly, I've read that people who are lying tend to use the phrase "to be honest" more often than in natural conversation. It's actually considered a potential tell.

Cassiopeia
12-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Interestingly, I've read that people who are lying tend to use the phrase "to be honest" more often than in natural conversation. It's actually considered a potential tell.There's a lot of people who claim that is a tell but it's not necessarily.

Sometimes it's a cultural thing, a trend and just means that's how people express things around them.

I've heard people use the expression, "to be perfectly honest" when what they really mean to say is, "Okay, I'll fully disclose what I am thinking in specific detail."

I've also heard rumor that people who look one direction or the other when relating a story is lying. That doesn't hold water all the time either.

Ya gotta love television. :)

Rarri
12-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Interestingly, I've read that people who are lying tend to use the phrase "to be honest" more often than in natural conversation. It's actually considered a potential tell.

So is touching of the nose, apparently. I do both and it's beginning to give me a complex that people think i'm a compulsive liar.

kaitie
12-19-2009, 04:46 PM
And blinking a lot. I like to watch politicians and see how much of this stuff they do. Though there are people who can lie without any indications whatsoever.

euclid
12-19-2009, 07:43 PM
QFT.

Simply, at this moment in time, the company needs to embrace change by exploiting their our fleeting first-mover advantage to drive efficiencies by conceptualizing and architecting brand-centric, seamless, end-to-end, best-of-breed solutions! Pluck the low hanging fruit! Aim for the blue water, going forward, but watch for be ever wary of moist shifting paradigms!

I loved this so much, I printed it out and stuck it on my wall!
I added a few bits above

kuwisdelu
12-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Here I was hoping this would be a discussion of what words are too ugly to exist.

Instead it's about the connotations of various words and phrases that aren't even necessarily about the word itself but how people use them...

I hate internet speak, but I lol and rofl sometimes. Sometimes I rofl so hard I turn into a roflcopter and I'm all like wtf and my lolkitteh saves meh. But I'm usually being facetious.

This.

And while we're at it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Lolcat/epiccat.jpg

Because the truth of it is, irregardless of what is occurring at this moment in time, basically, some people are just gay and retarded. Not to offend anyone. But to be honest: gay because the memetic mutation of these phrases are causing a homogeneity of language that feels a lot like surprise sodomy when the lube of more mellifluous words and phrases would be preferred. And retarded because it's seriously slowing what could be an epic evolution of our language into Sindarin. Seriously.

So yeah.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Lolcat/victory.jpg

I loled.

Anyway, I vote "blog" and "moist." Just say them. They're damn ugly.

Slushie
12-20-2009, 01:12 AM
In my humble opinion, I think--and feel--the word [CENSORED] should so be banned. To be honest, you need to try to avoid that word at all costs and with all due diligence. Don't even google it, even if you're preggers.

Just sayin'.

On a serious note: seamen. Sailors is a perfectly fine word; seamen is a dangerous homonym. If you're not careful where it's placed, it could make a real mess of your work. The best protection against seamen is to avoid its usage altogether, but we know this isn't realistic in today's society.

/end serious note.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread, and I'll go back the sixth grade.

smcc360
12-20-2009, 01:16 AM
I wouldn't shed a tear for the loss of 'teachable moment'.

Nor the phrase 'I don't know what to tell you.' You don't? Then why are your lips moving?

kuwisdelu
12-20-2009, 01:17 AM
I desire seamen on the poop deck. There's dirty work to be done.

Slushie
12-20-2009, 01:34 AM
With all due respect, that's not where they belong; they're born swimmers.

euclid
12-20-2009, 02:54 AM
What's a Marine Ball?

A Naval (navel) encounter without loss of seamen.

bclement412
12-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Lax. Ugh the boys in my high school are OBSESSED with it and sometimes I just want to hit them in the head with one of their "lax" balls just to shut them up. Sorry, that was my little rant for the night :)

Michael J. Hoag
12-20-2009, 03:36 AM
Here I was hoping this would be a discussion of what words are too ugly to exist.

Instead it's about the connotations of various words and phrases that aren't even necessarily about the word itself but how people use them...

This.

And while we're at it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Lolcat/epiccat.jpg

Because the truth of it is, irregardless of what is occurring at this moment in time, basically, some people are just gay and retarded. Not to offend anyone. But to be honest: gay because the memetic mutation of these phrases are causing a homogeneity of language that feels a lot like surprise sodomy when the lube of more mellifluous words and phrases would be preferred. And retarded because it's seriously slowing what could be an epic evolution of our language into Sindarin. Seriously.

So yeah.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Lolcat/victory.jpg

I loled.

Anyway, I vote "blog" and "moist." Just say them. They're damn ugly.

See, I LOVE LOVE LOVE ugly words. They're my favorite. Blog. Moist. Better yet are the words that get stuck so annoyingly in the teeth--those flavor saver words people hate hate hate, those are the BEST words. Preggers. Preggo. Any word that's ugly is a word I want to add to my daily lingo. Surprise sodomy? Oh yeah! That's the language I want to use.

What I hate is the opposite, words used as intellectual bludgeons, single words sited as fallacious appeals to authority--This. This is the kind of language I hate. Good language.

Barfikins!

Albannach
12-20-2009, 03:54 AM
What's wrong with 'oftentimes'? It's a perfectly good word dating back to the 14th century. I like it and will now start using it. :evil

BenPanced
12-20-2009, 03:56 AM
"Can I ask you a question?" You just have. Now go away and leave me alone. You've used up your daily quota. I respond better to "are you busy?" or "do you have a moment?"

RevisionIsTheKey
12-20-2009, 03:58 AM
I wouldn't shed a tear for the loss of 'teachable moment'.

Aarrgh! I had forgotten about that one. I hate it too.

STKlingaman
12-20-2009, 04:28 AM
In my most recent novel, I take what
is happening to language and the spoken
word to it's obvious conclusion.

abbreviations become everyday speak and text.
things like 'LOL, OMG, prolly' just to name a few.
You see it everywhere, and probably 'prolly' use it
until it is the norm rather than the exception.
It's going from Elizabethan era of text and speech
to ebonics and beyond in the next hundred years.

and since I don't watch the 'BAD' news television I have
no idea what they're talking about, Heck it happens
in these forums all the time - I had no idea what WIP
or MC meant for almost 6 months.

I think it's the natural progression of the
human animal. Now this is probably not what
this blog meant, but . . .
I had no idea.

Oh I got one . . . Street cred

Devil Ledbetter
12-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Please, no more using fierce to describe scrawny fashion models obeying a photographers every command. Tyra Banks, I'm looking at you.

Wayne K
12-20-2009, 04:38 AM
Can we continue to say 'collusion' instead of 'reaching across the aisle'

Judg
12-20-2009, 05:59 AM
I hate, hate, hate "changed forever", especially when uttered by an earnest-looking person with a microphone in his/her hand in front of a camera. Forever is such a long, long time. And what they really mean is that somebody has just experienced tragedy.

Silver King
12-20-2009, 07:10 AM
"Family values," especially when used by hypocrites and politicians who could not care less about the term, nor about values in general, judging by their conduct.

Cassiopeia
12-20-2009, 07:16 AM
I hate, hate, hate "changed forever", especially when uttered by an earnest-looking person with a microphone in his/her hand in front of a camera. Forever is such a long, long time. And what they really mean is that somebody has just experienced tragedy.Especially 'cos it's "forever changed". If they are going to say that, get it right. :)

rhymegirl
12-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Preggers.

I think "baby bump" is worse.

ETA: I just read through the rest of the thread and noticed that others have already mentioned this term. Sorry.

Cassiopeia
12-20-2009, 07:25 AM
I think "baby bump" is worse.Or being called a "good little heifer" and put on the gestational chart down at the milk barn with all the "other cows".

And some people wonder why I'm so glad to be out of that family.

Silver King
12-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Or being called a "good little heifer" and put on the gestational chart down at the milk barn with all the "other cows".
I can't believe anyone would say such a thing; it's udderly terrible!

Wayne K
12-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I'd ignore such a comment and moove along.

Cassiopeia
12-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Right, I hate you two.

Slushie
12-20-2009, 07:40 AM

SK, you should put yourself in time out for such a pun. Shame on you for trying to milk it like that.

ETA: you too, Wayne.

Clair Dickson
12-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm gonna vote for LOL.

I am so fing tired of seeing LOL interspersed between every fing sentence. A good half of my high school friends-- who I know are otherwise intelligent people-- are physically incapable of writing a sentence ending with period. They LOL between each sentence. They don't laugh out loud at everything the say in person, why the hack would they do it online... ugh. I'd like to install shock devices in keyboards and keypads that respond when the letters LOL are typed without a surrounding word.

/rant

rhymegirl
12-20-2009, 07:49 AM

Yeah, and it's also cowndescending.

Silver King
12-20-2009, 07:54 AM
SK, you should put yourself in time out for such a pun. Shame on you for trying to milk it like that.

ETA: you too, Wayne.
You're right. For a moment there, I was trying to bite off more than I can suckle. I'll be more careful in the future.

scarletpeaches
12-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Someone shut the door; it's Fresian in here.

Wayne K
12-20-2009, 08:02 AM
I can't believe you guys are so gullibull.

Wayne K
12-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I feel like such a nincowpoop.

Wayne K
12-20-2009, 08:04 AM
I've never herd of such a thing.

scarletpeaches
12-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Someone shut the door; it's Fresian in here.Maybe I should wear a Jersey.

thethinker42
12-20-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm gonna vote for LOL.

I am so fing tired of seeing LOL interspersed between every fing sentence. A good half of my high school friends-- who I know are otherwise intelligent people-- are physically incapable of writing a sentence ending with period. They LOL between each sentence. They don't laugh out loud at everything the say in person, why the hack would they do it online... ugh. I'd like to install shock devices in keyboards and keypads that respond when the letters LOL are typed without a surrounding word.

/rant

LOL

Wayne K
12-20-2009, 08:08 AM
I'll stop now.

rhymegirl
12-20-2009, 08:14 AM
I'll stop now.

Good. Cuz after a while it's not so amoosing anymore.

Wayne K
12-20-2009, 08:15 AM
I didn't think I'd field such critique.

rhymegirl
12-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I didn't think I'd field such critique.

I'm no coward when it comes to critiquing.

AlterEgox5
12-20-2009, 08:52 AM
"Bucolic"

Sorry. It just does not look or sound anything like what it means. In fact, it sounds like a sickness or something gross like a bad smell.

HisBoyElroy
12-20-2009, 08:13 PM
When somebody disagrees with a statement, instead of just saying "I disagree blah blah blah..." The say "REALLY?"

Easily the most repulsive expression to come down the pike in years. And it's everywhere!
When did the memo go out on this one?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-20-2009, 10:08 PM
"Family values," especially when used by hypocrites and politicians who could not care less about the term, nor about values in general, judging by their conduct.

Silver King, for the WIN!

Silver King
12-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Silver King, for the WIN!
I'm not done yet, so please hold your votes! :D

Lately, I've been annoyed beyond reason when I hear or see, "It is what it is."

At first I didn't know what the hell that meant until I realized it's used by the least creative among us, often in sports, to describe one's own failings without ever getting to the heart of the matter.

For example, when the head coach of a team that has been trounced in a game is asked what happened, he lamely replies, "It is what it is. No further questions, please!"

Or when the most famous athlete on the planet is caught with his pants down and his nine iron poking into more than just golf related holes, you can imagine him thinking, "It is what it is. I wish they'd leave me alone and value my privacy."

Perhaps we should swap that meaningless term with one that is more descriptive and closer to the truth. The great philosopher, Popeye, often remarked, "I yam what I yam," and that would make for a more truthful substitution.

And if you don't agree, well, it is what it is.

kaitie
12-21-2009, 06:25 AM
This is Japanese, but it's a similar idea. There's a phrase: Shou ga nai. Basically means, "It is what it is," or "Nothing can be done." The phrase itself is pretty darn useful in certain circumstances. For instance, I've got a stack of tests on my desk to be graded and don't particularly want to do it, but shou ga nai. Not really a choice, so oh well. And that's how it feels in that case, just like "oh well."

The thing is, it's supposed to describe the idea of having no control or power over the situation. It pours rain while I'm walking home and I got soaked, for instance. The thing that annoys me is that it's often used for things people actually DO have control over. If a teacher complains to me about having to be at work until ten o'clock every night to coach the baseball club and says, "Shou ga nai..." well, my first thought is, but you DO have an option. You could end practice earlier!

That's the best example I can think of, but you do hear it often and it's basically just an excuse. What frustrates me is that it's essentially people giving up any control over the situation and implying that it's some external force causing the problem. As a result, people just keep doing the same (often ridiculous) things for no good reason. It's kinda weird, actually lol.

rhymegirl
12-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Lately, I've been annoyed beyond reason when I hear or see, "It is what it is."

At first I didn't know what the hell that meant until I realized it's used by the least creative among us, often in sports, to describe one's own failings without ever getting to the heart of the matter.

I will second this one.

Last year I was attempting to work for a guy on a freelance basis who wanted me to write up (I guess you'd call) business reports for him. He met with businesses, gave speeches, did research, etc., and I met with him so he could tell me what to write.

When I asked him how long the report needed to be, what did he say to me?

"It is what it is."

HUH???

Oh yeah, that is REAL helpful, buddy.

I only wrote one report for him and that was that.

Wayne K
12-21-2009, 06:29 AM
In the spirit of that "It's all good" should go too.

Amarie
12-21-2009, 06:58 AM
any word that has a W in it that shouldn't because the user wants to sound hip.

rawkin - for rocking

hawt - for hot

These are just stupid.

I'd like to banish 'hot' in any spelling, when it refers to a person's looks. Boring.

rhymegirl
12-21-2009, 07:15 AM
I'd like to banish 'hot' in any spelling, when it refers to a person's looks. Boring.

Yeah, you're right. Let's be more creative!

Dashing! Stunning! Smoldering! Luscious! Mesmerizing! Sizzling!

charlotte49ers
12-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Ugh, my third grade boys referred to a girl as hot the other day. We had a long talk about how that word was a) not apporpriate for a third grader to use and b) not that nice anyway...but it did lead to a really good impromtu lesson on adjectives. ;)

Gretad08
12-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Impact...as in "This will really impact her life."

It's over used, and doesn't make sense. Unless two things are colliding, then impact just isn't the right word.

troutkitty
12-21-2009, 07:55 AM
For me, smirk and stride. In the proper context I could take either of them maybe once in a novel, but for the most part, ack! Especially when the first line is "So-and-so smirked and strode purposefully through the..."

That is such a back-arrow/delete/close program/tbar moment for me.

Silver King
12-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Does anyone remember when the phrase, "Talk to the hand" was in vogue? It wasn't that long ago, and whenever I heard that and saw someone mimicking a puppet, I wanted to rush up and break that person's hand and twist their fingers together like a garbage tie until they pleaded for mercy and promised never to repeat such a distasteful phrase again for as long as they lived.

I never did get to live out that fantasy, but I wanted to!

Gretad08
12-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Does anyone remember when the phrase, "Talk to the hand" was in vogue? It wasn't that long ago, and whenever I heard that and saw someone mimicking a puppet, I wanted to rush up and break that person's hand and twist their fingers together like a garbage tie until they pleaded for mercy and promised never to repeat such a distasteful phrase again for as long as they lived.

Or how about when it was followed with something?

For example "Talk to the hand cuz the face don't give a damn."

Or "Talk to the hand cuz the face ain't listenin!"

That really made me want to slap that person in the face with their own hand.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-21-2009, 08:02 AM

And I woulda paid GOOD money for that.

charlotte49ers
12-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Oh, I haven't read through the entire thread, but I want to get rid of the word ain't.

I'm born and raised in the south, but it makes my skin crawl.

I'll never give up y'all, though.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Oh, I haven't read through the entire thread, but I want to get rid of the word ain't.

I'm born and raised in the south, but it makes my skin crawl.

I'll never give up y'all, though.

So, what you're sayin is you're fixin to get rid of ain't. :D

charlotte49ers
12-21-2009, 08:19 AM
You know what they say...get r done. ;)

Ehab.Ahmed
12-21-2009, 08:55 AM
This is Japanese, but it's a similar idea. There's a phrase: Shou ga nai. Basically means, "It is what it is," or "Nothing can be done." The phrase itself is pretty darn useful in certain circumstances. For instance, I've got a stack of tests on my desk to be graded and don't particularly want to do it, but shou ga nai. Not really a choice, so oh well. And that's how it feels in that case, just like "oh well."

The thing is, it's supposed to describe the idea of having no control or power over the situation. It pours rain while I'm walking home and I got soaked, for instance. The thing that annoys me is that it's often used for things people actually DO have control over. If a teacher complains to me about having to be at work until ten o'clock every night to coach the baseball club and says, "Shou ga nai..." well, my first thought is, but you DO have an option. You could end practice earlier!

That's the best example I can think of, but you do hear it often and it's basically just an excuse. What frustrates me is that it's essentially people giving up any control over the situation and implying that it's some external force causing the problem. As a result, people just keep doing the same (often ridiculous) things for no good reason. It's kinda weird, actually lol.

Aww, but I like it. I always love to say -- I'm not sure it's grammatically correct -- "shou ga nai" no koto ga shou ga nee na.

What I really hate is phrases like "massive fail" and "epic win". It's just wrong!

kaitie
12-21-2009, 10:06 AM
I like "Epic fail." :D I say it to my students in class, but they have no idea what I'm saying.

Kitty Pryde
12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
You know what they say...get r done. ;)

I really like "git-r-done", actually. It's succinct, and it's an encouraging motto. It's like "Just do it", but for hicks. I use it a lot around here. "Is dinner ready? No, well, git-r-done!"

Slushie
12-21-2009, 10:47 AM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/lianadragonmaster/FailEpic.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/banthapoodoo/epic-fail-volleyball-fail.jpg

Xelebes
12-21-2009, 11:08 AM

Ah, the 90's. How we miss them already.

euclid
12-21-2009, 01:05 PM
What did "Talk to the hand" mean? I never knew.

euclid
12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
"You are what you eat"

Gets to me. I don't eat basketballs, although I may look like one.

RevisionIsTheKey
12-21-2009, 11:02 PM
What did "Talk to the hand" mean? I never knew.

It's when someone does not want to hear what you are saying and puts their hand up in your face (think of a traffic cop telling someone to stop) while at the same time turning their face away from you. You can talk to the hand because they are not listening. It was probably popular all over the place long before most of us became aware of it through the likes of Jerry Springer, whose show also gave us the indispensable "All that and a bag of chips."

Hittman
12-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Utilize

High on my hate list. I've never seen it used where "use" wouldn't work just as well.

See also: "No offense..." (or the southern equivalent, "Bless her heart, but..."

That's right up there with

Another one I can NOT stand...with all due respect

. . . always said before a really disrespectful statement. "With all due respect, your idea is stupid because. . .

On a serious note: seamen. Sailors is a perfectly fine word; seamen is a dangerous homonym. If you're not careful where it's placed, it could make a real mess of your work. The best protection against seamen is to avoid its usage altogether, but we know this isn't realistic in today's society.

Whenever I hear it I think of the very old joke about the homosexual whale. (He bit the ends off submarines and sucked out all the seamen.)

"Can I ask you a question?" You just have. Now go away and leave me alone. You've used up your daily quota. I respond better to "are you busy?" or "do you have a moment?"

None of those bother me. They're just a polite way of interrupting you.

"Think Outside the Box," which is almost always used in situations where actually thinking outside the box will be punished.

"Welcome to Target. As one of our newest drones, we want to encourage you to think outside the box. Use your imagination and creativity. Oh, and here's a three inch thick policy that covers every conceivable situation, right down to the correct way to clean up a spill in the aisle. If you deviate from any of these policies even slightly, you will be written up, chastised, and made to feel more worthless than a discarded Big Mac wrapper. Three write-ups and you're fired.

"But be sure to think outside the box!"

swvaughn
12-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Also, I hate the word 'moist.'

As do I. With an inexplicable and fiery passion.

Wish I knew why...

Gretad08
12-22-2009, 12:59 AM
How about when people use "disrespecting" as a verb? Like: "I hit him with a bat b/c he was disrespectin' me."

Drives me bananas.

Slushie
12-22-2009, 01:01 AM
I hate when people use bananas as a synonym for crazy. Bananas are not crazy; they're healthy. :D

RevisionIsTheKey
12-22-2009, 03:32 AM
I hate when people use bananas as a synonym for crazy. Bananas are not crazy; they're healthy. :D

Or, more correctly, healthful.
:D

Ehab.Ahmed
12-22-2009, 04:29 AM
"Think Outside the Box," which is almost always used in situations where actually thinking outside the box will be punished.

I hate it when people spout nonsense that's supposed to be wise and philosophical but is also pretty darn vague. "think outside the box" is one of them. Box? What friggin' box?
"be the ball or X", "be at peace with your inner-self"; the list goes on and on. I'm sure no body even knows what they mean by those stock phrases.

Devil Ledbetter
12-22-2009, 05:04 AM
I hate when people use bananas as a synonym for crazy. Bananas are not crazy; they're healthy. :DThe same could be said for nuts.

Does this mean bat shit is still okay to use for crazy?

S.J.
12-22-2009, 05:04 AM
"Give it 110%!"

That really bugs me, because how can you get better than perfect? Also, because the phrase has lost all impact thanks to overuse, people feel they need to say, "Give it 250%!" to get the same effect. Ughughugh.

Another one: "No offence, but... something truly offensive."

kaitie
12-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Or, more correctly, healthful.

Oooh, add healthful to my list! I saw that in an article yesterday and just cringed.

RevisionIsTheKey
12-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Oooh, add healthful to my list! I saw that in an article yesterday and just cringed.

You can't ban grammatically correct usage!
:Lecture:

Hittman
12-22-2009, 08:24 AM
I don't mind healthful, but Wellness bugs the hell out of me. It sounds contrived and stupid and new-agey and condescending all at once.

kuwisdelu
12-22-2009, 09:35 AM
I like "with all due respect" when I use it because it's a subtle way of telling stupid people that I don't respect them without their noticing.

kaitie
12-22-2009, 09:37 AM
You can't ban grammatically correct usage!
:Lecture:

I have no problem saying something incorrect when it sounds dumb. :D

(I think every English teacher I ever had just rolled over in their graves, or would have if they were dead and stuff)

Slushie
12-22-2009, 10:04 AM
The same could be said for nuts.

Does this mean bat shit is still okay to use for crazy?

Bat shit is fine.

When I hear bat shit, I think of guano. When I hear guano, I think Ace Ventura. When I hear Ace Ventrua, I think crazy. Thusly, bat shit = crazy.

Titania
12-22-2009, 01:33 PM
When they say "she's popped!" to mean "she has delivered (her baby)"

So cool-wannabe.

kuwisdelu
12-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Bat shit is fine.

When I hear bat shit, I think of guano. When I hear guano, I think Ace Ventura. When I hear Ace Ventrua, I think crazy. Thusly, bat shit = crazy.

I approve this line of logic.

When they say "she's popped!" to mean "she has delivered (her baby)"

O_o

thewakingself
12-22-2009, 07:12 PM
As do I. With an inexplicable and fiery passion.

Wish I knew why...

Same here! I have no idea how I got so turned off on that word. Even typing it made me cringe.

If I never saw it again, it would still be too soon.

I like "with all due respect" when I use it because it's a subtle way of telling stupid people that I don't respect them without their noticing.

I've been known to use this, too. Insulting can be an art. ;)

kdnxdr
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm curious, I read through and possibly missed a listing.

Has anyone nominated the words: shi* or fu**? Now, those are two words that could win the "overuse" award in the the English language!

Are those particular words even capable of morphing and carrying their same affect?

Ehab.Ahmed
12-22-2009, 07:42 PM
You know what? The English language itself is overused! If we keep up, there will not be any words left to use -.-
Btw, I like the curse "sh*t" as well its Japanese counterpart, "kuso".

Judg
12-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm curious, I read through and possibly missed a listing.

Has anyone nominated the words: shi* or fu**? Now, those are two words that could win the "overuse" award in the the English language!

Are those particular words even capable of morphing and carrying their same affect?
QFT

Used by the semantically challenged to convey whatever their current emotion is. Usually with the mistaken impression that they are thereby cool or tough or edgy.

Devil Ledbetter
12-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I haven't had time to read the entire thread, but I hope we're banning _____ is the new black and wait for it.

I especially hate wait for it. For a while there every blogger and columnist on the planet was inserting into everything. Blech.

euclid
12-23-2009, 12:17 AM
QFT

Used by the semantically challenged to convey whatever their current emotion is. Usually with the mistaken impression that they are thereby cool or tough or edgy.

Come on Judg. These are swear words in general common use. I tend not to use them, but an agent I knew told me that my dialogue was unrealistic without them.

I see you used the f-word yourself above (in QFT)

Cyia
12-23-2009, 12:45 AM
QFT = Quoted for Truth.

Judg
12-23-2009, 12:45 AM
QFT = Quoted For Truth.

Anybody who has to drop an F-word or S-word into every other sentence really needs to expand their vocabulary. General common use is precisely the problem. That's what this thread is all about, although admittedly it refers more to linguistic fads than the enduring fashion of being foul-mouthed.

And I allow myself to show my true curmudgeonly character about once every 100 threads ;) although my rants on spelling and grammar usually get a better reception. :D

euclid
12-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Right. I stand corrected. I'm afraid I come from an earlier generation when these acronyms were not in vogue (or even invented)

I thought QFT stood for Quite F'ing True.
Like WTF (which I assumed stood for: What The F*ck - maybe I got that one wrong as well?)

Quoted for Truth means nothing to me. Is that some sort of biblical thing?

Oops!

Anyway, I stand over what I said about realism in dialogue. An awful lot of people use these words routinely. To be realistic, fictional dialogue needs to reflect this.:)

RevisionIsTheKey
12-23-2009, 05:01 AM
I thought QFT stood for Quite F'ing True.
Like WTF (which I assumed stood for: What The F*ck - maybe I got that one wrong as well?)

The Wisconsin Tourism Federation had to change its name recently because of all the WTF jokes from people seeing its logo. They kept the same words but changed the order.

Ah well, gone are the days when knockers were only on doors and balls were something you bought a nice dress to attend.

Cyia
12-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Quoted for Truth means nothing to me. Is that some sort of biblical thing?

It means the section has been "Quoted for Truth" -- as in "This is what I wanted to say, but it's already been said" or "I agree".

Medievalist
12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem, and yit they spake hem so.
-- Chaucer Troilus and Criseyde Book II ll. 22-25--

euclid
12-23-2009, 12:55 PM
The Wisconsin Tourism Federation had to change its name recently because of all the WTF jokes from people seeing its logo. They kept the same words but changed the order.

Ah well, gone are the days when knockers were only on doors and balls were something you bought a nice dress to attend.

And (in my day) when 'safe sex' meant not giving the girl your real name.

euclid
12-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem, and yit they spake hem so.
-- Chaucer Troilus and Criseyde Book II ll. 22-25--

I spotted a few typos in the above.

Medievalist
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
I spotted a few typos in the above.

Adam scrivener, if ever thee befall
Boece or Troilus for to write new,
Under thy longe locks thow maist have the scall,
But after my makinge thou write mor trew,
So oft a day I mot thy werke renewe
It to correct, and eke to rubbe and scrape,
And all is thorowe thy necligence and rape.

euclid
12-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Adam scrivener, if ever thee befall
Boece or Troilus for to write new,
Under thy longe locks thow maist have the scall,
But after my makinge thou write mor trew,
So oft a day I mot thy werke renewe
It to correct, and eke to rubbe and scrape,
And all is thorowe thy necligence and rape.

*throwing my eyes to heaven here*

Some people wouldn't even bother buying a dictionary, and doesn't he have a spellcheck for heven's sake!

(PS Translation of the above needed and Happy Christmas Medievalist)

Feiss
12-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Synergy, net-working, Twitter vocab (tweet, twittered, twitterer, Tweeter) AAAAGH.

Also I was watching ANTM because I'm shallow, and Tyra Banks said "Smize" to mean "Smiling with your eyes", and she did this whole super heroine skit where she "Smizes" angry photographers to death.

le sigh.

Also, the word "cougar" to refer to older women who like young men. It makes me think of leopard-print, and no one likes thinking about leopard print and too much red make-up.

Words that we don't use enough:

Molly coddle
swash buckle
Lolly gaggle
humdinger

Fran
12-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I HATE cuppa, hubby and lippy when used as an abbreviation for lipstick. Yick, yick, yick. To me they're words little children who can't speak properly yet would use. I also hate 'Step up to the plate', but only when British people use it. We don't play baseball here! We don't HAVE any plates! Enough! Grrrr. :)

kaitie
12-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Molly coddle
swash buckle
Lolly gaggle
humdinger

I actually use both lolly gag AND humdinger in regular conversation on a semi-regular basis. :D

euclid
12-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Synergy, net-working, Twitter vocab (tweet, twittered, twitterer, Tweeter) AAAAGH.

Also I was watching ANTM because I'm shallow, and Tyra Banks said "Smize" to mean "Smiling with your eyes", and she did this whole super heroine skit where she "Smizes" angry photographers to death.

le sigh.

Also, the word "cougar" to refer to older women who like young men. It makes me think of leopard-print, and no one likes thinking about leopard print and too much red make-up.

Molly coddle
swash buckle
Lolly gaggle
humdinger

1. What is ANTM?
2. Never heard of Cougar used this way
3. What is lolly gaggle? Never heard of that either
Oh, and
4. Never heard of Tyra Banks.

My vote for a word that should be banished:

Basically

thewakingself
12-23-2009, 07:02 PM
1. What is ANTM?

Basically, ANTM = America's Next Top Model, a reality show. It deals with a gaggle of vapid model-y types posing for photographers in various states of undress and/or feathers/bodypaint, while Tyra Banks (a former supermodel who may or may not be a cougar, I dunno) lollygags around pretending to be the only arbiter of taste left on the planet. Tyra also has a talk show.

Basically.

euclid
12-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Basically, you haven't answered all my questions.

What's lollygag?

Also, I'd have to dispute your decription of ANTM as a "reality" show.
Totally "Unreality" I'd say, fundamentally.

We have "reality" shows over here where members of the public are given "make-overs" by style gurus. They fit them out with new bras, new hair-dos and new outfits and everybody applauds. They nearly always use "magic" underwear to hide unsightly bulges. I say, what good are magic knickers to me? I'd need miracle drawers!

love your avatar. I'm going to use it when you change.

Slushie
12-23-2009, 08:01 PM
1. What is ANTM?
2. Never heard of Cougar used this way
3. What is lolly gaggle? Never heard of that either
Oh, and
4. Never heard of Tyra Banks.

My vote for a word that should be banished:

Basically

euclid, I'm gonna buy you a pop-culture dictionary for Christmas! :D

lolcatz grammar is the future.

I has shiny.

kaitie
12-23-2009, 08:11 PM

What's lollygag?

Also, I'd have to dispute your decription of ANTM as a "reality" show.
Totally "Unreality" I'd say, fundamentally.

We have "reality" shows over here where members of the public are given "make-overs" by style gurus. They fit them out with new bras, new hair-dos and new outfits and everybody applauds. They nearly always use "magic" underwear to hide unsightly bulges. I say, what good are magic knickers to me? I'd need miracle drawers!

Lolly gag is when you keep procrastinating instead of doing what you're supposed to be doing, but it isn't as hard or negative sounding as procrastinate, I think. Examples:

You've been lolly gagging around all day instead of doing your homework.

Stop your lolly gagging and clean your room!

Anyone want to enlighten me as to what molly coddle means?

Fran
12-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Mollycoddle means to be overly protective of a child. :)

euclid
12-23-2009, 08:29 PM
To mollycoddle (one word, I think) someone means to over-protect, cosset or treat them like a child who can't look after themselves.

Your mother mollycoddles you when she wraps you in a blanky to keep you warm, or when she makes you a meal, even though you're perfectly able to do it yourself.

My mother's name was Molly, so I know all about that!

euclid
12-23-2009, 08:31 PM
So lollygagging is like "Faffing about", which I think means wasting time.

thewakingself
12-23-2009, 09:23 PM
....lippy when used as an abbreviation for lipstick. Yick, yick, yick.

ITA. That offends my eyes.

Well, I do live to be difficult. ;)

Kaitie's right--lollygag means procrastinating or fooling around. Never heard of 'faffing about', but I've just added it to my list of awesome phrases to be implemented immediately.

NEVAR. :D

Slushie
12-23-2009, 09:29 PM
So lollygagging is like "Faffing about", which I think means wasting time.

lol

I have a new favorite word: faffing.

Drice
12-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I rea**y h*te it wh*n fo*ks th*nk th*t th*s s*rt of sh*t he*ps in my compr*hensi*n of th* pr*fane.

I don't want or appreciate the mollycoddling.

kuwisdelu
12-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I rea**y h*te it wh*n fo*ks th*nk th*t th*s s*rt of sh*t he*ps in my compr*hensi*n of th* pr*fane.

I don't want or appreciate the mollycoddling.

Well it sure as f*cking h*ll didn't help in my comprehension of that sentence.

Sevvy
12-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Anything that comes out of the mouth of a squealing girl, or an older woman who wants to pretend like she's still 16. Preggars is a great example of this.

Also, boy toy. I want a man, not a whiny tool I can reduce to tears with a glare, thank you very much.

Kitty Pryde
12-24-2009, 12:04 AM

This one is enraging. The sexist assumptions in it are gross, and it makes very little sense.

True fact: I know a 10 year old boy named Cougar. It must suck big time to have your name mean 'an older woman looking to date younger men'.

Also, won't someone think of the athletes at Washington State University? Alas, the poor Cougars!

Sevvy
12-24-2009, 12:12 AM
This one is enraging. The sexist assumptions in it are gross, and it makes very little sense.

I actually kinda like the term cougar. It's a strong, powerful animal, very independent and is a keystone predator in it's natural habitat. They're beautiful too, if you've ever seen one (hopefully in a zoo and not in the wild, that would be terrifying). And perhaps it's that fear that gives these older women their name. A young man, possibly not as sexually experienced as this woman, not quite as sure of himself, now faced with a woman who knows exactly what she wants and how she wants it. That can be quite intimidating.

I do see the sexist assumptions you're talking about, but I usually hear an older woman calling herself a cougar with a sense of pride and comfort, rather than the feeling that she has been labeled as such. *shrugs*

Hittman
12-24-2009, 02:47 AM
True fact: I know a 10 year old boy named Cougar. It must suck big time to have your name mean 'an older woman looking to date younger men'.

It must suck even more to have parents whose brain cells have been replaced with bong resin.

Kitty Pryde
12-24-2009, 02:52 AM
It must suck even more to have parents whose brain cells have been replaced with bong resin.

His mom is startlingly normal, actually, and the other two sibs have 'normal' names.

kuwisdelu
12-24-2009, 02:58 AM
I actually kinda like the term cougar. It's a strong, powerful animal, very independent and is a keystone predator in it's natural habitat. They're beautiful too, if you've ever seen one (hopefully in a zoo and not in the wild, that would be terrifying). And perhaps it's that fear that gives these older women their name. A young man, possibly not as sexually experienced as this woman, not quite as sure of himself, now faced with a woman who knows exactly what she wants and how she wants it. That can be quite intimidating.

I do see the sexist assumptions you're talking about, but I usually hear an older woman calling herself a cougar with a sense of pride and comfort, rather than the feeling that she has been labeled as such. *shrugs*

I wouldn't mind being preyed upon by such a creature.

scarletpeaches
12-24-2009, 03:02 AM
Completely unrelated to the above post, but I just thought I'd mention I'm 33 and single.

cptwentworth
12-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Now, you stop and think.

Drives me mad when my dad says that a hundred times in his angsty political discoursing.

Libbie
12-24-2009, 03:10 AM
I actually love the word "cougar," for exactly the reasons Sevvy pointed out. It conjures up an empowering image in my head.

And the Wazzu Cougars can go suck it -- Huskies forever!

Fran
12-24-2009, 03:23 AM
Completely unrelated to the above post, but I just thought I'd mention I'm 33 and single.

*curses that I'm only 32*

kdnxdr
12-24-2009, 03:43 AM
"are we on the same page?" "ducks in a row" "how childish"

"anything to do with notcho that is not edible"

the list just goes on and on....................

charlotte49ers
12-24-2009, 03:48 AM
The word 'moist' creeps me out.

kdnxdr
12-24-2009, 04:16 AM
my best friend in highschool was fascinated with the word "scrotum" ; she liked to call people "scrotum face"

spike
12-24-2009, 05:44 AM

crazy = ape sh!t
Ape sh!t = bananas
therefore:
bananas = crazy

Logical

spike
12-24-2009, 05:45 AM
I hate the phrase: "We're all adults here", because we obviously aren't. Adults don't need to be reminded that they are adults so that they don't behave in a childish manner.

Silver King
12-24-2009, 07:40 AM
The word 'moist' creeps me out.
I've seen that a number of times in this thread, and I can't for the life of me figure out what's the issue with that word. I realize it conjures negative feelings, but why? Also, do the bad vibes also include "moisten" as well?

Matera the Mad
12-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Well, now, that makes me think of "warm wetness between her legs", which I could bloody shoot a certain author for.

I cast yet another vote against initial SO -- may it curl and blacken in the flames of uttermost Hell.

Silver King
12-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Well, now, that makes me think of "warm wetness between her legs"...
I had a feeling that might be one reason why the word has fallen out of favor among some folks. But if that's the case, what about "wet?" Does that create the same negative response? It would appear, in that context, that "moist" was merely a prelude to full arousal, and that becoming "wet" would produce a similar backlash in word choice.

kuwisdelu
12-24-2009, 08:20 AM
I've seen that a number of times in this thread, and I can't for the life of me figure out what's the issue with that word. I realize it conjures negative feelings, but why? Also, do the bad vibes also include "moisten" as well?

Wet is fine. It's the sound of it. Read this post aloud.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Get it yet?

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Medievalist
12-24-2009, 08:20 AM
I had a feeling that might be one reason why the word has fallen out of favor among some folks. But if that's the case, what about "wet?" Does that create the same negative response? It would appear, in that context, that "moist" was merely a prelude to full arousal, and that becoming "wet" would produce a similar backlash in word choice.

I can't find the citation, now, but there's a thing in English native speakers about the "oi" dipthong.

Look at yourself in the mirror trying to say "moist" and "moisten" in an ordinary way; look at the faces you make.

Moist = a "prissy" face because of the labial of the M.

scarletpeaches
12-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Pfft.

Lisa said 'labial'.

Medievalist
12-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Pfft.

Lisa said 'labial'.

I've been known to say fricative, too. And sometimes (Wayne can tell you about this) I say glottal.

See?

There's this thing where words sound dirty, either because of a similar word or because of the word's sound--and yeah, you can totally freak a class room of undergraduates with this stuff :D

kuwisdelu
12-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I've been known to say fricative, too. And sometimes (Wayne can tell you about this) I say glottal.

See?

There's this thing where words sound dirty, either because of a similar word or because of the word's sound--and yeah, you can totally freak a class room of undergraduates with this stuff :D

Modo fac id.

scarletpeaches
12-24-2009, 08:33 AM
I can't say organism without smirking.

And asking my hairdresser for a cut and blow dry makes me think of...yeah.

charlotte49ers
12-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Wet is fine. It's the sound of it. Read this post aloud.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

Get it yet?

Moist.

Moist.

Moist.

I threw up a little in my mouth.

I don't know what it is about the word...it just gives me the heebies!

scarletpeaches
12-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Surely being moist is better than being clammy?

charlotte49ers
12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Clammy actually doesn't bother me. I guess because I associate it with hands, though clammy hands are nasty.

Medievalist
12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Surely being moist is better than being clammy?

OK-- here's a fun language geek thing to do;

Google moist
Google clammy
Google moist clammy

Look at the numbers.

(Yes, of course people pay you for knowing this shi . . . stuff.)

charlotte49ers
12-24-2009, 08:43 AM
OK-- here's a fun language geek thing to do;

Google moist
Google clammy
Google moist clammy

Look at the numbers.

(Yes, of course people pay you for knowing this shi . . . stuff.)

I'm scared.

Feiss
12-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Now, you stop and think.

Drives me mad when my dad says that a hundred times in his angsty political discoursing.

Then I think technically you're a puma, a sportier, younger cougar.

YACK I hate that word

RevisionIsTheKey
12-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Look at yourself in the mirror trying to say "moist" and "moisten" in an ordinary way; look at the faces you make.

Time for a new thread? Words you shouldn't say because they make your face look funny?

Wayne K
12-24-2009, 10:23 AM
"As low as" should be banished from television and radio advertising.

euclid
12-24-2009, 10:27 PM
I have a word that should be used more:

Raggamuffin

There, I said it!

Drice
12-24-2009, 10:32 PM
I have a word that should be used more:

Raggamuffin

There, I said it!

Well said. Made me think of scalawag and rascal.

:)

SirOtter
12-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Anyone using conversate and orientate should be disemboweled with a spork. The root words are converse and orient. Conversate and orientate are backwards constructions from conversation and orientation. They're called backwards constructions because only backwards imbeciles use them.

Also the near ubiquitous use of 'actually' thirty or forty times in a single sentence, especially by news readers (a much more accurate term than 'broadcast journalists' - thanks to our friends on the eastern side of the Big Pond for that). Or by anyone else. Actually.

BradyH1861
12-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Down here in Hurricane Country, I really wish they would ban the phrase

"hunker down"

Seriously, I didn't vote for one of our local politicos in the last election because he used it in a campaign commercial!

scarletpeaches
12-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Basically.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Anyone using conversate and orientate should be disemboweled with a spork. The root words are converse and orient. Conversate and orientate are backwards constructions from conversation and orientation. They're called backwards constructions because only backwards imbeciles use them.

Also the near ubiquitous use of 'actually' thirty or forty times in a single sentence, especially by news readers (a much more accurate term than 'broadcast journalists' - thanks to our friends on the eastern side of the Big Pond for that). Or by anyone else. Actually.

This, this, a thousand times THIS!

Cyia
12-25-2009, 08:34 AM
I could do without the misuse of the word "literally". It annoys me when people say someone is "literally going to...." followed by something no one could literally do or literally do and survive.

Libbie
12-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Whenever I hear people misuse "literally," my head literally explodes.

SirOtter
12-25-2009, 10:14 AM
There is a certain writer of excruciatingly bad horror stories, sort of an Ed Wood of the literature of the genre, who misuses 'literary' when he means 'literally'. Which he does a lot. Nearly every sentence scribed in defense of his indescribably bad stories contains some threat to 'literary rip your heart from your chest' or some such. Watching him go ballistic every time someone new discovered what a hopeless hack he was became a popular activity for several years until his family finally, mercifully, disconnected him from the internet.

Matera the Mad
12-25-2009, 10:15 AM
gawwwwd...I never heard of "conversate" before. *SHUDDER*

How many votes on irregardless so far?

LOG
12-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I also vote for the eradication or irregardless.
Also, the phrase, 'with all due respect,' and 'permission to speak freely.'
The first because you know some dispresctful noises are coming, and the second because...well, mainly the same as the first.

Matera the Mad
12-26-2009, 01:36 AM
If we're going for whole phrases, I think that "to all intents and purposes" should be harshly proscribed. Anyone who wants to use it should apply for a license. After rigorous training and testing to see if the dumklotz understands it and knows how to use it, the dumklotz will be put into a queue that will take forever to process...thus driving the dumklotz to use a more sensible phrase. Hey, that would work for almost anything. So would stopping to think, but that's too much effort.

scarletpeaches
12-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Added bonus.

That's what a bonus is: added. So why the tautology?

Also new and improved.

If something's new it's never been done before so how could it possibly be an improvement on a former incarnation?

Matera the Mad
12-26-2009, 04:48 AM
Impeach them.

I'm thinking about a spinoff to this thread: Words that should be rationed

Or: Words that should be regulated and restricted

One item for it that comes to mind is death throes. Also in due time and due to. Wottever. My best bit of snarky advice is, whatever word or phrase it is, if you don't know how to spell it, and are too lazy to use a dictionary, don't farkin use it.

SirOtter
12-26-2009, 05:01 AM
"I can't wait" - have you another option? Time travel, perhaps? Suspended animation?

Kitty Pryde
12-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Can I second 'literally'? I just read a Terry Pratchett book from HarperCollins in the US. Whoever wrote the back-cover blurb wrote that the main characters "...uncover a long-hidden secret that literally turns the world upside down."

It's a fantasy novel, so I had my hopes up that they would literally turn the world upside down. But no. Shockingly, the world was only figuratively turned upside down. Sigh.

BenPanced
12-28-2009, 05:54 AM
"Sparkle".

Matera the Mad
12-29-2009, 08:56 AM
SO

Slushie
12-29-2009, 10:37 AM
ugh. Fine Matera, here's a vote for so.

sheesh. You're so persistent. :D

kaitie
12-29-2009, 04:13 PM

I occasionally use "conversate" in that "I know completely well I'm saying this wrong" way, same way I use "littler." It just amuses me because it strikes me as a cute word. Orientate annoys the hell out of me though. Either one used by someone who just doesn't get it frustrates me.

As for all the moist people, it's funny because when I saw on Dead Like Me that the mother hated the word "moist," I couldn't figure it out lol. Apparently it's a more general hate than I realized!

Matera the Mad
12-30-2009, 07:53 AM
SO is so fscking persistent.

Gretad08
12-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Can we banish groups of words? I detest when people start a sentence with "As a ______ (fill in the blank)

It's usually something like "As a mom..." or a commercial I saw today "As a real estate agent, I love to use _____ to keep houses smelling fresh."

Is it only real estate agents who like fresh smelling houses? Would it not have made sense to use the product unless I happened to be in that line of business?

Am I crazy or has anyone else picked up on this?

Matera the Mad
12-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Ugh. I manage to avoid it pretty well, but where I have seen it, I have gritted my teeth.

My pet peeve, though...I've seen too many blogs where too many posts start with...guess what word. And forum posts. And forum posts. Oh, you think that's repetitive? :tongue

Nightfly
12-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm an easy going guy. Considered by my pears to be measured, even tempered. But when someone uses literally incorrectly, I lose time for a while and next thing you know I'm helping them off the floor while all around are echoes of "Stop your killing him", "Have mercy", or other such things. Something just takes over.
But make no mistake, no regrets here. They've Got It Coming!

XxDethmetalxX
12-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Oftentimes
Utilize
Irregardless

caw

:Soapbox:

Every time that word is used, I get the irresistible urge to punch someone in the face.

kdnxdr
01-08-2010, 05:12 AM
I think the word fresco should be banished, it's too confusing. I'm never sure if it's a soda drink, a weather condition or a company.

Judg
01-08-2010, 05:20 AM
...or a wall painting. But I do protest. I think it's a wonderful word.

kdnxdr
01-08-2010, 05:23 AM
A friend of mine really hated the word elbow, but I'm not sure why.

Marian Perera
01-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Reflection.

I like that word when it refers to mirrors and water and so on, but it's the new buzzword in my college, and I'm starting to loathe it. "This semester, you'll write a paper reflecting on what you might have done wrong when making Gram stains." "Your last assignment will be a reflection on your performance in the phlebotomy course." Reflect this, reflect that. Ugh.

RevisionIsTheKey
01-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Reflection.

I like that word when it refers to mirrors and water and so on, but it's the new buzzword in my college, and I'm starting to loathe it. "This semester, you'll write a paper reflecting on what you might have done wrong when making Gram stains." "Your last assignment will be a reflection on your performance in the phlebotomy course." Reflect this, reflect that. Ugh.

I'll second this. I once worked for someone that had staff write reflections on their performance each year. I don't know why a little word bothered me so much, but it did.

RevisionIsTheKey
01-08-2010, 07:25 AM
I think the word fresco should be banished, it's too confusing. I'm never sure if it's a soda drink, a weather condition or a company.

I believe you are thinking of Al Fresco, who owns the soft drink company.
:roll:

Cyia
01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
My pet peeve, though...I've seen too many blogs where too many posts start with...guess what word.

SO... you might not want to read my blog.

kdnxdr
01-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I think the word booger(corrected;thank you) when referring to small children should be illegal. It's prejudicial and slanderous and leads to worse references such as snot.

No wonder American children have so many social difficulties, they think they were "hocked up" as an irritating discomfort.

Cyia
01-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Do you mean "booger"?

"Bugger" means something else entirely.

Polly
01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Another vote for the misuse of 'literally'.

I went to a concert last year and the MC claimed he was 'literally soiling himself with excitement'.

I pitied the front rows.

stormie
01-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Clearly.
As in, "Clearly, you didn't get the point." Or "He clearly didn't do a good job."

Rarri
01-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Do you mean "booger"?

"Bugger" means something else entirely.

Wouldn't be unusual for someone to call a child 'a little bugger'.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bugger

lucidzfl
01-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Wouldn't be unusual for someone to call a child 'a little bugger'.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bugger

go bugger yourself!

Christine N.
01-09-2010, 05:14 AM
I hate when people say "ignorant" when they mean "rude."

I think we shouldn't ban words, only ban people who don't know how to use them properly from saying them.