question on sequels . . .

Alice Luther

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingwordbyword.com
So . . .

The book is finished*, and the query is ready to go. As this is my first novel-length work of fiction for which I'm seeking representation, when is a good time to mention that, while it IS a stand-alone piece, the story truly wraps in the second book—currently in process.

Does that happen in a query letter (please tell me 'no'), in communication following interest or request for full, help???

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

—Alice

*Seriously, like anything is ever finished.

rmgil04

In re-write limbo!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersinprogresswip.blogspot.com
You might want to research some other query letters, especially successful queries to see if they mention that the story is part of a series or a possible series.

In general though, I wouldn't stress it too much in a query letter. It's a good strategy that the story could be stand alone. It drives me nuts when a first book doesn't really have an ending.

Danthia

I said "The Shifter stands alone but could continue as a trilogy if that would help its marketability." No one seemed to mind that language and I got four ms. requests. My agent (after I got her of course) also recommended I start a new book while we were shopping the first, and not start work on the sequel. If the first book didn't sell, then we'd have something else to submit. I didn't start work on book two until we'd sold the full trilogy. So you don't have to write book two right away if you don't want to. (if you do, buy all means write away)

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
I had it in my query. "While this is a stand alone book, it does have the potential to be a three book series."

Got 5 full requests, so I guess it didn't hurt!

My agent (after I got her of course) also recommended I start a new book while we were shopping the first, and not start work on the sequel. If the first book didn't sell, then we'd have something else to submit. I didn't start work on book two until we'd sold the full trilogy. So you don't have to write book two right away if you don't want to. (if you do, buy all means write away)

THIS!! I have written 2 more books since that first one (That is being shopped but no interest yet) So glad I didn't waste time writing a sequel!!

Last edited: