Cav Scouts

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

I recently read that Cavalry Scouts are the only branch of the US Army that still wear the plain crossed sabers as thier branch insignia (as opposed to the sabers & tank of Armor). Does anyone out there know if that is the case?

Also, would Cav Scouts be found in Mech Infantry units at the batallion level, both currently and in the late 80s/early 90s?

Finally, are there Cav Scout officers or it it an enlisted job only?

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Former Air Cav here.

Insignia is as you stated.

Cavalry is its own mission; I was in the 6th Cavalry, part of III Corps back in the day. There are several cav units in the Army, from the 1st Cavalry Division down to detached units (I think, that might have changed since 1994). I offer you links to educate yourself:

1st Cav

2 CAV RGT

16 CAV RGT

Cav history in the US Army

You Tube Video of Cav Ops

There are Cav officers, of course.

SCOUTS OUT!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
As a former member of the 3rd ACR (Brave Rifles!), I'll vouch for Noah's response.

An Armored Cavalry Regiment has three basic missions, scouting (find the enemy), screening (delay the enemy) and assault (self-explanitory). Obviously they can be used in a number of other types of missions, but those were the main ones.

For example, during a REFORGER, the Cav ran into an opposing forces (OPFOR) unit. The Cav hit quick and then pulled back. By the time the OPFOR assaulted our position, we'd withdrawn. They got back into their columns for movement and a mile down the road, we hit them again.

They redeployed and by the time they'd gotten back into combat formation, we were gone.

Six miles down the road we hit them again. They waited a bit and when we didn't continue attacking, they just drove on, assuming we'd already pulled back again.

We had. But, this time, we'd pulled back through 2nd Armored Divisions lines and the OPFOR ran straight into two brigades of Armor that had been prepositioned and waiting for them.

It wasn't a long fight. *grin*

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
And a quick follow up.

Yes, there are still Cavalry troops assigned to Mech Inf units. (Troop = Company = Battery)

There were three ACRs until after Desert Storm. 11th ACR is now the OPFOR at the National Training Center (Ft. Irwin), 2nd ACR (LT) is now the OPFOR at JRTC (Ft. Polk (aka Camp Swampy)). The 3rd ACR is the only current Regiment with its full compliment of Armor and Scouts (Ft. Carson).

And if you're writing about Armored Cavalry remember this adage. "The Cav fights on the run, defends on the run and retreats on the run. A cavalry unit that stands still . . . dies."