Online Class Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this. I'm sure it will be moved if it's not.

I was thinking about taking an online class from Holly Lisle on revising a novel.
Here is the link: http://howtoreviseyournovel.com/

Would anyone reccomend this course? Is it worth the price or is it a possible scam?

I would love any information before I make my decision.

Spring Gem

Registered
Reaction score
I'm enrolled in the class and have received 3 lessons, but I'm not starting them until in January. It's a work at your own pace class with a forum for discussion. The class is based on Holly's One Pass Revision. I've bought several of her writing ebooks and have found them helpful. YMMV. I'd say read through some of her free article to see if you like her style.

Hope this helps.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
What is the price for the course? Most writing courses i"ve seen (online or in-person) cost from $200-$1000 for 3-4 months of course. The advantage of taking a course rather than just reading a book on writing or revision would be in the community - having an instructor who can offer you feedback or fellow students to share work with - and also in the accountability of having to produce things by a certain date.

You can also find these things for free online, to some extent. If you're looking for critique, you can find that here at AW, though it's less formalized and there are no deadlines. But taking a course forces you to work with a set group of people over a set time period - and you will deal with readers who may not necessarily be your ideal reader. That can help you rework your story to something with broader appeal, but it could also be frustrating if the reader(s) try to subvert your vision to something different.

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
The course is $50 a month for a 4 month class. It's supposed to have weekly classes on how to pick a book apart for revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.