PDA

View Full Version : Critique my author photo

JennaGlatzer
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
OK, be honest. What do you think of this as an author photo?

Lauri B
07-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, duh--you look beautiful.

Sarita
07-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Jenna! This is gorgeous! Wow, are your teeth white :) And you look like a real person vs. a posed person.

LloydBrown
07-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Hey, you're hot! Now my wife's gonna start to get jealous when I get on this board. (yes, must spell that last word correctly. "Honey, I'm gonna go get on the AW broad" would go over poorly at the Brown house.)

scfirenice
07-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Hey, you are hot...and I'm a girl...a married girl...but you're hot!!!!

maestrowork
07-29-2005, 05:58 PM
The long line of drooling AWers (men and women alike) will have no end...

jdkiggins
07-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Jenna,

Your photo is absolutely beautiful. It will look wonderful on your book.
We old farts (whom you thought could outrun you) are wishing we were young and beautiful again. :)

Carole
07-29-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm a newbie here, but I do have to comment. Of course you are just a beautiful gal. I think that goes without saying, so here is what struck me: You look so approachable!

So many book jackets have stuffy, posed pics that look like they were shot 20 years ago under harsh lights while the subject was holding the "cheese" position!! Yours seems so much more natural. A lovely gal with a mind like that can be nothing but a fab combination!

~~Carole :)

DJP
07-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Hey Jenna,

I agree. You look very approachable in this photo; you look like a real person. I liked the way it was taken on an angle, gives it a different twist. Very nice.:)

Unique
07-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Wow!!

(wish I looked like that - even 1/2 way like that)

OneTeam OneDream
07-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Umm......Ummm.....(drool)..My suggestion would be to have the author photo on the cover facing the customers, I'd definitely buy it! Ha.

three seven
07-29-2005, 07:24 PM
I actually think the snippet you've used for your avatar is better (and I mean exactly as it is, not as an idea).

But if you want to go with the body shot then I'd recommend either toning down the dress, which is so loud that it draws the eye directly to your chest (and figure-hugging enough that it stays there), or losing the colour altogether, as follows:

http://www.geocities.com/thingumybobwotsit/Untitled-2.jpg http://www.geocities.com/thingumybobwotsit/Untitled-3.jpg

aadams73
07-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Jenna, you look gorgeous and friendly.

Vanessa
07-29-2005, 08:33 PM
I actually think the snippet you've used for your avatar is better (and I mean exactly as it is, not as an idea).

But if you want to go with the body shot then I'd recommend either toning down the dress, which is so loud that it draws the eye directly to your chest (and figure-hugging enough that it stays there), or losing the colour altogether, as follows:

http://www.geocities.com/thingumybobwotsit/Untitled-2.jpg http://www.geocities.com/thingumybobwotsit/Untitled-3.jpg

Ok, here's my lil nickel minus three pennies...Jenna you are very attractive. And yep that's also coming from a woman who does recognize beauty. Nothing more. But I have to agree with "three seven." This picture leads one to the face and then straight to the chest; which you are blessed to wear nicely. The avatar shot shows a more ..if I may.."author territory look." Now on the other hand depending on what your marketing strategy is, well this shot could stand alone luring in some potential readers.

Bottom line is that this shot shows that you're beautiful and sexy first. The avatar shows that you're beautiful and a writer first then leads one to imagine what the rest of you may look like. Just my opinion.

LloydBrown
07-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Bottom line is that this shot shows that you're beautiful and sexy first. The avatar shows that you're beautiful and a writer first then leads one to imagine what the rest of you may look like. Just my opinion.

Just for the record, Jenna, I wasn't one of the people staring at your boobies. With all the conversation, I did have to take a look, but I didn't perceive the mammo-centric view that others have suggested.

maestrowork
07-29-2005, 09:40 PM
I agree with Three... I do like the color one better, but the dress was too colorful and busy. So dulling it down is a good move, drawing attention to your face instead of your chest ;) I'll go with the color, though. Maybe tweak the contrast a little and soften the edges...

OneTeam OneDream
07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=LloydBrown]Just for the record, Jenna, I wasn't one of the people staring at your boobies.
QUOTE]

I was..........er.....not, was not.

maestrowork
07-29-2005, 10:08 PM
I felt so dirty rubbing my cursor all over... when I was photoshopping her... picture.

Lady of Prose
07-29-2005, 10:34 PM
I've always favored black and white over color on book jackets. They seem more professional to me, for some reason--and for some less attractive authors, are far more flattering. Color can bring out any flaws that may be in one's complexion--and, I've always found that shoulder/head shots seem to leave a lasting impression, and appeal to the broad spectrum of readers, as opposed to full body shots. HOWEVER, having said all that, (and I didn't have to look at Jenna's boobies to form an opinion):) which ever you choose, Jenna, will be the right choice; I'm sure.

three seven
07-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Isn't it great how a simple comment about the framing and colour balance of a photograph prompts the men to protest loudly that they aren't a bunch of pervs, and the women to snidely imply that we are...

I, for the record, am not saying anything 'for the record'.

Lady of Prose
07-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Well, golly gee, three-seven. Can't blame the guys for being guys and the women for appreciating it. All of us love having fun, and kidding around.

Vanessa
07-29-2005, 11:37 PM
I love the edit you did Maestrowork. What a tremendous difference in changing the contrast. Now the shot looks richer and bolder and toned in some areas.

But I still have to stick with the avatar being my preference. Has anybody noticed too that the avatar is a different shot than the head shot of the full shot? (Arrrghhh...u know what I mean! Don't ya?) I didn't early on after just taking a glimpse.

three seven
07-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Is this what I get for spending a more sensible amount of time here?

:Headbang:

awatkins
07-29-2005, 11:54 PM
I love it, Jenna! Can I use it on my book??

;)

GonnaBeFamous
07-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Ok, here's my lil nickel minus three pennies...Jenna you are very attractive. And yep that's also coming from a woman who does recognize beauty. Nothing more. But I have to agree with "three seven." This picture leads one to the face and then straight to the chest; which you are blessed to wear nicely. The avatar shot shows a more ..if I may.."author territory look." Now on the other hand depending on what your marketing strategy is, well this shot could stand alone luring in some potential readers.

As much as I like hte photo as a single male, I'm going to have to agree with her. THe photo is TOO much sexiness for a author photo on a book. ;) I think you should cut it out so its from the neck and above like in your avatar.

OneTeam OneDream
07-30-2005, 12:40 AM
As much as I like hte photo as a single male, I'm going to have to agree with her. THe photo is TOO much sexiness for a author photo on a book. ;) I think you should cut it out so its from the neck and above like in your avatar.

Maybe she was just showing off.......could you blame her?

maestrowork
07-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Sex sells. Nothing's wrong with that.

My philosophy is, if you have it, flaunt it. Who says writers can't be sexy?

triceretops
07-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Awe, heck, I say let her rip. This book has got a lot of glamour in it and I personally don't mind seeing Jenna upstage Celine just a tad (or a whole cartfull). Two beautful women are twice the fun. Besides, maybe some Hollywood insiders will see how dynoooomite Jenna is in all three dimensions and compass directions and set her up for a screen test. It's all bout' "fame, friends and eight-by-tens" folks. Let the world see how beautiful this authoress is.

Tri

maestrowork
07-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Wait until they know Jenna can sing, too... Celine would be so jealous. ;)

JennaGlatzer
07-30-2005, 01:34 AM
LOL!!

Wow, thank you TONS for the ego boost. My husband hates this picture, but I don't get why. That's one of the reasons I asked for a critique.

I agree somewhat about the "sexiness" thing... problem is the dimensions. If I use this as a promo shot with press kits and such, it has to print out on a standard size (8x10 or 8 1/2x11). If I try to make it just a headshot, it doesn't fit those dimensions because it's square. I'll work up a couple of variations later today to show you and you can tell me if any of them are better...

P.S. This isn't for the Celine book... that's already at the printer with the photo of me with Celine (from my old avatar) as the author photo. This one's for future books, starting with The Street-Smart Writer, I hope.

the1dsquared
07-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Jenna, I love the pic. Beats the #%*& out of the ones with the author with the hand on their chin looking goofy. Color or B&W, both are great. My 2 cents.

JennaGlatzer
07-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Thank you guys and gals so much!

OK, here's revised version 1... this one's close to the correct proportions to print at 8 1/2 by 11... better? Worse?

awatkins
07-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Better. Not so much background to distract from your face.

three seven
07-30-2005, 02:14 AM
I'd say better, but you've still got a focus problem. The big bright purple thing didn't write the book - you did.

The framing's ok though.

JennaGlatzer
07-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Think it would help if I had it retouched so the dress was a solid color?

Heck, I'm gonna try it.

jdkiggins
07-30-2005, 02:18 AM
Jenna,
Okay, I'll say better, but I honestly don't know how you can get better out of an already beautiful...well beautiful everything. :)

three seven
07-30-2005, 02:20 AM

Heck, I'm gonna try it.I already gave you my opinion on that. I fear that if you try and make it a solid colour it'll just look like a block of solid colour.

three seven
07-30-2005, 02:40 AM
How about picking a shade out from behind you, so you're enveloped more by the background - that way you'll stand out against it more vividly.

reph
07-30-2005, 03:08 AM
OK, here's revised version 1... this one's close to the correct proportions to print at 8 1/2 by 11...
Better, but I think it needs still more cropping. Cut it off just above armpit level, at the bottom of where your hair falls forward over your left shoulder.

Something closer to a full-body shot, like the first one you posted, is appropriate for a book on weight loss or fashion. For a book on choosing mutual funds, you wouldn't want that unless it showed you wearing a gray suit and sitting in a wood-paneled room.

It's important for an author to look trustworthy. You're smiling so broadly that your eyes are vertically compressed. I'd like to see more of the irises and whites. Generally, people are perceived as more trustworthy if a viewer can see their eyes and they seem to look directly at the viewer.

three seven
07-30-2005, 03:15 AM
You're smiling so broadly that your eyes are vertically compressed. I'd like to see more of the irises and whites.That's a good point. I would have mentioned it, but having never seen a picture of Jenna where this wasn't the case, I didn't like to make the assumption that she has eyes, just in case... you know... she hasn't.

Vanessa
07-30-2005, 04:49 AM
I know we're here offering opinions, and personally cropping this one doesn't have the "feel and look of writer" as the avatar. The avatar makes a statement as a writer. I understand you saying the dimensions don't fit the design layout you need. I've already tried cropping this one and didn't like either way it ended up. I'm not sure about your timeframe, but I would suggest taking more pictures similar to the avatar in several shots. (Head shots and full body shots in different poses) For the pictures, I would stick with wearing variations of something soft and warm in color that reveals more of your face and style. It's obvious and anyone can pleasantly agree, you are a natural beautiful lady so anything causing abstract to that would be obvious.

JennaGlatzer
07-30-2005, 04:51 AM
WISEBUTT! <--- (Edit: Oops. I meant that toward Three Seven.)

(That, as it turns out, was Anthony's complaint. But it's also true that there are very few pictures of me where my eyes aren't like that. I can't help it. That's what happens when I smile. My avatar's even worse.)

Reph, I'd like to cut it at the armpit level, but then it won't be in the right proportions to print. I'll keep playing with it, but I'm very glad that the general consensus is that it's a good pic!

Did I spell consensus right?

JennaGlatzer
07-30-2005, 05:02 AM
P.S. Here's the avatar pic bigger... I just think I'm too squinty in it.

three seven
07-30-2005, 05:28 AM
There are very few pictures of me where my eyes aren't like that.Well, here's an idea for you... Take some! Less grinning, more looking where you're going. You'll take good pictures and as a bonus, you won't bump into stuff so much.

I'm very glad that the general consensus is that it's a good pic!Hold it. The general consensus is that it makes you look hot, not that it's a good picture. Go back through and sort the objective composition-based opinion from the stalking.

Did I spell consensus right?Annoyingly, yes. I pity the fool that taught me to spell it with a 'c'.

three seven
07-30-2005, 05:29 AM
P.S. Here's the avatar pic bigger... I just think I'm too squinty in it.P.S. You're right.

Vanessa
07-30-2005, 05:31 AM

I LIKE THIS ONE MUCH BETTER! The picture is soft, and your face is defined. The black/white makes a HUGE difference. The shot of your face shows a beautiful, confident and well established writer. It shows who you are. I know the guys were mentioning the squinting, but I don't see it as a noticeable problem. I can still see your eyes and the white.

three seven
07-30-2005, 05:35 AM
No, she looks like she's got the sun in her eyes, which implies a hurried shoot and, therefore, a that'll-do attitude.

mommie4a
07-30-2005, 05:35 AM
Jenna, I think the pic is lovely, natural, mature, friendly and inviting. In color or not. Squint or not. Sorry if that isn't so helpful - but I think you should go with whatever your gut says.

Vanessa
07-30-2005, 05:43 AM
- but I think you should go with whatever your gut says.

I strongly agree.

JennaGlatzer
07-30-2005, 06:20 AM
This was the first time I actually got professional pics done for my author shot... makes a big difference. I can't afford to do it again right now, so I'm pretty sure I'm sticking to one of those two photos. But this...

You'll take good pictures and as a bonus, you won't bump into stuff so much.

...cracked me up. ;)

I'll keep playing to see what I can do to downplay (or crop out) my body, but even though I'm a little squinty, I'm happy with the headshot.

Vanessa, thanks so much for the input... I wasn't really considering the avatar pic before, but now I'll have to play with both of them and see!

maestrowork
07-30-2005, 06:24 AM

Heck, I'm gonna try it.

Try the contrast and darkening of the dress like I did before... it breaks out your skin tone and also your face... and take away focus from your... ahem, you know.

maestrowork
07-30-2005, 06:26 AM

Too squinty, and the strand of hair is eating your face...

I like the other one, color, with better contrast and fuzzier background.

three seven
07-30-2005, 06:26 AM
I'll keep playing to see what I can do to downplay (or crop out) my bodyJust remember that the problem is not the body but the dress. I personally think the original framing is great, as long as you... blah blah blah and a load of other stuff I already said. ;)

three seven
07-30-2005, 06:27 AM
Try the contrast and darkening of the dress like I did before... Sorry, like who did?

maestrowork
07-30-2005, 06:30 AM
I did one with a better contrast...

Here's my take... I think your face should be the focus, with those bright, gleaming teeth and your nice complexion...

Here:

three seven
07-30-2005, 06:32 AM
I did one with a better contrast...Yeah, from my bloody colourway. You'll be hearing from my solicitor.

maestrowork
07-30-2005, 06:36 AM
Speak English... ;)

three seven
07-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Very funny.

awatkins
07-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Try the contrast and darkening of the dress like I did before... it breaks out your skin tone and also your face....

Not that Ray wants your face to break out or anything. :ROFL:

Vanessa
07-30-2005, 06:53 AM

Here's my take... I think your face should be the focus, with those bright, gleaming teeth and your nice complexion...

Here:

Hey Maestrowork, didn't notice before from the last edit you did, but this one seems to have a lot of pink undertones in her dress, on her arms and face.

LloydBrown
07-30-2005, 06:54 AM

Now that looks good.

reph
07-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Reph, I'd like to cut it at the armpit level, but then it won't be in the right proportions to print.
You can take quite a bit off the right side. Not all of your shoulder has to show. If the original photo has more foliage at the top (i.e., the top was cropped in making the first version you posted), get back some of that to work with.

We all know you're pretty, but that's not the point. (Back, men, back! And wipe up the drool on your way out.) three seven and I are being honest with you not that others aren't, only that other criteria besides attractiveness are important.

JennaGlatzer
07-30-2005, 11:01 AM
I agree, but I think everyone else does, too-- hence the comments that I looked friendly, approachable, confident, etc. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the compliments no matter what!-- but I did ask what people thought of it as an author photo and aside from the kidding around, I think that's how people were answering.

Let's work from the assumption that I'm going to use this pic, and now it's just a matter of figuring out the cropping and coloring. Three, how did you tone down the dress in your first example? I liked that, and would probably go even farther with it. Ray, maybe it's my monitor, but to me, the coloring on yours looks very "colorized" (not natural). I really just want to play with the coloring on the dress to make it more neutral.

reph
07-30-2005, 12:06 PM
All right, I'll assume there are no more leaves at the top and you can't open your eyes any wider. On my screen, Ray's latest version is 2 7/8" x 3 1/4". Cropping 1/2" off the bottom and a bit more than that off the right side (.565") would maintain the proportions and put your face nearer the center of the photo. It would reduce the area of purple fabric shown. You might try changing the purple and white so it looks more like black and white, just a little purplish.

three seven
07-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Three, how did you tone down the dress in your first example? I liked that, and would probably go even farther with it.Well the first thing you need to do is remove the dress, like this:

http://www.geocities.com/thingumybobwotsit/dress.gif

It shares tones with the background and, more pertinently, with you, which renders it hard to adjust without making your face a funny colour.

Then you need to manually alter the colour balance (simply adjusting the brightness and contrast will make it stick out like a sore thumb). If you don't know how to do this, either ask me for instructions or just tell me how you want it to look and I'll sort it.

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
07-30-2005, 02:45 PM
what a nice guy

maestrowork
07-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Jenna, I was just playing with the picture... the color contrast, etc. is not perfect... my monitor is calibrated for print (and my Photoshop is set to show "proof" colors), and it looks pretty good on it...

But this is what I did (and you could do the same with Photoshop):

1. Use the "Burn" tool to slightly darken the edges of your photo, giving the middle more focus;
2. "Blur" the background foliage to bring out your face;
3. Adjust "Level" -- here's where you can play with the contrast, brightness, mid-tone;
4. To tone down the dress, you can do what Three did... select the dress, then use "Contrast." Or you can use the "Burn" tool to make it darker. With a bright smile and bright background and your fair skin, your dress can use a few shades darker;
5. "Lighten" (using the Dodge tool) your hair a bit to show off the highlights...

Cropping... you can experiment with it. I think it looks pretty good as it is now -- the focus is on your face, but with your shoulders showing, you avoid the dreaded "headshot" look. You can also crop it to a 3/4 shot instead, but your chest does draw attention... ;) But if you can darken your dress more, it might not be a problem.

three seven
07-30-2005, 04:48 PM
4. To tone down the dress, you can do what Three did... select the dress, then use "Contrast." No, that's exactly what I said NOT to do.

Vanessa
07-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Hope these show up. First time attaching in AW.

bobeggleton
07-31-2005, 12:28 AM
Where is the intelligence you wanted to project? Robert Eggleton

Julie Worth
07-31-2005, 12:58 AM

Is it a sin to touch it up? Like this?

Perks
07-31-2005, 01:03 AM
Where is the intelligence you wanted to project? Robert Eggleton

That was harsh.

three seven
07-31-2005, 01:06 AM

Yes. That looks f**king creepy.

Julie Worth
07-31-2005, 01:16 AM
Yes. That looks f**king creepy.

Well, it isn't squinty.

Bufty
07-31-2005, 01:39 AM
I like it.

Crop to head and shoulders? Depends what you want the prospective buyer to be thinking about when he looks at your photo, which in turn depends upon the particular book's content, I guess. I'm no photographer.

TemlynWriting
07-31-2005, 02:14 AM

It looks like she's wearing a lot of eyeliner and mascara. Maybe a bit less of a touch-up?

(No offense intended.)

Vanessa
07-31-2005, 04:24 AM

How did you get the picture in the frame onto this page like that? I got the attachment uploaded, but can't display it fully here. HELP!!!!!!http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHammer.gif

PS: I think the eyes are outlined too dark and too defined in your edit. Good effort though since some were concerned about the squinting. Again I don't see her squinting being obvious; she has small eyes.

More of my nickel minus three pennies: On the avatar one may think it's the sun causing the so-called squinting, because of the sunlight reflection, but on the other one there's no direct sunlight to her face. I think that if she opened her eyes any wider, it would look unnatural. But hey what do I know?

Personally I see no major edit problems with any of the pictures other than down toning the dress and removing some of the sun reflections from it and cropping the pictures to a desired point. She's stated that she's going to go with one of these, which a professional photographer has already done a good job as far as clarity and perception.

And again, my personal favorite is the avatar. Even with the wind blowing, it's making a statement. One that's not so perfect, but honest and natural. It shows her being very confident and spells WRITER with capital letters.

Lady of Prose
07-31-2005, 06:09 AM
Vannessa did the same edit I did--but I couldn't get the links up. Good work Vannessa, looks great! Email them to Jenna.

Vanessa
07-31-2005, 09:32 AM
Vannessa did the same edit I did--but I couldn't get the links up. Good work Vannessa, looks great! Email them to Jenna.

Thanks a lot Lady of Prose. I'll email them to her.

JennaGlatzer
07-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks so much, Vanessa! In answer to your question about how to get pics to show up: If there's just one attachment in the post, it'll just automatically show up right in the post. If there are two, they post as links.

Vanessa
07-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks so much, Vanessa! In answer to your question about how to get pics to show up: If there's just one attachment in the post, it'll just automatically show up right in the post. If there are two, they post as links.

Thanks Jenna,

Vanessa
08-01-2005, 07:57 AM
I took out the sun reflections from the dress and cropped the picture just at the chest. I was basically playing around in PhotoshopCS.

Vanessa
08-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Same thing with this black and white one.

Vanessa
08-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Here's the original!

GonnaBeFamous
08-01-2005, 08:27 AM
This is gonna be the photo on a book on mutual funds? LOL

Lauri B
08-01-2005, 08:14 PM
This is all a moot point. We're going to have Jenna on the back cover wearing a yellow fisherman's survival suit, yellow hat, and carrying a big fishing pole, like that guy on the fishstick box. It's going to be great.

JennaGlatzer
08-01-2005, 09:07 PM
I love you, Lauri.

And since I am actually going fishing today, it'll be the perfect photo op!

rich
08-01-2005, 11:28 PM
I'd prefer a straight look into the camera--shows what work you've done wrestling with the words.

On a more significant note, where will you be fishing and for what I, and I'm sure Frank, find that just as important as your career,

Dave Sloane
05-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Sorry, but it's too Sears catalog.

Elizabeth Slick
07-13-2006, 09:48 AM
You look stunning! What a great photo! Leave it as is with the full shot. With your trim figure, it's very flattering.

poetinahat
07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Love it. Of course. But it's the slanted perspective I'm not sure about. Have you decided you like it better than a straight-on view?

Ben King
07-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Sorry, I just fainted and hit my head on the desk. I'm dying of blood loss, but who cares, that's an awesome photo!

NewB
07-13-2006, 02:23 PM
pssst... guys... this thread is a little old, don't you think?

blackpen
01-09-2007, 08:59 AM
hi jenna. i don't know if you've already turned that photo in by now, but i'd say, either leave the full shot or cut off the photo above the chest, as opposed to right below it, since the way you had it last cropped actually accentuates the chest in a way that isn't so flattering and may be perceived as deliberate. i didn't think it was a big issue at all but apparently some people will see things that are not there. good luck! wish i were in your position.

Michael Murphy
02-20-2007, 07:39 PM
I think the picture is great as is. Makes me want to buy the book, put it on the shelf and turn it around so I can see the picture. Seriously, it's intriguing. Beautiful, glamourous; use it.

Michael Murphy
Suspense is just a click away...
www.mjmurphy.com (http://www.mjmurphy.com)