Dune

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
This bitterly cold weekend, I decided to catch up on some movies that I had not seen but felt that I should watch. I'm one who typically avoids watching movies because they overstimulate me or leaving me watching over my shoulders too scared to laugh out loud (issue from growing up.) So I braved the issues and watched some seminal sci-fi classics: Spaceballs, Starship Troopers, Total Recall, Tron and Dune.

Now, I must start off my critique of the movie I have to state that I had not read the three books by Frank Herbert and wanted to see the movie first before I attempt to go ahead and search for the books to read them. You know, as a testing ground so that I know what I'm getting into it. I also know that I have been forewarned that the movie is difficult to understand if you had not read the books. I took my chances.

I have to say that after watching the movie, I have to say I am disappointed by the movie and that I felt it did not sell the book as much as I had hoped it would. For the most part, it seemed at best surrealist artwork to me and that if I was to read the book, I'd be even more confused by it. It was paced too quickly, especially the extended cut, and jumped too quickly from one scene to another much too quickly and switched scenes that seemed on occasion non sequitur. It seemed that the movie would have still been indecipherable even if I had read the books beforehand.

Anyone else had this issue?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having read the series at least three times, I was disappointed in David Lynch's telling of Dune (from what I've heard, so was Herbert). It was indecipherable; there was too much for anything other than a TV miniseries, which SciFi/Syfy did a few years ago. I found that version to be much more interesting and closer to the book (the ending of Lynch's film used the ending of one of the other books, BTW).

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's good to know. Everything just seemed to go in a flash and that was the end of it.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am disappointed Alejandro Jodorowsky didn't managed to direct it. I mean, Pink Floyd Soundtrack? HR Giger designs? Salvador Dali as the Shaddam???

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Weren't there rumblings about a new Dune film?
I was pretty disappointed with the Lynch version and, though it was better, not really bowled over by the mini-series' either.

Peter Berg, who directed The Kingdom, wants to film Dune, according to this from August of this year.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
What? There are people who go to see a David Lynch movie and expect it to be comprehensible?

I really had no idea David Lynch directed the movie nor was I familiar with David Lynch's repertoire.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Considering how over-the-top the whole Dune story is, I think Lynch was an inspired choice. Not to say that the resulting film is good, but it has its own bizarre glory.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Having read the series at least three times, I was disappointed in David Lynch's telling of Dune (from what I've heard, so was Herbert). It was indecipherable; there was too much for anything other than a TV miniseries, which SciFi/Syfy did a few years ago. I found that version to be much more interesting and closer to the book (the ending of Lynch's film used the ending of one of the other books, BTW).

No, actually Herbert wrote (in his story collection "Eye") that he was very pleased with the cinematic adaptation.

Deleted member 42

I get the movie and the miniseries mixed up . . .

I thought Sting was a good casting choice but Patrick Stewart as Gurney Hallack?

Awesome.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the one with Kyle MacLaughlin and Sting. I can't remember what the hell happened. David Lynch is one of my favorite directors; loved Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks, and Mulholland Drive. But Dune was just a WTF moment.