Any SCUBA divers?

C. C.

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I've never been SCUBA diving, or anything similar, so forgive the stupid question. I have a brief scene where a (female) character has taken a SCUBA lesson. What I need to know is, what would a person wear? I don't mean the equipment...just clothing. Is what you wear called a wetsuit? Do you wear anything under it (bathing suit?) Oh, and the scene takes place in Puerto Rico, so the weather/water is warm, if that matters.

See, told you it was a stupid question. :eek:

Anyway, thanks for any help.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
I've been certified for more than thirty years. Classes will vary depending on the school and the environment. Typically the first few classes are in a pool - but some resort locations will offer lessons just to get people up to speed. In such a case, figure it might be in the shallows of a local reef.

A semi-tropical or tropical environment? Bathing suit is just fine. I used to dive in Cozumel in just a swimsuit or cutt-offs. IF there is a chance you'll be diving around coral - which can be sharp/rough - but the water is still warm - then a light 'dive skin' which is really just an all over body-suit can be worn - to protect from scrapes and such. Again, I've known guys to just dive in their jeans if the water was warm and they were going to be working around rocks or reef. Not stylish, but it works.

Wetsuits come in varying lengths and thickness. "Shorties" 'Farmer Johns' and such - lightweight for warm water, heavy weight for colder water.

SO - in Puerto Rico - for a 'beginner class' on the beach - a swimsuit is fine, a 'dive skin' or light wetsuit might also be appropriate. She can rent them from the same shop she is taking lessons from.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a certified diver--did so while in Hawaii. I wore a Body Glove wetsuit (shorty) like those pictured in the link and didn't wear anything underneath. The water is warm there and a half suit is all you need (if that). In HI, classes are held both in the open ocean and swimming pools--depends upon the school/instructor (I'm PADI certified). I hope that helps! :) If you have additional questions feel free to PM me!

http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4187E

C. C.

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you WriteKnight and Rowan. That's exactly what I needed to know. It's just a minor scene, but I can't stand getting the details wrong. :)

So thank, thank you, thank you! :D

EDITED TO ADD: I checked out the link, and also pulled up some other places where the suits are for sale, and I came up with one other question: How do you get in and out of those things? Do they have a zipper up the back? Are they hard to get into, like trying to put on pantyhose when you're sweaty?

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you WriteKnight and Rowan. That's exactly what I needed to know. It's just a minor scene, but I can't stand getting the details wrong. :)

So thank, thank you, thank you! :D

EDITED TO ADD: I checked out the link, and also pulled up some other places where the suits are for sale, and I came up with one other question: How do you get in and out of those things? Do they have a zipper up the back? Are they hard to get into, like trying to put on pantyhose when you're sweaty?

Yes, a long zipper in the back that comes down to your waist. It has a 'rip cord' attached so you can reach around and pull it down and also zip yourself up. You have to kind of shimmy into a wetsuit (the full body ones are like wrapping yourself in a sausage casing sometimes :)). But the shorties aren't that bad. But yeah, can be kind of like putting on pantyhose when you're sweaty...for me it was always much easier getting out of a wet wetsuit! Another good reason to throw on a bikini underneath.

I hope that helps.

C. C.

Registered
Reaction score
Perfect...that's what I needed to know. Thanks!