Rapid response from a query—too fast?

GWBailey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geoarts.com
Recently I emailed a query to an agent and she emailed me back in about 3-4 hours, requesting a complete manuscript. No partial or synopsis. Naturally, I was amazed at the turn-around time. A bit too fast, perhaps?

I did some additional research and found the mailing address of this agent is that of an advertising agency. So, how common is it for literary agents to work out of advertising agencies?

On the positive side, they do not charge reading fees, nor any other fees, other than the standard 15%.

I’m leery of sending anything now. Maybe I shouldn’t be. Something doesn’t seem right here, though.

Xavier Kobel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writing.com
GWBailey said:
Recently I emailed a query to an agent and she emailed me back in about 3-4 hours, requesting a complete manuscript. No partial or synopsis. Naturally, I was amazed at the turn-around time. A bit too fast, perhaps?

I did some additional research and found the mailing address of this agent is that of an advertising agency. So, how common is it for literary agents to work out of advertising agencies?

On the positive side, they do not charge reading fees, nor any other fees, other than the standard 15%.

I’m leery of sending anything now. Maybe I shouldn’t be. Something doesn’t seem right here, though.
GW, wow 3 to 4 hour turn around in this industry is fast. Don't dismiss her, but I suggest checking her out. Predators and Editors is a fantastic source I've used to dig up dirt on a scam agent I almost got duped by.

You can email them if the agent is not listed and ask if there is anything new you should be aware of. They are very responsive.

I've also noticed there is a forum on AW solely dedicated to give all the basics of searching out agents.

Your internal mechanism, leery feeling is going off for a reason. Research the agent, put your fears to rest, discover a possible scam, or it could be the work is the next big thing about to be discovered.

Good luck GW!

Keep me Posted

Xavier Kobel

Xavier Kobel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writing.com
Great suggestion aruna. I knew the forum on AW is there....Love that you helped me out......Memory crickety....undies outside my pants....lol

the1dsquared

Dave Diamantes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deadpenpals.com
No agent is better than a bad agent

GW, I had a similar experience. Thanks to advice from this board, I checked the agent out first. She wouldn't share her client list and had no reported sales. Both are red flags. Once you hitch your wagon to a horse that can't pull it, you're in a jam.

check out this thread:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522&page=3&pp=25

Good luck my friend!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
A bit too fast? No. I recently emailed a query to a top notch agent. Within an hour she called me on the phone asking for the full ms. She ultimately passed on my work but had a few helpful pieces of advice.

GWBailey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geoarts.com
Okay, thanks for the input folks! Yes, I’ve checked out Editors&Preditors and this agent isn’t listed there. Since there are no fees being charged, submitting isn’t a risk.

I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again.

GWB

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
It's highly likely this agent is merely sharing office space with the advertising agency and that's very, very common. Office space is expensive!

As for two fast, it may be quick, but some agents are quick to request and slow to read. Others are fast all around. Others are slow all around. There's no rule of thumb to follow.

Finally, I'd be wary of "naming names." You can libel someone using the web, so the old saying applies, I think: If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all. There is a private message service here and if you want to say something in private, that's your call.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I recently sent out a few email queries, and two of the people I wrote to replied within twelve hours, saying they wanted to see the entire manuscript. They are both top-notch agents, well respected, AAR members, and have proven track records with impressive sales. A third, who is an AAR member with a number of sales under her belt, replied in just two hours to tell me she wasn't interested.

I don't think the time frame really means anything -- it just means that this particular agent had a few minutes free to reply to your query. As Andy said, some get back to you faster than others, but I'm not sure you can really use that as a gauge of how good the agent is as an agent.

Xavier Kobel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writing.com
Hey GW, I've been busting all night at work. Would you mind sharing the agent contact info with me?

I am 1/4 through the 1st edit on my book. I want to begin researching agents and publishers to submit the MS. This can be another to add to the list.

If your not comfortable sharing public, private share?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
AKA: Xaiver Kobel