PDA

View Full Version : Best present ever

~*Kate*~
12-15-2009, 07:44 AM
In keeping with the least loved present (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165381) thread: Tell us the best gift you've ever received.

(Do we already have this thread going? It seems likely but I didn't see it... )

ad_lucem
12-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Trips skiing w/ my dad were the best present ever. We went pretty much every year from the time I was about 7 until I turned 13 and he married someone who hated skiing.

Still, I wouldn't trade the memories of those 5 Christmases.

jennontheisland
12-15-2009, 08:10 AM
When I was 14 my brother gave me a tshirt that had the cover of the latest series of Spiderman comics on it. I wore it for three days straight.

I still have it.

ejaycee
12-15-2009, 08:14 AM
My puppy. That's both christmas and birthday presents, for me. :)

escritora
12-15-2009, 08:19 AM
There are many issues with growing up poor. One of the worst is that I was entitled to free lunch at school. That meant I never owned a Little House on the Prairie lunchbox. Several years ago my boyfriend at the time surprised me with a vintage Little House lunchbox. It even has the original thermus. I was about 29 or 30.

Wayne K
12-15-2009, 08:25 AM
A cheap piece of crap beanie bear. It couldn't have cost $10, but my brother, who had just passed away, used to collect them. My wife got me one that year, with angel wings.

JoeEkaitis
12-15-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm torn between the Tick Toy Clock, which actually kept time and could be disassembled and put back together,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y0ZlSySQA1Q/R6K_DNyMn8I/AAAAAAAACPQ/Tm2AXqBtfG0/s1600/clocko.jpg

and Magnetel, the magnetic billiards, hockey and Tic Tac Toe game.

http://www.prestonmarketing.com/toys/magnetel/magnetel/magnebox.jpg

Both were endless sources of childhood fun.

cptwentworth
12-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't have very many memories of childhood, and I haven't gotten many presents as an adult. I'd better start making some new memories!

kaitie
12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Tickets to go see Trans-Siberian Orchestra live with my family last year. :) It was completely awesome, and I'd been wanting to go see them for ten years.

My awesome Cthulhu winter hat is a very close second. ;)

regdog
12-15-2009, 03:55 PM
I got a stuffed Snoopy from my Aunt for my first Christmas. I was 4 months old. Still have him. He's sitting on in the dining room.

For my birthday one year, I was down the Cape with my Dad. We went sailing and a minke whale came up next to the boat. We went out to dinner that night, one of the best days ever.

jilly61
12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
My favourite present was some theatre tickets. I got to choose what to see and had two nights full of happy memories.

stormie
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
The year my mother-in-law actually put a lot of thought into my Christmas present. I was pregnant and couldn't fit into my warm winter coat. She searched for and found a heavy wool poncho with a hood. And then surprised me with it (usually she tells people ahead of time what she's getting them).

~*Kate*~
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
One year for our anniversary, my husband built us a bed and managed to keep it a surprise.

DWSTXS
12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Last Christmas, I was all alone (recently divorced, no family in the area to go see) so I splurged on myself and got myself the Kindle. I love it!.

I know that's a pathetic story, but what can you do?

LOL

I GAVE someone a great present though. I got my ex-wife a little gift, and it wasn't much, but she says it's one of the most useful gifts she ever received.

It's a spiral chrome wire thingy that holds used plastic trash bags. (we both have cats, and use plastic trash bags daily, when we scoop the poop)
It was a cheap $10 gift, and I thought she'd think it was a POC, but it turns out she loves it.

Now my brother is one of those people who ALWAYS find great gifts for everyone. They're always unique and fun. I wish I was more like him.

Kitty Pryde
12-15-2009, 09:07 PM
For my 25th birthday, my partner had a cake made for me from a fancy bakery. It was small, but the top had a perfect picture of Marvin the Paranoid Android from the recent Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy drawn in icing and chocolate, and it said "Don't Panic! It's Your 25th Birthday Sarah!" I was so enamored with it that I didn't even want anyone to cut into it. And of course it was delicious. But it was really that I was impressed that she knew I loved Marvin, found the picture online, remembered the quote 'don't panic!', and got it all made into delicious cake form because she knew I would love it. She always buys me really nice things as gifts, but this one was the most special. I will try to post a pic:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v182/107/30/2534085/n2534085_39545042_1522.jpg

kayleamay
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
A lifetime ago, when I was in my first year in the Air Force, my leave was declined to go home for the holidays so I spent the week on a nearly deserted base in Texas. I was enrolled in a long technical school, and I was also the only female in my flight. My TI was a retired Marine who you could hear barking from about three blocks away. Everyone was scared shitless of him.

A couple of days before Christmas, he called me into his office. I was sure that I was probably busted for something, because that was the only reason he ever called anyone into his office. But, he just wanted to talk. He asked me why I never dated and how I ended up in the Air Force, and on and on for a good couple of hours. Then, he told me to go to bed and stay out of trouble.

The next day (Christmas Eve) I had a package in my inbox from him. It was a pair of pearl earrings with a letter explaining that he had a daughter who had died a few years prior and that he'd originally bought them for her. He said I reminded him of his daughter. He also added that if I told anyone about the gift or his daughter, he would make my life a living hell for the next six months. I believed him and kept my mouth shut, but I wore them every day for the next year. I still wear them every once in awhile.

semilargeintestine
12-15-2009, 11:09 PM
That made me go, "Awww."

kayleamay
12-16-2009, 03:58 AM
That made me go, "Awww."

I guess that's better than hurling.

aadams73
12-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Every Christmas my parents let me live another year. That was pretty nice of them.

semilargeintestine
12-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I can't really think of a best gift I ever got. I get more joy out of someone else enjoying something I gave.

I guess that's better than hurling.

I'm a big sap. :)

lucidzfl
12-17-2009, 12:08 AM
I think the best present I ever got was from my wife. She's the most horrible secret keeper in the world, but nonetheless incredibly sweet.

We were walking by this small movie theater and on a big poster, I saw "One Night Only, George Romero narrates his horror classic Night Of the Living Dead - Live and in person!"

G.R. is without a doubt my favorite filmmaker and just a fascinating man in general. It was already sold out and I'd had no idea it was even coming to town. I turned to her and said, oh my god, I can't fucking believe Romero is going to be in THAT THEATER and I didn't know about it and can't see him. (The live show was about a two weeks away at that point)

She's like, god that sucks I know how much you like him. We start walking away, about 20 feet and she starts bouncing uncontrollably (As she's want to do when excited)

She stops and turns to me and says "I'm so horrible at this. Of course I already got us tickets for it!!"

The show itself was probably one of the coolest god damned experiences I've ever had. He got completely wrecked on vodka, stopped even TALKING about the movie about 30 minutes in and just started telling us (only about 200 people present, all the theater held) stories that probably never should be repeated about BIG hollywood names that he's worked with.

Especially Dennis Hopper!!! LOL!

herbchick
12-17-2009, 12:24 AM
I had met this guy, who was friends with my parents and me - we had known each other about 3 months - and was supposed to go out with him but my horse fell on top of my friend and she had to go to the ER. We both knew she wasn't hurt that bad but I used that as an excuse to cancel my date because I was getting cold feet. Anyway when I got home (and my parents were pissed) the guy was there. He had bought all of us presents for Christmas. I opened mine and it was a snowglobe with a beautiful carousel horse inside. What made it so wonderful is that I had ALWAYS wanted one and had never gotten one, I mentioned it to him shortly after we met, he remembered and bought something I actually wanted. By the next Christmas we were married and celebrating Hanukkah.

Shadow_Ferret
12-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Hmm. It was either this:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/JohnnySevenCatalog.jpg
or this:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/ToyUNCLEGun.jpg
or this:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/majormattmason.jpg
or this innocent radio:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/RadioRifleClosed.jpg
that became this cool rifle!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/RadioRifleOpen.jpg

DWSTXS
12-17-2009, 01:15 AM
that rifle-radio is pretty wicked. You could listen to the game while you mowed-em down.

JoNightshade
12-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I have had lots of really wonderful presents but one that springs to mind is my 10th birthday. For YEARS, literally years, I had wanted a cat SO BAD. I had cat shirts, cat earrings, wallpapered my room with cat posters... yeah. But I knew I wasn't going to get one because my dad was like "No. No cats. They will shred the furniture, smell, get hair everywhere, etc. etc. etc." And knowing my dad, that was that. So I consoled myself by volunteering at the local animal shelter every Saturday and playing with the kittens.

Tenth birthday. My parents blindfold me and tell me they are taking me somewhere special. We get in the car, drive, drive. They take me in somewhere. My mom asks me, do I know where I am? It smells familiar but I can't put my finger on it. I have no idea.

Mom takes off the blindfold and I'm standing in front of the room with the kittens at the animal shelter. My folks tell me to pick one out.

I'm so happy I just about die. I don't need to spend any time choosing because I already know which cat I want.

And heck if he isn't the best cat ever. Never tore up any furniture, never sprayed, never did anything horrific. 18 years later he still lives with my folks and my dad (who would never admit this) loves him to death.

Clair Dickson
12-17-2009, 01:54 AM
I was about 13 (give or take a year.) I had recently inherited the old, old Mac computer, complete with dot matrix printer and keyboard that went thunk-thunk-thunk with every stroke. (Luckily, my parents actually liked the sound of their kid typing away into the night on some story! And now that I think about it, my Hubby says he loves the sound of my fingers on the keyboard, too...)

Well, for Christmas, my Dad got my a CASE of printer paper (with the edges for the dot matrix printer to feed it-- I was the only printer in the house that required it.) I could barely lug that box upstairs to my bedroom. It took a couple years to use it all up. In fact, I ended up upgrading printers and computers before I was wholly out of paper.

Still, what better gift for a little writer? <3

tjwriter
12-17-2009, 02:21 AM
I can't really think of a best gift I ever got. I get more joy out of someone else enjoying something I gave.

Me too. I do enjoy the things I've gotten, but most of my gifts are practical and I like it that way. I think my husband's getting me a foodsaver this year, and I really, really want one, so that makes me happy.

Kitty Pryde
12-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Yeah, I will admit that I am starting to get a bigger kick out of giving. Last Hanukkah I made my parents fleece blankets, really warm 2-layer ones. My mom's had sleeves a la the Snuggie, and a foot pocket to avoid foot freezings. My dad's was a smaller lap blanket and it had a picture of Pogo (the possum) embroidered on it, along with "We have met the enemy, and he is us". They keep them out in the winter for cuddling up under.

Recently the house across the street from them burned down. The family was okay, but the two little kids were stunned and freezing and barefoot in their jammies on the street. My mom carried them off to her house and wrapped them up in those blankets and made them hot cocoa. Aw! What's more heartwarming than that?