PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

MoonWriter
12-15-2009, 06:24 AM
I ordered two light fixtures online for the master bathroom. One had a small scratch. I contacted the company with a request to swap it out for a new one. This is their response:

Your return has been designated as a Field Scraped Item(s). Please hold on to the item(s) until we have notified you via email that credit has been issued and then destroy/dispose of the item(s). Do not ship the item(s) back. A call tag/prepaid label will not be issued.

I then received an email saying they credited my card and, if I wanted another one, I had to reorder.

Assuming you could live with the small scratch, would you destroy/dispose of the light fixture or keep it and not bother reordering another one?

BradyH1861
12-15-2009, 06:25 AM
I could live with the scratch. If it works fine, I'd keep it.

Shadow_Ferret
12-15-2009, 06:28 AM
I guess it depends on where the scratch is and if it's noticeable.

But me being cheap, I'd keep it.

MoonWriter
12-15-2009, 06:35 AM
I could live with the scratch. If it works fine, I'd keep it.

Works fine.

I guess it depends on where the scratch is and if it's noticeable.

But me being cheap, I'd keep it.

It's a very small scratch, but if you're looking for it, you can see it. It's on the bracket between the third and fourth globe. I'm tempted to keep it, but have a nagging feeling that it would be stealing, since they refunded the money and said to trash it. I'm torn.

BradyH1861
12-15-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm tempted to keep it, but have a nagging feeling that it would be stealing, since they refunded the money and said to trash it. I'm torn.

Look at it this way: They refunded your money because it did not arrive in the condition that you expected to be in (ie: it was scratched).

I can see your point though. If it were me, I probably would have kept it and not gotten a refund. If you were to see some of my home furnishings, you'd see that a scratch is the least of my problems!

Death Wizard
12-15-2009, 06:38 AM
This falls under the "good things actually happen every once in while" category. I'd definitely keep it!

Besides, you can justify not trashing it by viewing it as an environmental issue. :)

Silver King
12-15-2009, 06:47 AM
In your case, it's easier and more cost effective for the company to issue a refund rather than to pay to have the item returned.

I wouldn't feel bad about that company's policy, but if it bothers you, use the extra funds as a way to brighten someone else's life who least expects a good turn.

MoonWriter
12-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Look at it this way: They refunded your money because it did not arrive in the condition that you expected to be in (ie: it was scratched). True, but they added that condition.

I can see your point though. If it were me, I probably would have kept it and not gotten a refund. If you were to see some of my home furnishings, you'd see that a scratch is the least of my problems!

This falls under the "good things actually happen every once in while" category. I'd definitely keep it!

Besides, you can justify not trashing it by viewing it as an environmental issue. :)

I like the way you think! :)

MoonWriter
12-15-2009, 06:57 AM
In your case, it's easier and more cost effective for the company to issue a refund rather than to pay to have the item returned.

I wouldn't feel bad about that company's policy, but if it bothers you, use the extra funds as a way to brighten someone else's life who least expects a good turn.

The fixture was $256.00 so I'm sure it would have been cheaper to return it, but with a scratch, they probably couldn't resell it.

I like your idea about using the funds to brighten someone else's life. New Oleans has more than its share of those still hurting from Katrina. Thanks.