One-Year Deadline w/ Money

FWKelvin

Registered
Reaction score
You’ve been given a one-year deadline and a $1 million signing bonus to write a 300-page novel. It’s the day before the deadline and you’ve written one page. What are you going to tell your editor? Write an elaborate excuse that’s so clever and believable that it becomes the plot of your novel.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Finding the Silence Within

Mr. Editor,

I have written a novel of such groundbreaking proportions that it will redefine what is called a novel. The plot centres around this monk named HarJay who took a vow of silence to help him broaden his mind and be closer to the spiritual world. I have enclosed the entire manuscript as requested before the deadline.
If you notice, the first page serves as the introduction to this character before he takes his vow. The 299 pages that follows are blank to represent this character's vow and serves as symbolism to the reader to try to find within themselves what he is thinking about. This will cause a profound connection between HarJay and the reader on a spiritual plane. Yet it goes beyond and it opens up the reader to get in touch with their own spirit.
The blank pages serve as a dual purpose. As the reader pages through the emptiness, they may have an overwhelming urge to become a part of the story and write themselves in. That is why I would suggest including a pen with each book for the reader to use as he or she see fit.
The ending becomes satisfying for 100% of the world (something no other novel can claim) as it is up to the reader what happens to HarJay and, ultimately, themselves after they finish.
I believe this book has all the makings of a best seller. I have decided to call my experiment "Finding the Silence Within". What do you think?
If you feel that I need to rework it a bit, that would be fine but I would need more time considering the thought put into it up to this point. I would appreciate your feedback on this matter. Hope to here from you soon.

Sincerely,

The Maddwriter

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Maddwriter said:
If you notice, the first page serves as the introduction to this character before he takes his vow. The 299 pages that follows are blank to represent this character's vow and serves as symbolism to the reader to try to find within themselves what he is thinking about. This will cause a profound connection between HarJay and the reader on a spiritual plane. Yet it goes beyond and it opens up the reader to get in touch with their own spirit.
The blank pages serve as a dual purpose. As the reader pages through the emptiness, they may have an overwhelming urge to become a part of the story and write themselves in. That is why I would suggest including a pen with each book for the reader to use as he or she see fit.

You.

Totally.

Rock.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Actually, I thought it was such a ridiculous idea when I wrote it that I didn't take it seriously. But now that I reread it, I may just do that.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I hate to break the news, but such a book has actually been written. Only the final title was "Everything Men Know About Women." Really.

You’ve been given a one-year deadline and a $1 million signing bonus to write a 300-page novel. It’s the day before the deadline and you’ve written one page. What are you going to tell your editor? Write an elaborate excuse that’s so clever and believable that it becomes the plot of your novel.

As for me, I'd probably start at six-thirty or so in the morning of D-Day minus one and have it in (via email) sometime just after midnight of D-Day plus one . That's the way I do all my assignments. (Time allotted includes research.)

Now, all I need is someone to offer me a million bucks for a 300 page novel they want in two days time.

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I saw a simular plot on tv. Seriously! The writer spirals into the depths of despair, loses everything. He faces the editor and cancels the book deal. He then hits the streets, becomes homeless. Ultimately he gets a job at a homeless shelter. Writes a best seller about his experiences as a homeless person.Lemonade from lemons.