Grammar check! (semicolon)

Corinthianblue

Turbofacepalming since 1996
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I know right away when I make a mistake. Let's see if I wrote this well, okay? That semicolon used right?

Sandalius hadn’t lied throughout this whole interview; he believed what he said.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but these two sentences could stand on their own.

I think
Richard

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
From GrammarBook.com

Rule 1. Use a semicolon in place of a period to separate two sentences where the conjunction has been left out.
Examples: Call me tomorrow; I will give you my answer then.
I have paid my dues; therefore, I expect all the privileges listed in the contract.

Rule 2. It is preferable to use a semicolon before introductory words such as namely, however, therefore, that is, i.e., for example, e.g., or for instance when they introduce a complete sentence. It is also preferable to use a comma after the introductory word.
Examples: You will want to bring many backpacking items; for example, sleeping bags, pans, and warm clothing will make the trip better.
As we discussed, you will bring two items; i.e., a sleeping bag and a tent are not optional.

Rule 3. Use either a semicolon or a comma before introductory words such as namely, however, therefore, that is, i.e., for example, e.g., or for instance when they introduce a list following a complete sentence. Use a comma after the introductory word.
Examples: You will want to bring many backpacking items; for example, sleeping bags, pans, and warm clothing.
You will want to bring many backpacking items, for example, sleeping bags, pans, and warm clothing.

Rule 4. Use the semicolon to separate units of a series when one or more of the units contain commas.
Example: This conference has people who have come from Boise, Idaho; Los Angeles, California; and Nashville, Tennessee.

Rule 5. Use the semicolon between two sentences joined by a coordinating conjunction when one or more commas appear in the first sentence.
Examples: When I finish here, I will be glad to help you; and that is a promise I will keep.
If she can, she will attempt that feat; and if her husband is able, he will be there to see her.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see the semicolon coming back as viable punctuation. Because some use it incorrectly and others caution to avoid its overuse, it has been much underused.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's just me, but I hate the semicolon. I like to see sentences that are either joind by a conjuction that's appropriate and makes sense or make it two distinct, complete and understandable sentences.

Just my own peculiarity.
Richard

Corinthianblue

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, guys. Semicolons always through me until I started seeing them more and more in books I read. I figured wing it and ask these guys. Guess I winged it good :p

Corinthianblue

Registered
Reaction score
Also, with italics. I understand you use italics for words in a foreign language, the names of ships, and books, but would you use the same principle on video games mentioned?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can honestly say that in thirty years of writing fiction, I've never found a reason to use a colon or a semicolon. Both are indications that you've written something that would be better if written a different way.

This is such a case.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I can honestly say that in thirty years of writing fiction, I've never found a reason to use a colon or a semicolon. Both are indications that you've written something that would be better if written a different way.

This is such a case.
Nonsense. The semicolon (and the colon) is a legitimate punctuation mark with an equally legitimate purpose. JamesAR never having found occasion to use it says more about him than it does about the semicolon.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Nonsense. The semicolon (and the colon) is a legitimate punctuation mark with an equally legitimate purpose. JamesAR never having found occasion to use it says more about him than it does about the semicolon.
I'm with James on this. Yes, they are splendid punctuation marks, but not suited to modern fiction (say, since the turn of the 20th Century) -- certainly not the semicolon. Maybe an occasional colon, though (I'll have to be on the lookout for those).

I recently saw a draft of a novel that used semicolons to splice together sentence after sentence. Bad form. That's the temptation with them, IMHO, to splice together what should stand as separate sentences.

My views, FWIW.

--Ken

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are other reasons to read Stephen King's Under the Dome, but expert and effective use of the semicolon throughout is a plus.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with James on this. Yes, they are splendid punctuation marks, but not suited to modern fiction (say, since the turn of the 20th Century) -- certainly not the semicolon. Maybe an occasional colon, though (I'll have to be on the lookout for those).

I recently saw a draft of a novel that used semicolons to splice together sentence after sentence. Bad form. That's the temptation with them, IMHO, to splice together what should stand as separate sentences.

My views, FWIW.

--Ken
Must be a matter of taste. I've never been bothered by the proper and sparing use of the semicolon in any fiction I've read. Modern or otherwise. I don't understand what's supposed be "dated" about the semicolon.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
There are other reasons to read Stephen King's Under the Dome, but expert and effective use of the semicolon throughout is a plus.
I haven't read Stephen King in more than a decade. Maybe now's the time to give him another try. :) A writer who embraces the semicolon is a writer after my own heart.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Celebrate different styles

More succinct for semicolon use in U.S. publications than GrammarBook's redundant list:

1. Semicolons separate closely related main clauses in compound sentences where coordinating conjunctions are not employed.

Meteors sparkled across the night; otherwise, cold stars wheeled stately from horizon to horizon.

2. Usually following a colon, semicolons separate items in a series where one or more items require commas.

Only four colors waved from the conference flag staffs: Mexico’s green, white, and red bars formed a field for its national seal; fifty white stars, one for each of the United States, studded a blue quarter panel on red and white stripes; and the Canadian "Maple Leaf" blazed red from a white square bordered left and right in red.

Of course the above examples may be rewritten in several other styles avoiding the colon and semicolon, none of which takes away from the proper use of either.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

Someone else doing something badly isn't a good reason to suggest that no one should ever do it.

If a particular writer overuses or abuses a punctuation mark (or any other element of writing), that's valid criticism of that writer's work. It doesn't mean that a skillful writer who knows how to use the punctuation mark or other element effectively shouldn't do so.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . It doesn't mean that a skillful writer who knows how to use the punctuation mark or other element effectively shouldn't do so.
True, but I still have not seen (or at least do not recall any) semicolons in fiction I have read outside of, say, Dickens. Maybe literary fiction uses them. Dunno. They are not illegal, immoral,or fattening, and are perfectly legitimate punctuation -- but just don't seem to serve a purpose in any fiction I read that could not be better met by a period or maybe a dash.

My point about the other author was that it is a slippery slope to overuse. I would have advised (did advise, come to think of it) that author to avoid semicolons entirely, in light of their gross overuse and misuse in the manuscript.

If you make 'em work, more power to you.

--Ken