Why aren't there many actors that also write?

Idkwiaowiw

I'm late for life! Shoot.
Registered
Reaction score
Is the reason there are limited amount of actors that write because you have to possess a different mind frame to be each of the professions? Is acting more of a social thing, something done to get attention, while writing is more observing, placing others in the spotlight instead of yourself. I find this interesting because I've always seen actors and writers as collaboraters, both trying to intimidate life. Am I just totally wrong?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Personally, I think writing is a completely different skill than acting. I'm a good writer, but I'm not a very good actor. I like words; I hate being in front of a crowd.

There are some actors who are pretty good screenwriters (Matt Damon & Ben Affleck, for example with Good Will Hunting), but for the most part Actors Act and Screenwriters Write.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
William Shatner wrote a lot of Star Trek books. I haven't read any of them so I couldn't tell you if they're any good, but hypothetically I think it would make sense for an actor, such as the Shat, to write books based off a franchise he stars in. Obviously, he'd understand it pretty well.

But straight-up fiction from actors? I can't think of any instances right now.

Deleted member 42

William Shatner wrote a lot of Star Trek books. I haven't read any of them so I couldn't tell you if they're any good, but hypothetically I think it would make sense for an actor, such as the Shat, to write books based off a franchise he stars in. .

Well, no, actually, he didn't. He makes no bones about the Trek novels, or his Tek War novels being written by a professional and well-known SF writer.

I'm not going to out the ghost writer since I don't know how generally known it is.

Wil Wheaton writes non-fic and is a very good technical writer. Patrick Stewart has written some top-notch scholarly esss aays in academic publications. So has Ian McKellan.

There are AW members who published fiction and are professional actors.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
It really is amazing how few actors have writing careers as well.

Unless you count John Cleese, Jeff Daniels, Julian Fellowes, Stephen Fry, John Huston, Orlando Jones, Groucho Marx, Roman Polanski, Quentin Tarantino, Peter Ustinov...

ETA: Orson Welles. Writer / director of the greatest film ever made, and - somehow - I forgot to name him as well.

Last edited:

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Because writing, like acting, is hard work. But writing, unlike acting, earns you peanuts.

Idkwiaowiw

I'm late for life! Shoot.
Registered
Reaction score
It really is amazing how few actors have writing careers as well.

Unless you count John Cleese, Jeff Daniels, Julian Fellowes, Stephen Fry, John Huston, Orlando Jones, Groucho Marx, Roman Polanski, Quentin Tarantino, Peter Ustinov...

ETA: Orson Welles. Writer / director of the greatest film ever made, and - somehow - I forgot to name him as well.

Ah-ha! This was what I was hoping for. Thank you very much.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Carrie Fisher has had a number of best-selling books. I really wouldn't expect proportionally more actors to be decent writers than doctors or lawyers or shoemakers, and famous actors are probably just not motivated to spend their time writing.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think the reason that more actors aren't writers has more to do with time than with talent--there are only so many hours in the day, and only so many days in a year.

Still, as has been pointed out above, there are many who do manage (somehow) to do both, to the benefit of all.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
A lot more actors write or co-write screenplays for films or television shows than we're aware of, I think.

Hugh Laurie's written at least one novel.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I think the hypothesis put forth in the title of this thread is patently false.

First of all, the reason why most actors aren't (insert *any* other job here) is because they're actors, and believe or not, acting isn't just partying in hollywood and scoring hookers at discount rates.

Most actors can expect to be on film site for 3-4 months, working 12 hour days, and then spend another month or more on the road, promoting the movie. Do two of those a year, or any bigger film with a massive production schedule, and you've just committed most of your waking hours to your craft.

Despite this, many actors *do* write, and get published, or sell their screenplays, in a much higher percentage than the general population, too, I'd warrant.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sam Shepherd is another actor/writer

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I will answer your question (the title question of thise thread) by asking my own:

Why aren't there many writers who draw their own illustrations?

I think most writers would LOVE to be able to draw well enough to illustrate their own novels, or do the graphics for their own comic books, or story board their own movie scripts.

But if ya' ain't got it, ya' ain't got it.

As a screenwriter, I have had limited contact with what are called "vanity production companies." Those are Hollywood prodcos owned by a big name actor, and the all-day, all-night job of the creative executives who work at "vanity prodcos" is to find scripts best suited for the actor who owns the joint. So the actor in question is shelling out literally millions of dollars a year --from his/her own pocket-- in salary and overhead in the desperate quest to find new scripts geared specifically for him/her. Vanity companies are pretty common. Off the top of my head, the following actors all have one:

George Clooney -- Section 8 Films
Sandra Bullock
Catherine Zeta Jones
Jim Carrey -- JC23
and (I submitted a script to the following company, and even though they passed, I got excellent feedback on why they passed)
Eriq LaSalle -- Humble Journey Films

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Separate actors who sell books because they're celebrities from those who sell books because they're writers. Then consider the question again. The former can sell books based upon their celebrity, the latter upon ability.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
"As a comedian I always get in these situations where I'm auditioning for movies or sitcoms. As a comedian, they want you do other things besides comedy. 'OK, you're a comedian, can you write? Write us a script. Act. Act in this sitcom.' They want you do shit that's related to comedy, but it's not comedy, it's not fair. It's as though I was a cook, I worked my ass off to become a really good cook, and they say 'OK, you're a good cook. But can you farm?'" --Mitch Hedberg