Roast Potatoes Emergency!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
This should probably go in food but as I'm leaving in about an hour, I thought I could get quicker answers here. I'm making roast potatoes to take to a potluck dinner tonight. The recipe I make calls for them to roast in a metal pan in olive oil. What's the best way to transport them to ensure they're still yummy on the other side?

1. Roast them partway, take them over in the original pans and finish the roasting in the host's oven.

2. Roast them until they're done and transfer them to a ceramic casserole for transport so they don't get soggy. Keep them warm in host's oven.

3. Taking roast potatoes to a potluck is a stupid idea.

4. Some other idea or combination I haven't mentioned (or thought of).

Help.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Parboil them, drain.
Ask host if room in oven.
Heat oil in pan, shake drained potatoes in pan till surface all broken up
Then roast.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
#2 and check with the host re: room at the oven
Okay. The host(ess) said she has room in the oven only after she takes out the roast to rest and finishes heating the appetizers. So it'd probably be better not to count on enough time to finish them. Plus I'm still worried about sogginess.

Thanks for suggestions so far. I'm taking more thoughts over the next half-hour or so. :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could try option #2; then, if needed, reheat them slightly in the host's microwave when you get there. The taste would still be preserved that way, I think.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I'd roast them all the way till they're done, wrap them in paper towels to absorb grease and transport in casserole dish. Reheat breifly in the microwave. I eat leftover roast potaoes all the time, reheated from the night before. They still taste great.

Good luck!

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Parboil them, drain.
Ask host if room in oven.
Heat oil in pan, shake drained potatoes in pan till surface all broken up
Then roast.

Pretty much this.

Parboil them just a bit, roast them, put them in casserole dish(s). Reheat in microwave at party. Potatoes are very resilient.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fact: You can light a cigarette off overcooked sweet potatoes off a BBQ grill.

That is all. Other than I don't believe in EVER nuking any member of the potato family unless forced to reheat them, and then on low power.