Snail Mailing materials

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
(Not sure if this is the right place to post this. . .)

An agent recently requested my partial and wants me to send it via snail mail. This is the first time I've ever had to send one this way, (as opposed to just email.) This agent asked for 50 pages and a synopsis. So, I have three quick questions:

-Do I send a cover/title page for the fifty pages? Or will the title at the top of the first page suffice?
-Do I send a copy of my original query letter?
-When I email agents material, I usually include a brief, personal note, thanking them for their interest in my work etc. Should I include a similar note in this case?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
-Do I send a cover/title page for the fifty pages? Or will the title at the top of the first page suffice?

Yes.

No.

-When I email agents material, I usually include a brief, personal note, thanking them for their interest in my work etc. Should I include a similar note in this case?

Yes.

Best of luck!

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score

An agent recently requested my partial and wants me to send it via snail mail. This is the first time I've ever had to send one this way, (as opposed to just email.) This agent asked for 50 pages and a synopsis. So, I have three quick questions:

-Do I send a cover/title page for the fifty pages? Or will the title at the top of the first page suffice? Yes, but Title should be on top left corner along with lastname on every page. This is in case your papers get accidentally mixed with someone elses.
-Do I send a copy of my original query letter? No, Include a cover letter stating what the package contains and why it is sent (in other words'here is the material you requested')
-When I email agents material, I usually include a brief, personal note, thanking them for their interest in my work etc. Should I include a similar note in this case? See previous answer. You can include if you want, but remember, this is still a business proposition and should still be treated as such.

Thanks!

Richard

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score

-Do I send a cover/title page for the fifty pages? Or will the title at the top of the first page suffice? Title or cover page should be included.

-Do I send a copy of my original query letter? YES! YES! YES! It doesn't cost you anything to include it, and if your agent has my memory, he or she won't remember why he requested it. Also, presuming your query excited the agent the first time, it should continue to do so.

-When I email agents material, I usually include a brief, personal note, thanking them for their interest in my work etc. Should I include a similar note in this case? Yes.

Thanks!

On the envelope, mark "REQUESTED MATERIAL" in big letters.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com

Either/or. When I sent out partials, I sent it out as formatted in Word--the title 1/3 of the way down the first page, the first chapter starting near the bottom of the page. Just make sure your title is there somewhere. :)

I always did, beneath the cover letter. It helps remind the agent just what it is they requested. I know some agents request that you include this.

Yes. A very brief "here is the requested material, as well as the original query letter. Thank you and I look forward to your response," is a good way to go and serves well as a cover letter.

Good luck!