The Princess and the Frog

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
So this movie is getting pretty swell reviews. People are saying it's a great film on par with the likes of Mulan and Hercules, but not quite up to par with films like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King.

Still, it's being received very well, and I'm sure it's going to do just fine at the box office. Let's hope this means more classic Disney 2-D animation is indeed on its way!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I am so glad that they decided to do a cartoon in a "retro" fashion like this. I was just saying a while back how I missed when cartoons were, well, cartoons and not bent on looking so realistic. This realization hit me when I was watching Aladdin on Disney with my kids one night. Made me really miss the "old days" of good old fashioned animation without all the CGI and 3-D stuff.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Most excited to see this (I remember back when I was a kid and the Disney animated feature was what I looked forward to most every year). Will be checking it out Monday!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not knocking Disney or anything but--is it just me or is Tiana just the stereotypical Disney heroine with different coloring? I was looking at a picture of her in black & white and thought I was looking at Cinderella for too long.

Somehow, I find that to be highly disappointing.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited to see it. I actually hadn't heard of the books until one of the girls interviewed E.D. Baker for the OPWFT blog.

There have been some interesting reviews of it.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Not knocking Disney or anything but--is it just me or is Tiana just the stereotypical Disney heroine with different coloring? I was looking at a picture of her in black & white and thought I was looking at Cinderella for too long.

Somehow, I find that to be highly disappointing.

She's wearing a similar dress to Cinderella, but look at her facial features. She has that flatter nose, eyes are shaped differently. She's actually based on the actress who did her voice.

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked Mulan...

But I'm willing to bet this movie does not have her joining the military - random aside, I want my Alanna the Lioness movie NOW - so I'm not sure if I'll like it as much.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked Mulan...

But I'm willing to bet this movie does not have her joining the military - random aside, I want my Alanna the Lioness movie NOW - so I'm not sure if I'll like it as much.
Disney does not promote sexism, so I don't think that would work. The book doesn't promote it either, but it's such a huge factor in the beginning...

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I went to see it with my kids. We loved it. However, there are somethings that kinda made me say, "Oh".

The things I liked were, her friendship with her childhood friend. Her friend was cute and saucy. Also, I liked that she wanted to work hard for her dream to own her own restaurant. She was focused and determined to reach her goal.

Things that I thought was kinda ...blah

like;

- Why was her Prince broke? He was lazy and cut off from his family because of his party like ways.

- Why didn't she get to move into the castle and live Happily ever after with riches and such like the others

With the above questions - I still liked it.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Disney made a few missteps, and a few courageous steps in this movie:
(SPOILERS IN THE COURAGEOUS STEPS SEGMENT)

Missteps:

a) I honest to god wish they'd hired someone other than Randy Newman to write the music. That's why you can't remember any of it. He's a forgettable lyricist.

b) The prince looked exactly like Prince Eric from Little Mermaid... but darker.

Apparently, not dark enough, either. Looking around the blagosphere I see some folks tried to make a stink of him not being black enough.

c) I might be the only person who noticed this, but the only people in the movie with money were white, unless you count the .8 second cameo by Naveen's father.

Courageous steps:

a) Letting the little bug die. I <3 that moment, and cried when he got to be with Evangeline.

b) The villain wasn't scary to me, although his "friends on the other side" were sufficiently spooky for our 5-year-old.

c) Having this princess actually want (as her wish-upon-a-star wish) to own a restaurant and work for a living. Good for Disney, in finally stopping its perpetuation of spoiled rich girls with bad attitudes (talking to you, Miley!).

Overall, the movie is a decent addition to the Disney collection, but in the final analysis it made me want to pop my copy of "The Rescuers" into the DVD player, so I could see more colorful, funny bayou creatures pulling off a harder, more satisfying adventure.