Learned it the Hard Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Some things in life, especially writing, are learned the hard way. There's a few things I learned the hard way and I kick myself to this day for doing it in all ignorance.

Lesson Number One: All publishers are not created equal and simply because they say one thing doesn't make it true.

This lesson was learned from Punish Publish America. I was young, very naive, and I didn't have a clue as to how publishing really worked and didn't even know what questions to ask. Lesson learned and every time I think about trying for a smaller unproven press, that sting of that lesson makes me pull back really fast.

Lesson Number Two: In the script business, a % of nothing is still nothing.

I signed up for this thing where I wrote off someone elses concept and the person who brought us together would sell it. I'd get a whole whopping 35%. Well fast forward 3 years later and it has been nothing but an agony regret filled journey and guess what, still not sold. Now the person "selling" the script is trying to back out of the deal and still retain their percentage. Screw that.

I learned not to work for free. Ever. Even if it's a small up front, it's better than a promised percentage of nothing. It was my first and last. Deferment? It'd better be payable upon completion of this script.

Lesson Number Three: There's no such thing as a guarantee.

What writing lessons have you had to learn the hard way?

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Art is the biggest scam in the world, yet it is. The first artists (Greek) were slaves. The amount of time spent creating is simply not acceptable to those who hold the money strings.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for contributing. There are so many lessons out there, I hope I learn most of them the easy way and that there aren't many more hard lessons out there for me.

Reaction score
Check your ego at the editing-room door.

(It's incredibly liberating to do so).

STKlingaman

Followed the Red Brick Road
Registered
Reaction score
The harder the lesson learned
the more likely you're going
to remember it. Not saying
you're not going to make it again,
just saying you're more likely to
remember it.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
A very hard lesson I learned:

Beta readers and critiquers can take you only so far. You have to learn to self-edit and be ruthless with your own words.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
That editors and publishers don't always agree and a writer can be caught in the middle, without much chance of maintaining grace.

(I'm actually learning that today.)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the less I know.

Always trust my gut.

The real focus of the "how to write" books is to sell "how to write" books.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That writing is a business, and must be treated as such on both sides of the desk.

Reaction score
The more you learn about your own writing, the more you hate it.
That hasn't been the case for me. When I learn new techniques then I see my writing take that next leap and that's like tingly exciting.
Aye. I'm with icerose on this. The more I learn, the more scope for improvement I have. I never want to be as good as I want to be. If that makes sense. Probably not.

What I mean is, if my writing's perfect, where do I go from there?
That writing is a business, and must be treated as such on both sides of the desk.
I disagree. Writing is an art but publishing is a business.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That hasn't been the case for me. When I learn new techniques then I see my writing take that next leap and that's like tingly exciting.

I agree with you. Anyway, I haven't learned any particularly hard lessons yet, but I did learn I use the word "that" way too much! And cutting it out of the text has been hard. ;)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
That I've been writing with an eye on publication for over 10 years...and for the first five of those years, I was nowhere near good enough for publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.