mother dearest at it again....

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Since my last trip to the hospital my mother has sprouted horns again. She was very helpful the day the doctor sent me by ambulance to the hospital--offering to bring stuff to the hospital. We even, in a last ditch sort of move, let her/my grandmother stay with the kids at the house for a couple of hours while we sorted out other arrangements.

The days that followed, though, not so nice. She called the hospital screaming at me. Her favorite thing to do at the moment is to tell me that it's my fault I'm sick. Then, she's angry because she says my being sick has placed a strain on her.

Now, mind you, she helped one day. The rest, we picked up and sorted out for ourselves. But somehow, even though she's been out at her house doing nothing ever since, I've strained her "to the breaking point".

The first time she called screaming, I ultimately hung up. I kind of had to, the monitors were going off. The second time, I also ended up hanging up, but not before I said "look, I'm in the hospital, hooked to gadgets and on a heart monitor--among other things--I really can't be doing this right now".

She's got a bit of a cold. So, she says to me, "I'm sick too! Doesn't that matter to you or anyone? Where's the consideration for me?"

Then she called my husband and went into a nonsensical rage on him and called my aunt (who is out of town) and screamed at her, too. Although, I'm not sure why because my aunt hasn't been around for a long time and has nothing to do with anything that's going on at all.

Fastforward to last night and she calls to scream at me again. This time, she's "had it out" with my grandmother (who has alzheimer's) and her brother that stopped by. She called me from a pay phone and told me she's sick of everyone--including me. And she hates everyone--including me. Then, she hung up on me.

Then, about a half hour later she starts calling my home and cell and home and cell until I pick up...crying about how cruel the world is to her and how I'm the only person she can talk to and count on as a witness to her suffering.

By this point, I'd had enough. I simply said, "Why are you calling me after you told me you are sick of me and hate me? I've told you: I can't be involved in your pointless drama and tantrums right now. I'm sick and the stress makes everything worse."

Then she just started screaming and crying and raging to the point I couldn't understand what she was saying other than the occasional "no one cares how sick I am...or about MY feelings"...

And she hung up on me.

It isn't true that I don't care. I'm just tired of the abuse.

I thought she was all right, because I thought she was on medication again. I guess she's not. :Shrug:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Is she actually taking the medication? If she is, I'd say the meds need to be reevaluated.

No matter what is going on with her right now, I am so glad you are trying to stay out of it and take care of yourself for once. You cannot deal with her right now, at all. I wouldn't even answer anymore if I were you. The annoyance of the phone ringing won't stick with you like the frustration from answering the call, plus, ringers can be turned off or at least turned down. I know that sounds mean, but I have actually been driven to that with my own mother (who I love very much, but she has some issues that I sometimes just can't handle).

You need to focus on getting and staying healthy, keeping as calm and stable of an environment as possible. Good luck and I hope you get better soon!

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Is she actually taking the medication? If she is, I'd say the meds need to be reevaluated.

No matter what is going on with her right now, I am so glad you are trying to stay out of it and take care of yourself for once. You cannot deal with her right now, at all. I wouldn't even answer anymore if I were you. The annoyance of the phone ringing won't stick with you like the frustration from answering the call, plus, ringers can be turned off or at least turned down. I know that sounds mean, but I have actually been driven to that with my own mother (who I love very much, but she has some issues that I sometimes just can't handle).

You need to focus on getting and staying healthy, keeping as calm and stable of an environment as possible. Good luck and I hope you get better soon!

I may have to put her number back on "block". Otherwise she'll literally call 20+ times in a row and fill my voicemail.

I don't think she's really taking anything. This is her au naturale self so far as I've ever known her.

Although, my aunt called the other day and asked "is it just me or is she getting worse?" and I had to say, "no, it's not just you"...

I can't take it right now. Really, I can't on a "good" day, either. But, not now for sure because I'm worried about my health and the baby's. And I'm not going to throw myself back into a hospital stay just because my mom wants to tantrum.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you get better soon, too!

I have someone very close to me whom I love dearly and often enjoy who acts this way too often. I can't do it. I won't do it. I don't speak to her very much now. It's sad, but what can you do? It's impossible to keep up with that, I think.

Are the meds for bipolar, btw? I feel kind of guilty because 95% of it is bad bipolar raging, but after a while that's not my problem. She has ten billion reasons why she won't take her meds or go to therapy. It's very sad, but I've done my part and I'm there in a heartbeat if she can treat folks better!

Good Luck!

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you get better soon, too!

I have someone very close to me whom I love dearly and often enjoy who acts this way too often. I can't do it. I won't do it. I don't speak to her very much now. It's sad, but what can you do? It's impossible to keep up with that, I think.

Are the meds for bipolar, btw? I feel kind of guilty because 95% of it is bad bipolar raging, but after a while that's not my problem. She has ten billion reasons why she won't take her meds or go to therapy. It's very sad, but I've done my part and I'm there in a heartbeat if she can treat folks better!

Good Luck!

She's never taken anything but antidepressants. The only thing she'll admit to is "depression" but she always claims the "depression" is circumstantial. When I was a kid, it was the end of her marriage and then it was all caused by "the change of life"/hormones and then it was "work related stress" and then it was my grandfather's condition and now it is my grandmother's condition...

The family rumor is that she has bipolar disorder (or similar) that was diagnosed by a military doctor "back in the day" but my grandparents opted to keep it all a secret--even from her.

I'd bet money on either borderline personality disorder or bipolar...personally. But without her ever going to a doctor and honestly seeking treatment for what is really wrong...I'll never know for sure.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take care of yourself and the baby, Sweet Pea...

...life is too precious to waste on toxic people - even if it IS your own Mother, ya know. :Shrug:

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Take care of yourself and the baby, Sweet Pea...

...life is too precious to waste on toxic people - even if it IS your own Mother, ya know. :Shrug:

Gah...yeah, ain't that the truth?

Looks like I'll be blocking her calls and having a few months of silence again. At least, until she starts to behave sanely again...for a brief period of time...then I'll probably having dealings with her again until the next major break from reality.

Untreated mental illness is a b*tch.

It's just sad I won't be seeing my grandmother over the holidays. This may well be her last Christmas--or at least, the last Christmas where she'll vaguely remember who I am.

I just hope she doesn't die a horrible death. My mom leaves her alone and goes out to run errands...when she knows damn well she gets disoriented and could wander off.

I've tried APS, the police, and family intervention. I've also talked w/ the people at the Alzheimer's Association. No luck. So I just sit back and wait for the tragedy to unfold the way it will.