PDA

View Full Version : Posting sample pages into email

brinkett
07-28-2005, 05:19 PM
When you post sample pages into an email, do you retain the font (and double space), or do you single space and perhaps not use courier?

azbikergirl
07-28-2005, 06:03 PM
I take into consideration the possibility that the recipient has his email software set to convert all emails to plain text, rather than retain HTML formatting. I'll format the sample, single spaced, in a plain text editor first, no indents for new paragraphs, but I do add a blank line between paragraphs. If something must be italicized, for instance, I type it _like this_ in the email. I do set the font to Courier on my end, just in case the recipient IS reading HTML. Then I email it to myself to make sure it doesn't look horrible, and make any adjustments before sending it to its final destination.

brinkett
07-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Then I email it to myself to make sure it doesn't look horrible, and make any adjustments before sending it to its final destination.
Thanks. And emailing it to myself first is a good idea.

PattiTheWicked
07-28-2005, 09:52 PM
When you post sample pages into an email, do you retain the font (and double space), or do you single space and perhaps not use courier?

One thing I like to do is when I send out a query letter, I ask at the end, "May I send you some sample chapters as an MS Word document?" That way, it lets the agent know how I'll be sending stuff, and if they want me to c&p it instead, they can let me know. Every one I've asked has replied that an MS Word attachment is fine, as long as they know its coming.

brinkett
07-28-2005, 10:22 PM
One thing I like to do is when I send out a query letter, I ask at the end, "May I send you some sample chapters as an MS Word document?"

That's a good tip.

However, some guidelines state that you can paste the first few pages of your manuscript in with your query, so in that case, you need to paste it in the email and that's what I was wondering about.

While on the subject, I read an interview with an agent who said that when querying by email, you should paste in the first 3-5 pages whether the guidelines say you can or not. If the agent likes your query, they won't throw it out because 3-5 pages are at the end and it might lead right to a request for the full. If not, no harm done by pasting in 3-5 pages. What do y'all think? Good or bad idea?

PattiTheWicked
07-29-2005, 05:56 PM
That's a good tip.

However, some guidelines state that you can paste the first few pages of your manuscript in with your query, so in that case, you need to paste it in the email and that's what I was wondering about.

Ah, okay, I misunderstood what you were asking.

While on the subject, I read an interview with an agent who said that when querying by email, you should paste in the first 3-5 pages whether the guidelines say you can or not. If the agent likes your query, they won't throw it out because 3-5 pages are at the end and it might lead right to a request for the full. If not, no harm done by pasting in 3-5 pages. What do y'all think? Good or bad idea?

My personal opinion is that it's a bad idea, because it shows that you're either incapable of following basic directions or you have a complete disregard for them. Either way, it doesn't look good. I think you should follow the individual agent's guidelines -- if they say to send a letter only and no pages, then do that. If they say it's okay to stick a few pages in there, then do so.

Really, a query letter should be enough to tell an agent whether they want to see more of your work or not. I look at it this way -- if I can write a 95,000 word novel, I can certainly put together a decent one-page letter. At least, I *hope* I can :)