Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I have a number of stories that are just too short to be made into novels, and which are too long to make into short stories. And to be honest, I suck at writing short fiction. But I could turn quite a lot of ideas into good novellas.

There are no print markets for novellas, unless you go for anthologies, and from what I've seen a lot of those are unpaid, so please, bear with my on my ignorance as I post these questions to you:

1) Are e-books agented?
2) Are there publishers, regular publishers, of e-books?
3) If yes, do these publishers work according to the standard publishing model?
4) If yes to 2) but no to 3) - how does their model work?
5) If yes to 2) - is there a reputable directory of those publishers?

I think that's good enough to start with. Again, apologies for these maybe ignorant questions. :D

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Are E-books agented- it depends, if you have a agent and they sell your book, it can also be available as an E-book. If you sign with a publisher that only puts out E-books- generally you do not need an agent.

Are there regular publishers of E-books- define regular. Not being snarky, just not sure what you mean. Also not sure what you mean by standard publishing mode.

I have an E-book published- my publisher is legit, I even get paid and all that jazz :)

Predetors and editors is your best bet for a directory of agents and publishers who are both recomended or not-

Dee Carney

Bringing sexy back
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deecarney.com
1) Are e-books agented?

Granted, the following is based on my experience with romance publishers.

1. I don't know of a single epublisher that requires an agent. So no, no agent needed.
2. Are there publishers who specialize in *only* epublishing? Absolutely. I have never tried for a NY contract and greatly enjoy the flexibility epublishing provides. This is not just for you, but anyone considering epublishing: please do not assume epublishers don't have the same rigorous requirements of NY. The good ones typically have a <5% acceptance rate.
3. I'm not sure what you consider standard publishing model. My epublishers ask for digital rights; a few of them, do take print rights (but as with anything in a contract, that's negotiable). Epubs typically don't pay advances, but do pay either monthly or quarterly. Mine have one royalty rate for direct sales and another rate for third-party sales. Some epubs offer to put your book in print if it meets certain criteria.
4. (See above.)
5. Predators and editors, as stated, is a great place to look. Also, go to the publisher's site yourself. Look at their covers (would you buy one based on what they showcase?); read the excerpts (are there errors?). When you've narrowed down publishers, buy one or two of their books and read it for yourself. Is it good quality or is it crap? Additionally, the forums here at AW will often have info on a particular epublisher.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks to both of you. I'm just a bit bewildered, and try to compare it to what I know of the big print publishers, and to work out how I should approach it. With "traditional publishing" I mean just that: a quality assurance in the form of editors, vetting, advance payments, that kind of thing.

Reaction score
When it comes to editors, like print publishers, it depends on who you go with but there are plenty out there who are conscientious. Vetting? Oh sure. Advances? Depends on the publisher again, but most in my experience are royalties-only. There are a few who pay advances though.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm going to polish a couple of things I've got and try that Lyrical. I hear pretty good things about it, and B&BC seems positive too. It's not the biggest publisher, i understand. But... *knock wood*

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
1) Are e-books agented?
Usually not required.

Check out the publishers on Fictionwise. You can be assured that all of them follow a standard model or they wouldn't be in business long enough to make the grade. You should choose from these publishers unless you are wanting to get in on some start-up's ground floor.

There is nothing special about their model - a good e-publisher runs like their larger cousins except that their staff can be spread literally around the world. Margins are slim due to an as-yet limited distribution model, and most good publishers will also offer print copies - they too must be ordered on line. You won't be getting rich, but you will (if you are good enough) be published. The rejection rate among reputable e-publishers is about the same as anywhere else.

Oh, and a final word. You never pay a dime with a proper publisher. Ever.

Kerry

Status
Not open for further replies.