Christian Publishers Hesitate-Secular World Grabs the Opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Just thought I'd pass on this info. Cecil "Cec" Murphey who ghost wrote 90 Minutes in Heaven for Don Piper just dropped me an email. Although Evangelical Christian publishers tend to be cautious about near-death experiences and heavenly visitations books the secular word has apparently taken a serious liking to this book. The book's total sales recently surpassed 175,000 at the 11-month mark and it recently hit the top 10 inspirational books list at Wal-Mart. This is not a sensationalized account that goes off the track scriptural. The book is published by Revell (an imprint of Baker) and they are a fairly conservative publisher. First and foremost they tested the words to make sure nothing contradicted or added to scripture -- so this is both sound writing and Biblically on the mark.

I was wondering what you all thought of this whole thing -- Christian publishers hesitating to go where the secular world dares to dance?

BTW, Cec will be teaching a one-man writers conference my NJCWG in Ringwood, NJ on May 13, 2006. I've been privileged to teach at conferences with him and he's both an amazing teacher and inspiring speaker. If you live in or around New Jersey you might want to set that date aside.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I think it's great. RiverOak took a big-gulp chance on my Joe Box Mysteries, as they definitely aren't your granny's CBA novels. Thankfully it paid off for them (and me). Kicking and screaming, the CBA is being brought into the 21st century. High time, too.

And isn't Cec a neat guy? I met him through Wayne Holmes (Heart of a Father, published through Bethany House, as well as some others; great books, great writer). I had a chance to hang with Cec at Glorieta a couple of years ago. As busy as he is, I doubt he remembers me, but if he does, tell him John Robinson says hi.

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
Gravity said:
Kicking and screaming, the CBA is being brought into the 21st century. High time, too.

I totally agree with you. And congratulations on being published!

As for Cecil, I am attending one of his workshops here in Virginia this November. I have been told it will be well worth my time and money. I'm looking forward to it.

Cheryll

Last edited:

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Cec in VA

Cheryll said:
As for Cecil, I am attending one of his workshops here in Virginia this November. I have been told it will be well worth my time and money. I'm looking forward to it.
Is that the mentorship workshop that Yvonne is sponsoring? (Tell Cec that Louise says "hi.")

I guarantee you won't be disappointed by his teaching. That man is a bundle of energy and can give out more in ten minutes than most instructors offer in a full day of sessions.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
i agree.

i think i'll need a secular publisher for my novel, or i might just try that Riveroak of gravities. there's no way on God's green earth a christian publisher will touch mine, that i know already. my novel is very gritty and has violence, but also has a good Christian message. from what i've seen with christian publishers, they want lollipops and daisies, which i don't offer. i'm trusting God that someone will pluck my baby.

kim

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Dancre...but that's just it. RiverOak IS a Christian publisher (a division of an oldie and a biggie, David C. Cook, where my royalties originate). I guess I wasn't clear. Because RiverOak is a CBA publisher, it just made it that much more of a "God thing" that they took a chance on my work. Lord knows, I was turned down by every other CBA house , for the reasons I mentioned. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think the weathervane of CBA is in the process of shifting, and I think that's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.