PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd share this interesting rejection

Topaz044
12-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Got a rejection in the mail today. Wasn't crazy about the story to begin with, but I guess someone was getting tired of a typical rejection letter lol.

Regarding ****,

In slush, where all hopes are sown,
one phrase can make us all groan—
the frustrating plight
of "not enough right"
compels us to send this work home.

bclement412
12-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Wow. An agent actually sent you that? I guess it's a breath of fresh air from the typical form Rs...

DWSTXS
12-14-2009, 12:07 AM
and you should reply with:

The document arrived,
with your poetry contrived,
and I thought, perchance,
to ask you for one more chance

Toothpaste
12-14-2009, 12:24 AM
I'd like to point out that "home" does not rhyme with "groan" or "sown". And the last line has one too many beats.

Personally I'd reject this rejection :) .

YAwriter72
12-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd like to point out that "home" does not rhyme with "groan" or "sown". And the last line has one too many beats.

:roll:

Wayne K
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
TP has a point. Do a line by line, and send it back.

YAwriter72
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes!

Dear agent,

I received your rejection today, and unfortunately, while the premise was good, I just didn't connect with it the way I'd hoped. The subject matter sounded intriguing, but upon further review, I noticed that your beats were off. While some writers can work with that sort of thing, I just don't have the time to pursue an agent who needs that kind of hand holding.

I wish you all the luck, but please don't send any more rejections to this writer.

Sincerely,

Most awesome author

Corinthianblue
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes!

Dear agent,

I received your rejection today, and unfortunately, while the premise was good, I just didn't connect with it the way I'd hoped. The subject matter sounded intriguing, but upon further review, I noticed that your beats were off. While some writers can work with that sort of thing, I just don't have the time to pursue an agent who needs that kind of hand holding.

I wish you all the luck, but please don't send any more rejections to this writer.

Sincerely,

Most awesome author

Lol I'm proud of you.

Jamesaritchie
12-14-2009, 09:10 PM

Axtually, it does rhyme in a poetic sense, which tells me this agent knows something about real poetry. And one too many beats is also usually intentional. But in this case, the beat is fine because it's not about beats, but about feet.

Toothpaste
12-14-2009, 09:36 PM
What exactly do you mean by "poetic sense" James? There are some rhymes out there that might be spelled different but pronounced the same due to an accent or dialect, possibly that's what you mean? And there are visual rhymes, where two words look like they would rhyme but in pronouncing them they don't. But in what world does Home and Groan rhyme? They ALMOST rhyme. But they don't actually. I hardly think either this rejection was given that much thought that they considered they were doing some clever play on rhymes by mismatching them here. Come on.

And fine, the feet are off too. I know a little bit about poetry myself sir. Would you like me to dissect it further?

The last line is iambic with four feet, whereas the first two have two feet that are iambic followed by an anapestic foot. Now as we all know this is meant to be a limerick and a limerick is meant to have three lines that match each other in feet, and two that match each other as well. Clearly the first two lines do not match with the third. We also know that limericks are written with anapestic feet which means clearly (considering the introduction of iambs into the mix, and the last line especially) yet another error was made.

All that aside, I hardly think much thought was given to this poem, that someone just kind of rushed it off for fun, realised is sounded pretty right, and decided to use it as a rejection. But James, my dear sir, I hardly think this is a reflection of someone who really knows something about "real" poetry. Not saying this agent doesn't know anything about poetry, just that he/she did not spend that much time composing this nor really cared about creating a work of poetic genius. Sometimes a crappy little poem is just a crappy little poem.

AryaT92
12-14-2009, 10:37 PM
This actually made me laugh out loud, if you do send a response keep us posted!

arkady
12-16-2009, 08:29 PM
It may be a cutesy rejection, but it's still nothing but a rejection. Put it wherever you put the other rejections and move on.

Wayne K
12-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Yes!

Dear agent,

Sincerely,

Most awesome author
:roll:

Topaz044
12-30-2009, 03:17 AM
Eh, I'm not upset by it at all and have submitted elsewhere. Thought it was a little unusual though :D

Izz
12-30-2009, 04:27 AM
Cute.

And groan/home is an example of a pure assonance rhyme, where the vowel sounds are the same but the final consonant sounds are different, though usually similar.

I also think this was a rejection for a short story, not a novel ms, and it may have come from a well known university lit mag located in the central US (though it could be that someone else has started sending out poetic rejections).

blacbird
12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
TP has a point. Do a line by line, and send it back.

I agree. This is actually pretty glib-snotty, exactly the kind of thing most normal agents would HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE to see in a query. Methinks you might ought to be pleased this outfit didn't take your work on.

caw