PDA

View Full Version : GPS as a gift idea - any tips?

Perks
12-11-2009, 05:14 AM
My husband is very difficult to buy for, but I think he might enjoy a GPS for his new car.

Any recommendations?

(Or any other genius ideas?)

Kitty Pryde
12-11-2009, 05:31 AM
Last weekend I was hanging out with another AWer who had a Garmin Nuvi--it was pretty much totally sweet and I coveted it a lot.

Do you ever give gifts to do stuff? My partner and I have been doing that lately (mostly because we can't fit any more stuff into our apartment...). We have done those wine tasting tours (which are actually cheaper than driving to a bunch of wineries, plus you get a DD) in a van before, sea kayaking tours, whale watching trips, trips out of town to go do stuff, tickets to a game. We have lots of fun. Sometime in the future I want to give her a trip to go deep sea fishing. It all depends on his interests of course :)

DragonHeart
12-11-2009, 08:12 AM
I have a Garmin Nuvi too, it's nice. Haven't used it much yet though, but my stepfather relies on one (well two...the other is his backup lol) for his job which involves lots of driving.

The only advice I have is to stay far, far away from the cheap knockoffs. You get what you pay for with these.

not_HarryS
12-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Jamie, my dear, you know I will love anything that you give me.

Perks
12-11-2009, 04:03 PM
No you won't. You'll mask disappointment, return it for the cash, and then mock me to yur friends and family for being clueless.

I know your wicked heart, not HarryS.

Elaine Margarett
12-11-2009, 05:45 PM
We have a Magellan which I love! We recently bought a Garmin for my daughter's birthday.

My recomendation is buy quality and go for the larger screen. Screen size is important for easy viewing.

BTW, I prefer the voice on the Magellan to the Garmin. With Magellan if you go off course or simply decide to take a different route the voice will say..."Calculating route.." With Garmin the voice says, with a bit of attitude..."*Re*-calculating route.."

Bubastes
12-11-2009, 05:50 PM
With Garmin the voice says, with a bit of attitude..."*Re*-calculating route.."

LOL! Yes, I've noticed the "attitude" too in the Garmins. I find it funny. The voice sounds like it's saying, "I gave you directions and you still got lost and now I have to do all this work to re-route you because you were too stupid to follow what I told you in the first place."

Elaine Margarett
12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
LOL! Yes, I've noticed the "attitude" too in the Garmins. I find it funny. The voice sounds like it's saying, "I gave you directions and you still got lost and now I have to do all this work to re-route you because you were too stupid to follow what I told you in the first place."

Exactly. I get enough attitude on a daily basis; don't need it from a frickin' machine. <g>

sunna
12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd definitely recommend a Garmin over a Tomtom. My husband travels constantly, and he's had both, and Garmin wins hands down. He has a Nuvi as well, and swears by it.

Admittedly, I think the Brittish-accent-man-voice he chose sounds like a serial killer, but whatever. :)

Shadow_Ferret
12-11-2009, 06:25 PM
A GPS? I thought we men didn't ask for directions?

James81
12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I have a Garmin and I love it.

cray
12-11-2009, 06:39 PM
why don't you just get him a new soap dispenser (http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/418001535_l.jpg)?

CaroGirl
12-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Well, I'm old fashioned and prefer to use a map. But we did give my FIL a GPS as a gift last Christmas. I'm not entirely sure a year has been long enough for him to figure out how to use it, however.

The only advice I have is to make sure it has Bluetooth technology. That's apparently important.

James81
12-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Garmin may make a great GPS, but they begin their Holiday ads in October. They are on my list of the worst of the pre-Holiday advertising offenders I've ever seen. Because they made to number one on that list, and for that reason alone, I won't buy anything they make.

That's kind of a silly reason to turn down a quality product, though. (No offense meant by that)

There's a lot of companies doing a lot of things out there that we probably don't agree with if we only delved a bit deeper.