Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
So I work with a load of teenage shitweazels, testosterone fueled oiks, fuckwits, teenagers.

Now, they aren't exactly stupid. Okay most of them aren't. But...dear gods, it's hard. I've had to explain who Alice Cooper is ( fine, fine, before their time), who Stephen Hawking is, what a noun is ( that one was hilarious - gave my one of my bosses a 'Janet sees the ball. The ball is red' lesson in front of a dozen giggling customers), what religions there are other than Christianity, Islam and Judaism ( but...they're the only religions, aren't they? No dude, they are not.)

Today I had to explain what a bigot was.

Anyway, they're aren't stupid really, but they seem to delight in not using their brains, at all. But I've been working on them. I help one of the lads do the crossword daily ( he was sooo pissed when he timed me three days on the trot and I did it in under two minutes. He has yet to finish it on his own) The discussion of the etymology of the word 'flange' and various other euphemisms was a hoot. Once I'd explained what a euphemism was, obviously.

But, and this is a shock, they've actually started to read books. Not comics either! They've always been 'books are for nerds!' but now... I keep a book on the go in the canteen ( Ian Rankin currently) and I've noticed that mine is no longer the only book mark in it. And, shock upon shock, I found a copy of Pride and Prejudice in there today, with a bookmark halfway through. Not the zombie version either.

Of course none of them will own up to being the nerd who's reading. But I'm converting them, slowly but surely :D One of them even used a word with more than one syllable in it today!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, IdiotsRUs is getting old. Within the month she'll be starting sentences with the phrase in my day...

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yep, IdiotsRUs is getting old. Within the month she'll be starting sentences with the phrase in my day...

When I were a lass, many moons ago...

I'm just dying to know what you do for a job! :D

I work in a builder's trade centre. Which means I get to say 'Whose knob is this?' and 'I've got your nuts' and 'would you like one with a flange?' and my personal fave...'So your screws, is length more important or girth?'

*raises hand*

Oooo! Ooo! Ooo! Oooooooo! I know! I know!

Was it 'douche'?

:D

They haven't met you :D

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Youth is the excuse for this lot...so what's wrong with my 30-something female neighbors who behave in roughly the same fashion?

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
My dad taught high school math for years. One of the seniors signed up for the Navy and wanted help with a sample aptitude test. She knew the job she would get in the Navy was based on the results of this test so she was motivated. She was stumped on this question: "how many 6 inch ribbons can be cut from two yards of ribbon?"

She: "It's asking about inches and yards. How can I do that?"
Dad: "How many inches in a yard?"
She: "I don't know."
Dad: "How many inches in a foot?"
Dad: "How many feet in a yard?"
Dad: "Well, there are 12 inches in a foot and three feet in a yard. Two yards is 72 inches."
She: "That's stupid."

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
My dad taught high school math for years. One of the seniors signed up for the Navy and wanted help with a sample aptitude test. She knew the job she would get in the Navy was based on the results of this test so she was motivated. She was stumped on this question: "how many 6 inch ribbons can be cut from two yards of ribbon?"

She: "It's asking about inches and yards. How can I do that?"
Dad: "How many inches in a yard?"
Dad: "How many inches in a foot?"
Dad: "How many feet in a yard?"
Dad: "Well, there are 12 inches in a foot and three feet in a yard. Two yards is 72 inches."
She: "That's stupid."

So, I take away from this anecdote that she either went on to a lovely career cleaning the head or became an officer (depending on her relatives' connections and whatnot).

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Bad neighborhood?

:D

It's a little slice of suburban "heaven" located in "red state America"...so, in a manner of speaking, yes.

Let's put it this way: Most of the women in my neighborhood consider Sarah Palin a role model and would have a heart attack if their dear little babies were taught evolution.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
So, I take away from this anecdote that she either went on to a lovely career cleaning the head or became an officer (depending on her relatives' connections and whatnot).

Good guess! She told Dad she didn't want to get a job cleaning toilets.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
It's a little slice of suburban "heaven" located in "red state America"...so, in a manner of speaking, yes.

Let's put it this way: Most of the women in my neighborhood consider Sarah Palin a role model and would have a heart attack if their dear little babies were taught evolution.

So, you're here in Dallas?

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
So I work with a load of teenage shitweazels, testosterone fueled oiks, fuckwits, teenagers.

Now, they aren't exactly stupid. Okay most of them aren't. But...dear gods, it's hard. I've had to explain who Alice Cooper is ( fine, fine, before their time), who Stephen Hawking is, what a noun is ( that one was hilarious - gave my one of my bosses a 'Janet sees the ball. The ball is red' lesson in front of a dozen giggling customers), what religions there are other than Christianity, Islam and Judaism ( but...they're the only religions, aren't they? No dude, they are not.)

Anyway, they're aren't stupid really, but they seem to delight in not using their brains, at all. But I've been working on them. I help one of the lads do the crossword daily ( he was sooo pissed when he timed me three days on the trot and I did it in under two minutes. He has yet to finish it on his own) The discussion of the etymology of the word 'flange' and various other euphemisms was a hoot. Once I'd explained what a euphemism was, obviously.

But, and this is a shock, they've actually started to read books. Not comics either! They've always been 'books are for nerds!' but now... I keep a book on the go in the canteen ( Ian Rankin currently) and I've noticed that mine is no longer the only book mark in it. And, shock upon shock, I found a copy of Pride and Prejudice in there today, with a bookmark halfway through. Not the zombie version either.

Of course none of them will own up to being the nerd who's reading. But I'm converting them, slowly but surely :D One of them even used a word with more than one syllable in it today!

well, I for one, am highly impressed with the fact that you're even trying such a foolish thing, with kids nowadays.
I did a complete giveup on them.

All I would do, if I were you, would be to sit around and make fun of them.

My 'giveup' was after I had explained to a teen that no, we have NOT set foot on Mars. Seriously. That was the moon. The kid gave me a blank look and asked, 'You sure about that? Maybe you're getting them mixed up. A planet's a planet, you know?'

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score

FWIW, I don't think much of our youth today reads comic books. With xbox, nintendo, and add Television, comic books even take too long to associate with.

I think its middle aged men keeping comic books afloat...

That said, what's wrong with comics? I like them! Oh shit I'm a middle aged man.. God damnit so much. Ok, I dont buy new comics, just investment grade ones but anyway...

Damnit!

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
So, you're here in Dallas?

No, but there are similarities. I used to live in the Ft. Worth area. I know of what I speak.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I don't think much of our youth today reads comic books. With xbox, nintendo, and add Television, comic books even take too long to associate with.

I think its middle aged men keeping comic books afloat...

That said, what's wrong with comics? I like them! Oh shit I'm a middle aged man.. God damnit so much. Ok, I dont buy new comics, just investment grade ones but anyway...

Damnit!

Graphic novels, man! Graphic novels! They're only comics if you're under 21!

:)

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Finally, some signs of brain activity!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# # #

I also had a conversation with a couple of teens, in which i had to convince them, that it was NOT the Silver War, but, the Civil War. Their followup question being: What is a 'civil' and why would people fight over it?

At that point, I realized that drinking is more fun than explaining.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Yeeeeaaa...thank you IRU. I was beginning to question my sanity for going back to school to get my Masters. But now I remember why I did it! Its because people in MA's are smarter, or at least have a wider knowledge base, and I can hide among them. *hides*

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I read both novels and comics and I consider myself an edumacated person! =O

I teach teenagers as well. Somehow I manage to keep hope in their brains... even when I see them playing with inflated condoms as beach balls.

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
I had one person who did not know what the Holocaust was. She was 18 and pregnant. I feel sorry for her child.