When searching for an agent, are writer's conferences worth the expense?

K.B.R.

Nothing clever to say...
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been covered in another thread, but...

Let's say you're a first-time novelist with a polished manuscript in hand ("polished" meaning you've been working on it for a couple of years and it's been read/critiqued by two very good beta readers), and you're ready to start looking for an agent. In this day and age, what's the better method for success--sending out queries via email and snail mail, or attending writer's conferences where agents will be present?

One of my beta readers (a one-time owner of her own publishing house) suggested attending conferences is the way to go. But I'm really not willing to shell out the money for travel, hotel costs, etc. if my chances are just as good if I send out queries from the comfort of my own home.

Any thoughts?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
E-queries are free.
Snail Mail queries are cheap.
Conferences are expensive and agents are tired/overwhelmed.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I'm a fan of writers conferences and retreats for other reasons- It gets you educated about the business of publishing and gives you an opportunity to network- It also is something to put in that pesky closing paragraph of your query lol!!
But if you have to go into debt to do it then I'd re think-

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to a conference. Agents spend their time there to find clients. Only 300 writers go. This is versus 300+ queries a week.
Yes, your odds are better when you go to a conference. You will learn more about publishing going to a conference. You have a chance to pitch to your dream agent face to face going to a conference.
Now, whether or not you CAN shell out the money is another story. If you can, I wouldn't miss the opportunity.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
I read somewhere that agents at conferences almost always ask for partials to be sent after a pitch sessions. (You don't take you MS with you to hand out) They can't judge a book by a pitch. Does it get your foot in the door when you send it in? I have no idea. Its cheaper to query IMO. Conferences are for the workshops and socializing and schmoozing. :)

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
If you can afford it, it certainly isn't a waste of money. But it isn't necessary either. Most of the authors I know got their agents through the good old fashioned slush pile.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Even tho I'm a fan of conferences and retreats for other reasons I got my agent by querying- she did say tho that seeing I attended conferences and workshops showed I was serious...

Danthia

I met my agent at a writer's conference, though in all honesty, the outcome probably would have been the same if I'd just queried her. But who knows? It did, however, allow me to see her in action when she presented and get a feel for who she was and how she worked, which helped a lot.

If the conference has things you're interested in and you'll enjoy it anyway, it's worth the money (if you can afford it, obviously). If the only reason you're going it to meet agents, it might not be, as it's hard to really meet a lot of them at most conferences.

Ask yourself, Would you go even if you didn't make an agent connection?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There are some agents (I can name one major SF/F agent) who only look at the work of people they have met. Those who query the agency by the 'front door' method get rejected.