PDA

View Full Version : Question about men and their razors

Perks
12-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Somehow this topic has come up three times in the last four days and now I'm curious -

There are quite a few male celebrities who sport perma-stubble. It actually looks as if they shave with a guard on or something to achieve a 5 o'clock shadow, 24 hours a day.

Anyone here do that or know how it's done? Or is it just that these guys are so damned virile that they turn from wiping their freshly-shaved faces and a grunt and a scowl later, there's a quarter inch of hair bristling out of their chins?

Shadow_Ferret
12-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Well, there are trimmers.

DWSTXS
12-09-2009, 04:56 AM
mine gets that way at the 4 day mark. But i get way too many women thinking I'm george clooney, and they start bothering me, so, I shave it. Too much hassle dealing with all those swooning ladies.

LOL

Perks
12-09-2009, 04:56 AM
Right, but do some guys craft stubble like topiary? That's what I want to know.

dclary
12-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Norelco Beard Trimmer -- has various depth settings. You can choose how rugged you want your facial hair.

When I sport a beard, I use that to keep the beard trimmed, and my trusty Mach-3 for the wet work.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-T980-Vacuum-Trimmer/dp/B000FEF1V4

Silver King
12-09-2009, 04:57 AM
That's the way it's done, with a beard trimmer set on the lowest setting.

DWSTXS
12-09-2009, 04:58 AM
i would bet that some do. But they're douche-bags for being so shallow.

Perks
12-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Norelco Beard Trimmer -- has various depth settings. You can choose how rugged you want your facial hair.

When I sport a beard, I use that to keep the beard trimmed, and my trusty Mach-3 for the wet work.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-T980-Vacuum-Trimmer/dp/B000FEF1V4I know how men shave! I've been married for a baker's dozen years - and I've even opened my eyes once or twice.

I think my question must not make any sense.

dclary
12-09-2009, 04:59 AM

Sonny Crockett's gonna kick your ass for that.

Perks
12-09-2009, 05:00 AM

Lol! Are women shallow for plucking their eyebrows?

DWSTXS
12-09-2009, 05:01 AM
no, you question makes sense, and I know that there are trimmers that will allow you to set the settings so that it looks like you have that perma-stubble look all the time.

I don't know any guys who go to all the trouble to do this, but I'm absolutely certain that it's done.

DWSTXS
12-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Sonny Crockett's gonna kick your ass for that.

bring him on! him and his allygator too. I'll whip him and then I'll yank that white jacket off him and wipe my arse with it!

Williebee
12-09-2009, 05:11 AM
A beard trimmer is used to keep the beard in shape, whatever shape/length you want it to be in. So, yeah, that would be how to do it.

Perks
12-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Now with dclary and Mr. Sinclair mocking their manhood, nobody's going to admit to pruning to just-shaved-three-days-ago.

Why, oh why, do I have a want to shave my head now? I want a perma-stubble brainpan.

DWSTXS
12-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Lol! Are women shallow for plucking their eyebrows?

No. Women SHOULD be carefully trimmed. In fact, no hair below the equator is a good rule.

rhymegirl
12-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Or is it just that these guys are so damned virile that they turn from wiping their freshly-shaved faces and a grunt and a scowl later, there's a quarter inch of hair bristling out of their chins?

I think that's it. Kinda like my husband. :)

NeuroFizz
12-09-2009, 08:56 AM
The trimmer is good for keeping the goatee well-shorn. Number four setting for the upper lip and the sonbitch (that little tuft below and centered on lower lip). Number three setting on the rest of the chin. I suspect the number one setting would give that stubble look, but I'd rather lather up and clean the rest with a regular razor. That stubbly look just gives me that "I live in a cardboard box" countenance.

And facial hair is to virility as breast implants are to nursing.

MGraybosch
12-09-2009, 09:01 AM
No. Women SHOULD be carefully trimmed. In fact, no hair below the equator is a good rule.

Neatly trimmed is good enough for me, ladies.

jennontheisland
12-09-2009, 09:07 AM

Keep the armpits hairy. Check.

MGraybosch
12-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Keep the armpits hairy. Check.

Go ahead. I usually don't stick my tongue in there.

BenPanced
12-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I have the ultra-deluxe permastubble look, m'self.

http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/0000sgaz

Silent Rob
12-09-2009, 02:03 PM
I treat it the same way as a field of wheat. Let it grow until luxuriant (roughly two hours), chop a bit off and then set fire to the rest.

It's great for my complexion.

alleycat
12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
It's done with the Hunky Pro Max™ beard trimmer. As seen on TV. You can get one for six easy payments of just $19.95 (plus shipping and handling of $24.95) . . . but if you call in the next hour they will knock one payment off! As your free gift they will also include the Brad Pitt Hunky Pro™ hair styler--A $40 value! The first ten callers will also get the Chuck Norris Super Nose Hair Trimmer™.

Jersey Chick
12-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Does that come with the Ear Hair trimmer as well? Or do you have to buy that bad boy separately??

:D

quickWit
12-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Why, oh why, do I have a want to shave my head now? I want a perma-stubble brainpan.

You should do it, Perks. It's the shizzle.

Perks
12-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Neatly trimmed is good enough for me, ladies.

Lol! It's always a little disturbing to me. There's grooming and then there's simulating prepubescence. Worrisome.

thothguard51
12-09-2009, 06:12 PM
The question is not why the guys have this look, but why women seem to encourage this look. None of the ladies I know like to have their faces or other tender body parts sandpapered into a rash.

How many men here would enjoy viewing a woman in a slinky short dress and yet she is sporting fur leggins? Naturally grown.

Perks
12-09-2009, 06:13 PM
You should do it, Perks. It's the shizzle.You just want everyone to laugh at me, QW. I know your grubby little game.

Still, I've had the longing to shave my head for years. Decades, really. And I don't know what that's all about. If it wouldn't take years to grow it back, I swear I just might.

Perks
12-09-2009, 06:16 PM
The question is not why the guys have this look, but why women seem to encourage this look. None of the ladies I know like to have their faces or other tender body parts sandpapered into a rash.

I've given up hugging my sister-in-law's boyfriend hello or goodbye. The man is a cactus and I can feel his friendly cuddles for about twenty minutes. My poor face!

But, if I'm honest, there are times when it's awfully pretty. I'm sure that's why it's popular.

cray
12-09-2009, 06:17 PM
do it, perks. (shave your head)
you'd be surprised at how liberating it is.

or just burn your bra.
that's what qw did.

Perks
12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah, nothing quite like the smell of burning cotton and plastic. Weirdo.

scarletpeaches
12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I have the ultra-deluxe permastubble look, m'self.

http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/0000sgazUr a priddy laydee.

cray
12-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah, nothing quite like the smell of burning cotton and plastic. Weirdo.

cotton?
i thought they were made out of leather.
or fruit roll ups. :D

quickWit
12-09-2009, 06:26 PM
You just want everyone to laugh at me, QW. I know your grubby little game.

Don't be silly, Perks. We're laughing at you anyway.

quickWit
12-09-2009, 06:27 PM
do it, perks. (shave your head)
you'd be surprised at how liberating it is.

or just burn your bra.
that's what qw did.

Who tole you I burned Perks's'es' bra? I think someone's having a bit of fun with you, hosebag.

BenPanced
12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Men's magazines push this stubbly look yet have advertising for men's depilitories and long articles on "manscaping", chest electrolosys, and the benefits of body waxing.

Perks
12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
... and the benefits of body waxing.It makes them aerodynamic and hydrodynamic, which is convenient for when I push their prissy asses off a cliff.

MattW
12-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I trim my hair with a #1 razor, and my beard with the second lowest setting on my trimmer. Gives me the overall stubble look, but still appears well groomed and intentional. Yet I only need to maintain 1-2 times a week.

Now that it's cooler, I'm growing in my hair and shaving down to a goatee.

rhymegirl
12-09-2009, 09:40 PM
How many men here would enjoy viewing a woman in a slinky short dress and yet she is sporting fur leggins? Naturally grown.

I don't think it's the same thing at all--a man having some facial stubble and a woman having stubbly legs.

Wayne K
12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I shave my tongue.

True story.

Wayne K
12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I expect reps for that.

Perks
I shave my tongue.

True story.

You do not. You shave your palms.

quickWit
I don't think it's the same thing at all--a man having some facial stubble and a woman having stubbly legs.

What has the length of her legs got to do with anything?

Wayne K
12-09-2009, 09:49 PM

http://www.bartcop.com/oscar-winning-legs.jpg

Wayne K
12-09-2009, 09:49 PM
And with that, I'm off to the Bordello.

rhymegirl
12-09-2009, 10:24 PM

You know what I meant, dumbwit. :D

YAwriter72
12-09-2009, 10:30 PM

:roll::ROFL::roll::ROFL:Oh God I can't breathe.

not_HarryS
12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Now with dclary and Mr. Sinclair mocking their manhood, nobody's going to admit to pruning to just-shaved-three-days-ago.

I'll admit that, as a flamingly homosexual man, yes, I do use my trimmer to keep my 5 o'clock shadow in working order.

And my flava' sava'.

And I'll be damned if anyone didn't think I was frickin' pretty.

ETA: Erm... handsome. I meant handsome.