PDA

View Full Version : looking for short stories

caseyrobert
12-09-2009, 03:52 AM
Dailey Swan Publishing, Inc is looking for genre fiction short stories. Mystery/suspense, horror, science-fiction, fantasy, ect.
Beginning in January we plan to publish 1-4 short stories a month on our website for a small renumeration.
At the end of each year we will have our readers vote for the best shorts and they will be published in an anthology. The winning authors will be provided a contract with royalty figures set.
Published short story writers contract is currently being finalized. It should be published on the website in january.
www.daileyswanpublishing.com (http://www.daileyswanpublishing.com)
send submissions to;
casey@daileyswanpublishing.com
please under subject list 'short story submission'

thank you
casey swanson
publisher
daileyswanpublishing, inc

LOG
12-09-2009, 04:47 AM
Troll again, using proper spelling and grammar.

caseyrobert
12-11-2009, 01:06 AM
If I criticized for proper spelling everything I read on line, 90% would be rejected.
However, I am looking for short story authors who would like to be paid for their work.

PS I checked the spelling, only mistake lower case January.

As far as grammer, checked out there pretty well too.

But if your are a short story author, feel free to submit what you've written anyway. I'll try not to be too harsh with your grammer and spelling.

Seaclusion
12-11-2009, 01:11 AM
etcetera is usually abbreviated etc.

Richard

Dungeon Geek
12-11-2009, 02:32 AM
I don't care about your online grammar, Casey, as long as I can make out what you have to say without too much trouble. (On the other hand, I also don't care that anyone else cares about it). I'm sure some writers will head over there to check out the website and you'll get some submissions from this. Good luck with the ezine.

JeanneTGC
12-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Casey, since you are offering payment, you might want to post this in the Paying Markets Forum. You'll probably get more interested parties that way.

CaoPaux
12-11-2009, 04:38 AM
(Moved from Short Fiction forum. B&BC thread is here. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134560))

Manuel Royal
12-11-2009, 06:58 AM
As far as grammer, checked out there pretty well too."Grammar". Unless you mean Kelsey Grammer, the actor. I've heard he can be difficult.

Good luck. Your website appears to be down; I'll try again later so I can look around.

SouthernFriedJulie
12-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Site tried to hijack my browser.

NO thank you.

caseyrobert
12-12-2009, 04:33 AM
what site tried to highjack your browser?
It definately wasn't the dailey swan site.

SouthernFriedJulie
12-12-2009, 05:47 AM
what site tried to highjack your browser?
It definately wasn't the dailey swan site.

Your site/server can be infected without you knowing it.

Yes, it was the Dailey Swan site.

caseyrobert
12-16-2009, 04:04 AM
I site is protected on levels that you can't imagine, both through our domain server and ourselves.

I can say without hesitation, the highjacking occured from your own computor. We also recieved a report that a program attempted to insert itself into our domain. It was blocked on many levels.

I suggest that you run a full security scan from macafee or the like. You'll find I'm sure a trojan installed in your system that led to your hi-jacking. It will probaly save a lot of other users as well that you're infecting.

SouthernFriedJulie
12-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Don't message me again just to copy a post to me.

I know what a browser hijack looks like. I'm fully capable of 'imagining' the security of systems and servers. My participation on a forum does not indicate a lack of understanding regarding trojans.

My system is very clean, thanks for your concern. Can you explain how a system hijacks itself? Also- are YOU accusing me of trying to infect your site? Please share the IP address the hijack on your system came from, the Admins here have mine on record, more than happy to share it after you back up your accusation.

Any number of members from here can also confirm /I/ haven't infected them, they visit my site, read emails, and accept files from me. Again - back up your accusation. I have nothing to gain by telling you a trojan tried to hijack my browser except help you out by letting you know it was there. What are YOU getting out of attacking me?

And again, don't send me an email regarding this.

DarkDesireX
12-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Why are we being so rude here? The argument has nothing to do with the publishing their offering. I JUST went to the website and didn't have any trouble. Let's move onto questions about the publications, please.

Personally I'm surprised Casey even bothered to come back to the forum after the way some of us have treated him/her. You guys don't have to be hostile in order to get your concerns and questions appreciated.

Can we act like professionals here, please?

AW Admin
12-17-2009, 03:46 AM
The html for the top page includes remote includes, as well as an obnoxious mp3 player.

Either would be enough to trigger a warning; both can look like an injection attack.

I don't see anything in the top page's HTML to warrant concern, other than the inherent evilness of the mp3 player.

It would also be really nifty to see a little more courtesy here; y'all might want to take a look at Skitt's Law (http://netculturetalk.com/news/internet-meme-skitts-law).

LaurieD
12-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up regarding the opportunity, Casey. :)

Williebee
12-17-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd never heard of Skitt's Law. I like that a lot. Thanks!

Casey, Good Luck with the E-zine.

And, like our friendly AW Admin, I didn't find anything in the source code that appeared malicious. The remote includes could well have triggered a "Will Robinson" moment, depending upon the AV/PC firewall settings.

SouthernFriedJulie
12-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Why are we being so rude here? The argument has nothing to do with the publishing their offering. I JUST went to the website and didn't have any trouble. Let's move onto questions about the publications, please.

Personally I'm surprised Casey even bothered to come back to the forum after the way some of us have treated him/her. You guys don't have to be hostile in order to get your concerns and questions appreciated.

Can we act like professionals here, please?

I didn't attack anyone. I pointed out what happened to my computer, then replied that the server can be infected without the admin being aware. To which I received an email and accusation. I replied accordingly and offered to supply my own IP.

The html for the top page includes remote includes, as well as an obnoxious mp3 player.

Either would be enough to trigger a warning; both can look like an injection attack.

I don't see anything in the top page's HTML to warrant concern, other than the inherent evilness of the mp3 player.

It would also be really nifty to see a little more courtesy here; y'all might want to take a look at Skitt's Law (http://netculturetalk.com/news/internet-meme-skitts-law).

I didn't gain a thing by letting anyone know that my browser went nuts. Nor did I go into full explanation of the situation. It could have been the server from Go Daddy that ws infected which spread to this site.

I think it is unfair to accuse me of being rude to the poster when I basically had to re-install my entire system. I cited the members here who were aware of the trojan and what I needed to do. I never said it was the OP's fault - I stated that it could get into their server without them knowing. Doesn't that qualify as letting them know about a potential problem, along with warning others?

I'd never heard of Skitt's Law. I like that a lot. Thanks!

Casey, Good Luck with the E-zine.

And, like our friendly AW Admin, I didn't find anything in the source code that appeared malicious. The remote includes could well have triggered a "Will Robinson" moment, depending upon the AV/PC firewall settings.

That's awesome. As I just said, it may have been in the Go Daddy server or could have been cleaned up already, which is good for all involved.

This is what I got. Vundo-

The latest variation of Vundo is undetected by most antivirus packages, inserts registry entries to suppress Windows warnings about the disabling of firewall, antivirus, and the Automatic Updates service, disables the Automatic Updates service and quickly re-disables it if manually reenabled, and attacks Malware Bytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, HijackThis, and several other malware removal tools. It is also not detectable (or else hides itself) from Vundofix. Rather than pushing fake antivirus products, the new "ad" popups for the drive-by download attacks are copies of ads by major corporations, faked so that simply closing them allows the drive-by download exploit to insert the payload into the user's computer. Its filenames are categorized by having the "hidden" flag set and being .dll files with 8-character randomly arranged names alternating consonants and vowels.

This trojan can hide and download in the background.

I've never accused anyone of being malicious to attack my system nor have I attacked any site here before- so please tell me why it is unreasonable to share what happened?

Birol
12-17-2009, 09:21 PM
It's time for everyone to take a deep breath and let the matter of the potential virus drop.

Please and thank you.

AW Admin
12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I think it is unfair to accuse me of being rude to the poster when I basically had to re-install my entire system.

I don't see your name at all anywhere in my post. Had I a had a single member in mind, I'd have directly responded to the member, sent them a private PM, or a Rep comment.

I think you're fine Julie, and you did the conscientious thing.

caseyrobert
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM
the remote includes are the google adds.
as for the music player, one of our authors is a leading jazz critic and we thought the music in the background would be a good thing, especially as we add content such as the short stories, reviews, and when we have time in the future, industry new. However we realize not everybody likes jazz. This gives you the opportunity to turn it down.
We are looking still for short stories. the idea is eventually a new one every week, with the published anthology in the spring of the next year.
I'm thinking I'll probably need 400-500 submissions to find the 40-50 I want. Most of what we receive is part of a story, but not complete.

Casey

Heitkemper
12-22-2009, 04:50 AM
I didn't notice if there was a word count limit. 1000? 3000? 5000? Thanks for your help.

caseyrobert
12-22-2009, 05:33 AM
We're looking for complete stories, word count up to 10,000 words.
The goal is a yearly anthology of under 100,000 worlds, consisting of 12 stories.
the best short story's of the year voted by the readers.
As such we want 1-4 short stories a month.
And we're finding quality short stories are tough to come by.

Birol
12-22-2009, 05:51 AM
My objection to sites with embedded music has nothing to do with my like or dislike of any particular music. I find it annoying because if I'm in a location where silence is the preferred etiquette, it can be disruptive to those around me. I also find embedded music annoying because if I'm listening to something else, it interferes with it.

caseyrobert
12-31-2009, 11:20 AM
just a quick posting.

we've selected our first short story from somebody who found us here.
Congrats to Michael for a great short story.
It will be published on the site in january, probably mid month, and a $25.00 stipend will be going to him.

It will also be posted at our friends at scribd.com

Good luck to michael on making the finals list for our first anotholgy do in the spring of 2011.

Manuel Royal
01-03-2010, 06:24 AM
The site still appears to be down.

ETA: No -- now it's working. Yes, it is awfully annoying to have music play as soon as the site is opened. (I've blocked the sound; won't bother me again.)

Casey -- If I understand it, the payment is a flat $25, rather than a professional word rate? What sort of royalty contract is there for the stories to be anthologized?

caseyrobert
01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
The royalty a rate for the anthology will be a flat $1.50/copy sold divided by the number of stories we include.

ie, 12 stories would be 12.5 cents per copy sold. The stories to be included will be voted on by visitors to our site and other associated sites.

For all of our titles, we deal with flat royalty fees rather than percentages.

As for the music, I enjoy it. Seems to be running about 80-20 in its favor. And like you did Manuel, you can always turn it off.

I remember an old story that a pulp author had told me once. He was commssioned to write so many short stories a year for a couple of mags. This was back in the 40's and 50's. They were paid so many cents a word. In think it was like 3 cents a word he made.
He told me that he got real good and plumping up the writing when he needed more money, and economizing on words when he didn't and was in a hurry.

Manuel Royal
01-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks, Casey! I'll see if I can come up with something suitable.

Heitkemper
01-13-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks Casey. It's a pleasure to work with you.

Michael Heitkemper

Susie
01-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Congrats 'n way2go, Michael. Calls for :Cake:! :)

caseyrobert
01-15-2010, 05:12 AM
I'd like to thank Karen for her submissions.
We have selected one of her stories that will be publishing this month on www.daileyswanpublishing.com, and one story we're holding for the future.
anouther author discovered at absolute writer water cooler.
congrats

Casey

caseyrobert
01-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Karen and Michael stories will be posting on www.daileyswanpublishing.com tonight, westcoast time. their checks will be going out tomorrow.

Still need more submissions.

casey

CaoPaux
01-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Where on your site are the stories posted?

caseyrobert
01-20-2010, 10:55 PM
my web guy has been trying to find the time to post the two stories. They will be under a short story tab. Unfortunately he has had to work some long hours at his day job. They will be going up this week he has informed me.

Sometimes I just have to be patient like the rest of us

Casey

Satori1977
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't see why anyone would consider this posting as trolling. I checked out the site and it looks legit. I am thinking about revamping one of my short stories and submitting. Thanks Casey for letting us know about this!

caseyrobert
01-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Would like to congrats Danielle, anouther writer from here, for her short story making it.
We almost reached our goal of 4 short stories, this our first month.

It will be posted on www.daileyswanpublishing.com and our associated site at www.scribd.com.

Be sure to read and vote for your favorite. (we're using reads on scribd as a counter, the dailey swan counter is having an issue, should be working shortly.-you can always send an email from the dailey swan site to vote.)

Top 12 stories will be in the anthology come next spring

If any of you are serious about your writing I suggest you visit scribd.com and become a member. They have over (on a slow month) 30 million unique visitors there , people who are like you, interested in the written word. It can definately get you noticed if you get involved on that site.

we post everything there, including up-comming novels due out.

As far as trolling, I think that term is meant as a derog, however, with a lifetime in sales/marketing, if you're not trolling for product to sell, and customers to sell to, you'll never survive. So if somebody says we're 'trolling', thanks.
It's what the most successful companies in the world do.

casey

Maryn
01-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Casey, you're killing me here.
It can definately get you noticed if you get involved on that site.

we post everything there, including up-comming novels do out.Aaarrrrgh! Even if you have a moment of brain fog and write do out when you meant due out, the other mistakes are inexcusable. We're people who take the written word pretty seriously, and you're mangling it. It detracts from your message, in my opinion pretty severely.

If you happen to be a poor speller (hey, it happens, no shame involved), consider either adding a toolbar which includes a spell checker (Google tool bar among them) or using Firefox as your browser (free in about 2 minutes at mozilla.org), which automatically spell-checks.

Maryn, performing a public service

caseyrobert
01-26-2010, 12:27 AM
ran a spell check, unfortunately, a spell check can even change a correct word to an incorrect one if you're not careful.

and since I run both british english and american lexicon in mine, well you can imagine.

I've never been a fan of firefox, just doesn't do as much as explorer

As far as brain fogs, we all have them.

I've been involved in the written word for 40+ years, but I do find people take things way too seriously at times, I try not too. Also a little dislexic. Don't think I ever passed a spelling test in school. Sometimes I look at words, and they look right to me.
Still didn't keep me from getting 2 degrees in school.

As far as edits, spelling, and grammer, when we look for what we publish, couldn't care less. That's for the editors to do. I'm looking for complete stories that somehow break through and tell a story a little bit differently. That's true for both manuscripts and our new short story program.

Thankfully I don't have to be able to spell when I mentor new authors.

I hope you find the edits to your satisfaction.

keep writing

casey

SouthernFriedJulie
01-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Google Chrome catches nearly all mistakes. Only a few seconds to install- wonderful to use.

I hate to be the one to say here...it does matter when mentoring. We all have our typos, but when we're speaking to others on our experience writing, especially on a writing board...spelling should be stellar.

Then again, as long as my email is spelled right by the person sending me a PayPal payment, I don't care.

caseyrobert
01-26-2010, 01:08 AM
I havn't tried google chrome.

Been mentoring for over 25 years with great results in many fields from sales and marketing, to writing, to junior achievement.
never found my spelling an issue.
As far as speaking, spelling is not an issue there, thank god.

And like you said, as long as the name is spelled right on the check.
(though I've probably seen my name spelled a dozen ways over the years.)

CaoPaux
01-26-2010, 02:14 AM
As far as edits, spelling, and grammer, when we look for what we publish, couldn't care less. That's for the editors to do. I'm looking for complete stories that somehow break through and tell a story a little bit differently. That's true for both manuscripts and our new short story program.Which segues nicely to: are the short stories posted "as is", or do you edit them?

caseyrobert
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Hate to say it, but we just use the microsoft word grammer and spell check for them.
If they make it to the anthology, they well be fully edited.

Now on to the latest news.
I just finished sending out my authors 1099's and the IRS has lowered the amount of reported royalties to just $10.00

So each for each author I publish a story from, I will have to issue a 1099.
That will literally cost me more than the $25.00 I pay for the story for each 1099 I have to send out.

So each author accepted will have to furnish their SS# with their contact info.
If that makes any of you uncomfortable, I'm sorry. you can call the IRS and complain to them. I don't see how that will lead to any increased revenue for the IRS, just increased costs all the way around.

And yes, I've already been audited once, so I will be a stickler to the rule.

keep writing

casey

Keyan
02-01-2010, 04:38 PM

Just a quick query about the Vundo trojan that SouthernFriedJulie mentioned. After a recent siege with Alureon ct, I'm very skittish about trojans and rootkits. The problem with Vundo seems to be that it's often undetected by Norton and McAfee and even by Microsoft Security Essentials, because it isn't a single trojan, but rather a family of them.

So I guess I'm asking, Can we be pretty confident, based on your assessment, that this website isn't handing out Vundo?

(I am extremely curious and would love to go look.)

SouthernFriedJulie
02-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Just a quick query about the Vundo trojan that SouthernFriedJulie mentioned. After a recent siege with Alureon ct, I'm very skittish about trojans and rootkits. The problem with Vundo seems to be that it's often undetected by Norton and McAfee and even by Microsoft Security Essentials, because it isn't a single trojan, but rather a family of them.

So I guess I'm asking, Can we be pretty confident, based on your assessment, that this website isn't handing out Vundo?

(I am extremely curious and would love to go look.)

Keyan- I visited again and did not have a problem. Vundo is hard for any site, other than the huge mega-corps to keep totally clear of. I did find tools to remove certain malware quickly in case you run into Vundo from another site or the Anti-Virus/Security 2010 that's going around.

Again, I've been back to the site and have NOT had another issue.

caseyrobert
02-02-2010, 12:18 AM
the site my server is on, is run by go-daddy, one of the largest and safest.
Vundo is just the latest bad guy. And most trojans have been run for years as families.
The root remains the same, that's how even the latest are identified and quanteened.
And that's why updates to security should be frequent.
The large mega-corps run the same anti-viral programs as you can sign up for with mcafee or norton. (i don't know where that common misconception came from that somehow they run different system) -that comes from a friend who works for a fortune 200 company...it is true they work closely with mcafee in indentifying threats and coming up with new solutions...then the same solution is available for everybody..if you run auto downloads of your mcafee you get the solutions at the same time as the big guys.)
I tend to trust them over any third party (or microsofts or apples own fixes) because of how they work.
I have a friend who uses firefox and a smaller interent security company because he is afraid of IE and maliscious attacks.

I don't have issue with internet security, he does.
With that said, any authors info, or basic business info,ect. is not stored on a computor that is ever online. If somebody wants to create something that breaks into your system, it will happen. Just how you prepare for that eventuality is the question.

That's what interent security is about.

on to short stories...still need'em.
We just put the additonal tax prep costs into the overall project costs.

casey

KathleenD
02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Just survived a round of Vundo myself. The helpful tip I got from the person who fixed my system: Put a password on your machine. Even if you are the only user of your computer and you live in a cave that cannot be penetrated by light, let alone other life forms, you still need the password. Otherwise Vundo reinstalls itself when you reboot your machine. Just passing through, don't mind me.

caseyrobert
02-05-2010, 11:38 PM
great suggestion

all computors should be password protected, and the password file not kept on the computor.

each user should also have their own password set.

meanwhile

keep the shortstories coming in.

We should have anouther bunch of acceptance and rejections this week.