Check Fraud Warning - Please Take Care!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Merry happy holiday season to you all:

My gift to you, this year is protection.

***listens to the mumbling voices***

Uh…no. I don’t mean ‘mango-flavored condoms’.

P.R.O.T.E.C.T.I.O.N. AS IN PROTECTING YOUR CREDIT.

(good, I got your attention……)

For those of you who still write those things called ‘checks’, pull out your check book and look at one of the checks.

See that series of numbers along the bottom of your check? Yeah. That coding is what the bank needs to process your check.

I bet all of you know when you write a check and make an error, you write VOID across the signature line of your check before you throw it away. I bet many of you also tear the check up. Right? Am I right?

And, I’m certain that everybody knows – when you lose your check book, or you mail a check that never gets there, you protect yourself by calling the bank and having payment stopped on that [those] checks.

Right? Problem solved? Right?

No, my dearest writers. I want you to take a look at this convenient piece of technology
http://www.staples.com/Checksoft-Home-Business/product_715049?cmArea=SEARCH
You never need to order checks again, with this handy software. Yep. I use it at work. So easy…so simple...so…..
::AHEM::

THE ONLY PROBLEM IS:

All a ‘prankster’ need to do is intercept a check you’ve mailed [voided, and/or trashed], copy it to get that critical coding information at the bottom, and then let it continue on its journey.

They can then create your checks, make them payable to themselves, and cash them hundreds…or even thousands of miles from where you are.

You can’t do much about checks you send to a legitimate vendor, but, if it takes more than 10 days to arrive, you may have a problem.

Any checks you trash, for any reason, should have that coding cut out or blacked out before you trash it.

I, personally, tear off and flush the coding. And I avoid writing checks with a passion.

This has been a public service announcement from Jaycinth

Bending over backwards to make you laugh since 2005.

Don’t forget to back up your work.

Last edited:

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
That is just one reason why I almost never write checks. The exceptions being those few backwards places that still do not accept credit or debit *coughtownhallcough*

The other reason being that I am lazy and checks require effort. :D When I take a check in at work sometimes it really does feel exactly like those Visa commercials from awhile back...

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have this wonderful paper "shredder" know as a fireplace. I torch the suckas. Havent' seen a single number in the ashes yet...

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
The only people who still use checks have pillboxes with days written on them and refer to dinner as supper and eat bran on purpose.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
The only people who still use checks have pillboxes with days written on them and refer to dinner as supper and eat bran on purpose.

You'd think. But the reality is there are those backwards places that will only accept checks, and for them you need to maintain a check book.

And...there are also companies...like mine...that pay vendors by check. (Most vendors don't like to part with their bank information for TXFR's because they have 'no' security controls on their....

woah...way too technical!

For those of you who are watching yourselves..

HUZZAH!!

for those of you who didn't know about this little thingie...

now you know.

BTW..../Daniel Snyder sucks

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

We use checks. Rarely. If you have kids in school involved in Scouts or other money raising activities, you pay with check since Cub Scouts don't carry Card Swipe machines.

Also, it was only just this year that our City Water bill went online, so we had to mail them checks. And GMAC just went online, although you could pay by phone. And our hair dresser only takes checks.

But otherwise, I hate them because I always forget they're out there and they make my account bounce when they appear.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Checks? Don't they require something like money in a bank account or something?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use checks, nor do I wear them. But, on occasion, I've been known to write a cheque.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I still use checks (or cheques as we spell them).
Ever since my online banking got hacked and my debit card was cloned.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
PayPal has a new technology that allows you to generate credit card numbers on the fly.

You can use your paypal account to pay for anything online at any site that takes credit cards -- and you never have to give them your real number.

In fact, you can create a new number for each site you shop at -- and tell paypal that that number can only ever be used at that site (or even for just one purchase only.)

If anyone tries to use that number, and it's not the site you told paypal the card was for, it gets rejected.

Pretty brilliant online shopping, IMO.

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Another angle on the same story:

From someone who's business's checks have been counterfeited and floated as part of a Nigerian lottery scam--DO NOT CASH strange checks that show up in your mail telling you "this is the downpayment on your winnings, please deposit and call for further instructions" which invariably include mailing the sender a check back for the "taxes" or "filing fees". Guess who's the loser in the scenario? Not my company whose counterfeit check you deposited, but you! You're the intended victim, not my company.

I can't tell you how many ridiculously sized counterfeit checks that good but misguided potential victims have tried to cash. I kick em all back because I can if I do so within a short window which is why I have my staff check every check that clears everyday against our outstanding check list. The depositer gets stuck with a bounced deposit fee at a minimum.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I either use my debit card, which I watch like a hawk, or I use my bank's free bill pay. It's fantastic, I send them the information and who it's going to and how much and what for and they mail a money order with the money fully guaranteed in case it gets lost at the cost of nothing. It's completely free for me, 100% guaranteed by them.