• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Pen name question

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsidedowngrl

Noelle Nolan
Registered
Reaction score
I was curious as to whether you have to register a penn name in order to use it to write under or can you just write under it. I only ask this because what if you choose a name and someone else tries to claim the work as theirs if they have that same name? I know I'm probably over thinking it, but it does cross my mind when I'm writing and I type the phrase - Written by: Scottie Downs

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of having to "register" a pen name and I'm not even sure what that might mean or entail. I think you can just go ahead and use any name you like. It's best to make sure it's unique (or fairly unusual), though. If there's another name in your genre that's the same, readers could get confused.

Annayna

Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
I dont think you have to register it. Your agent and publisher will have your real name and the copyright information.. but then again I could be wrong.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No, you don't have to register a pseudonym. Just type your real name and contact information in the upper left hand corner, and then type whatever pseudonym you want to use where the byline goes. That's all there is to it.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Can you command your publisher and agent to not reveal your real identity in the copyrights and in other stuff?

Annayna

Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
copyright i believe has to be in ur real name as well as the contract... but ur pen name would be on ur book

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I heard somehwere that you can keep your real name out of the copyright materials inside of the book cover.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I have two pen names in print and never registered anything. I suspect the same is true in general among writers.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
copyright i believe has to be in ur real name as well as the contract... but ur pen name would be on ur book

No, you can also use the pseudonym in registering the copyright. You can then, whenever you wish, change the name to your real one. Contracts are tricker, but there are legal ways to also use teh pseudonym on a contract.

thegirlwhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to register it or copyright it but if you have a very unique cool name and you're scared someone might want to take it away (or use it for themselves, as well), then you might want to get some kind of protection. You can go to the copyright gov page and see how. :)
but I doubt someone would be brave or silly enough to actually use another author's name.

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly. You can register the copyright under a pen name as long as its referenced to your true identity.

EG

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Under Common Law your name is what you call yourself, unless you use a name for fraudulent purposes.

Khimera9

Registered
Reaction score
Can you command your publisher and agent to not reveal your real identity in the copyrights and in other stuff?

You might be able to, but if that happens you'll have a tough time saying the work is yours. After all, without your name in the copyright, you can't prove it's your work, so someone could take the credit under your pen name if you're not careful.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You might be able to, but if that happens you'll have a tough time saying the work is yours. After all, without your name in the copyright, you can't prove it's your work, so someone could take the credit under your pen name if you're not careful.

It's not difficult to prove the work is yours. People worry needlessly about this, and there really is no way for anyone else to steal it. I've had several works registered under pseudonyms for years. There simply is no danger of theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.