My Best Roast Chicken Ever!

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I roasted a chicken yesterday and it was sublime - the best I have ever eaten, and way the best I've ever cooked.
And it was easy.

I started with a plump regular old fryer I bought a while back & threw in the freezer. It was about 3+ pounds. I thawed it in the refrigerator for 2 days.

I rinsed & dried it, then rubbed it inside & out with melted butter & orange juice. I patted on poultry seasoning and put it breast down in a roasting pan at 400 degrees F. for 25 minutes, basting once with the melted butter & orange juice mixture. Then I turned it over, poured in a cup of chicken stock, basted the bird with more butter & orange juice and turned the oven down to 300 for 45 minutes. I turned it once again and cooked it for another 15 minutes.

It got a delightful sweet crispy skin and was so moist.

This bird had no giblets (poor thing!) and I didn't stuff it. It was terrific.

I was going to make a nice chicken vegetable soup, but we ate the whole thing while it was still hot, tearing it like wolves at the sink.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds fabulous. I love orange anything and I could eat chicken everyday. I used to make a Moroccan chicken dish that had oranges and raisins in it but that was before I birthed a couple of raisin haters.

You've given me a craving now.:(

greenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds fabulous. I've roasted many a chicken, but I'm never wowed by the way they turn out. I'm going to try this one very soon!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of roasted chicken, I made a pot of chicken and dumplings a couple of weeks back. Instead of just boiling up a chicken in the pot to make the broth, I boiled the rest of the previous night's roasted chicken. It was out of this world. Nothing spectacular in the roasting of the chicken, but the dumplings were very different than usual because of the herbs and, I believe, because the chicken had been browned. It just added something more. My husband will eat chicken & dumplings, but they aren't his favorite. But he went back for seconds.