PDA

View Full Version : Otherworld Publications call for submissions

Otherworld
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
We are currently accepting submissions for Commercial Fiction, Mystery, Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

If you would like to be considered for publication, please submit a query letter with author bio, a one page synopsis, and the first three chapters of your work. If we are interested, we'll contact you for the entire work. We require that the completed work be at least 55,000 words.

You may send these in hard copy form with a SASE to:

Otherworld Publications LLC
4949 Old Brownsboro Rd. Suite 113
Louisville, KY 40222

You may also submit them in either Word, Text or Pages documents via email to queries@otherworldpublications.com.

Unimportant
12-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Adding link: http://www.otherworldpublications.com/submissions.htm

They've got their sample contract on the web, which is helpful (note: all-rights grab). They're new (i.e., haven't published any books yet) and their "About Us" is quite informative: We are revolutionizing the publishing business. We are a publisher with the Author in mind.

thothguard51
12-07-2009, 11:13 PM
They sound interesting and legit, especially if they can get books into the brick and mortar stores.

Sometimes, getting on with a start up can be very beneficial. Other times, not.

Shadow_Ferret
12-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Interesting, but is it sound to get involved in a start up in this economy? What happens to your novel if they go out of business?

thothguard51
12-08-2009, 01:01 AM
According to their sample contract, if they go under, all rights revert to the author. Of course, getting someone to send you all the stuff is another matter.

One thing I did not notice is if they apply for copyright for the author.

Nick Anthony

Unimportant
12-08-2009, 02:16 AM
No, the author has to apply for (and pay for) copyright registration.

There's no evidence they have any distribution in place. They pay no advance, and they pay royalties on net. There is no evidence that any of the staff have any industry experience.

In my admittedly limited experience, "revolutionize the publishing industry" equates to "I couldn't get my book published so I started my own small press", and "our goal {is} to help the Author" equates to "we have no idea what we are doing".

A small press who has published no books, who has no experience, who has no way to reach readers, and whose contract is shockingly exploitive, is probably not one to put at the top of your list.

Edited to add: Otherworld Publications of Louisville, KY lists Lynn Calvert as being President, Editor, and Author. Lynn Calvert of Louisville, KY (LinkedIn page http://www.linkedin.com/pub/lynn-calvert/7/549/814) lists her home page as http://www.lynntincher.com/news.htm, with Lynn Tincher presumably being the pseudonym under which Lynn Calvert writes. She has two books vanity-published with iUniverse. I cannot find evidence of any other industry experience.

mariedees
12-13-2009, 07:43 PM
A start up press in itself is not always a bad thing. I placed a short erotic romance story with Cobblestone when they were just beginning and it still brings in royalties. But as an author, consider what you're putting up for risk. I might take a risk on a short story or novella that I wouldn't with a full length novel.

However, this publisher is looking for novels and looking at what Unimportant found, I'd give this one a pass. There just isn't enough evidence that the owners have even successfully worked in the small press market or that they'll be able to successfully launch a book.

Looking at the site, I don't see any evidence that they have connections to get their books in bookstores. They say they'll market them to bookstores. Well, yes, that's one of those vague promises that I often see publishing companies make. It can simply mean your book will be listed with a thousand others on a distributor's list sent to bookstores. It won't actually get you on the shelves.

Otherworld
12-15-2009, 09:05 AM
I highly recommend that you all do your research. Especially with a new and unfamiliar publisher. If Unimportant had done a little more, they would have found that yes, I do publish under the name of Lynn Tincher, and yes, I did publish with iUniverse on my first novel. It was immediately picked up by Blackwyrm Fiction with whom I've now published two books. I also publish a weekly eZine called The Literary Lynnch Pen that now has over 2500 readers. Plus I have connections with over 12,000 book stores and libraries. One thing I do thank you all for is that you've shown me what all else needs to be on our website. THANK YOU. Again, make sure you do your research before trying to publish with anyone. Google me. I'm all over the place.

BillPatt
12-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Along with the changes in the website, how do you respond, OtherWorld, to the criticism of making the author pay for copyright registration?

I have a B&N card and Borders card. Therefore I have connections with a lot of bookstores, too. Do you have distribution agreements in place? How will my book get distributed?

And, given that you are going for all rights, how will those rights get used? If I am selling you, say, audio rights, how do you intend to exploit those rights so we both make money?

Otherworld
12-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Bill,

I'm glad you asked these questions. Our website will be updated soon with the information requested. We will also be adding a FAQ area to address some of the concerns.

As far as the criticism of author paying the copyright, there is not any difference in the author paying that up front as opposed to paying them out of their royalties like most publishers force them to do. This way we are taking that step out of the process and we are not taking the rights away from the author. Other publishers also take out any and all marketing and other costs out of the royalties that we do not. At least we are being up front. Plus we are willing to negotiate that when it comes down to the contract. A copyright is not that expensive and if the author wants us to pay that for them, we will.

As far as the distribution channels, we are set up for distribution through Amazon.com, Baker & Taylor, Barnes & Noble, Espresso Book Machine, Ingram, NACSCORP in the US and Amazon.co.uk, Aprohead, Argosy Ireland, Bertrams, Blackwall, Book Depository, Coutts, Eden Interactive LTD., Eleftheroudakis, Gardners, IBS-STL UK, Libreria Ledi, Mallory International, and Paperback Bookshop in the UK.

Now on to the contacts, I have direct mail and email contacts to the buyers for over 12,000 bookstores and libraries that we will market to through various means, including but not limited to sell sheets. Plus the titles will be available digitally. The buyers will buy either from the above distribution channels or directly from Otherworld at a discount and will be returnable. While this is not a guarantee that the brick and mortar stores will pick up any title, as you well know, this will increase the possibility. Also, we will exploit these channels to sell any other rights, audio, video, movie, etc. As you can see from the contract, the author will be rewarded if and when this happens.

I know we are new to the business as a publisher and I know we will have to prove ourselves and build a trusted reputation. Please keep asking the questions!

icerose
12-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Bill,

I'm glad you asked these questions. Our website will be updated soon with the information requested. We will also be adding a FAQ area to address some of the concerns.

As far as the criticism of author paying the copyright, there is not any difference in the author paying that up front as opposed to paying them out of their royalties like most publishers force them to do. This way we are taking that step out of the process and we are not taking the rights away from the author. Other publishers also take out any and all marketing and other costs out of the royalties that we do not. At least we are being up front. Plus we are willing to negotiate that when it comes down to the contract. A copyright is not that expensive and if the author wants us to pay that for them, we will.

This sounds wrong to me. I've never heard of publishing costs ever being taken out of royalties including the copyright they buy in the author's name. The only cost I've heard coming out of royalties is the advance, which is an advance against royalites.

Hopefully some one more schooled in the publishing business can come in and either back up or counter this statement.

Royalties with the commercial publishers are a % of the cover price from what I've seen. Nothing else interferes with that, not marketing, not copyright, not distribution, just the advance and a holding for possible returns, but again that doesn't count against royalties just simply holds back a certain amount until they've cleared.

And yeah, there's a huge difference from the author paying it out of their own pocket and the publisher paying it out of their own pocket.

Anyone know for certain?

Otherworld
12-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Let's not get off course here. Otherworld does not take out these fees from royalties. Yes, there are some (not all) that do and we only point this out as something to avoid. Plus what is online is a sample contract, a base line for negotiations and this forum is not the place for negotiating. The fee for copyright is one of those things to be negotiated.

Izz
12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Have started a thread in Bewares and Background Checks: Otherworld Publications (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165520) (it's the best place to get input from the industry professionals that hang out here).

slcboston
12-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Let's not get off course here. Otherworld does not take out these fees from royalties. Yes, there are some (not all) that do and we only point this out as something to avoid.

Yeah, but that's not what you said the first time:

As far as the criticism of author paying the copyright, there is not any difference in the author paying that up front as opposed to paying them out of their royalties like most publishers force them to do. .... Other publishers also take out any and all marketing and other costs out of the royalties that we do not.

"Like most" is a bit different from "some" and the implication you make in the above passage is that this is something that sets your company apart.

I would also take issue with the statement there is no difference between paying up front and having it taken out of royalties. Regardless of the veracity of that claim with respect to royalties - which seems to be in some doubt and flies in the face of my understanding of the normal process - there is a great deal of difference between having to pay for something at the start as opposed to having it taken out later.

It's like the difference between an insurance carrier covering your costs up front, or having them reimburse you after you pay and file a claim. The second way, you have to have the money in the first place. For a lot of people, that's a major difference.

Somehow watching you back-peddle over your previous comments, and constantly mis-stating things - whether deliberate or unintentional, does not inspire confidence.

Otherworld
12-16-2009, 12:33 AM
I do apologize and these things will be taken care of immediately. We value the reponses on this site and would like to earn the reputation we intend.

Unimportant
12-16-2009, 03:54 AM
As far as the distribution channels, we are set up for distribution through Amazon.com, Baker & Taylor, Barnes & Noble, Espresso Book Machine, Ingram, NACSCORP in the US and Amazon.co.uk, Aprohead, Argosy Ireland, Bertrams, Blackwall, Book Depository, Coutts, Eden Interactive LTD., Eleftheroudakis, Gardners, IBS-STL UK, Libreria Ledi, Mallory International, and Paperback Bookshop in the UK.

I expect that the lovely and talented Victoria Strauss will come along soon and explain the difference between a distributor and a wholesaler/warehouser.

I am not aware of any publisher that takes the cost of registering copyright out of the author's royalties, nor of any publisher that takes the cost of marketing out of the author's royalties. But admittedly I'm not familiar with every publisher on the planet. Otherworld, could you please give us examples of which publishers have these business practices?

DarkDesireX
12-17-2009, 02:27 AM
You guys, please try to be a little less hostile with your concerns for the publishers. I understand you are looking out for the best interests of everyone here but there's no need to be rude. If we rip apart everyone who comes to post here we'll find ourselves on a very lonely forum. Ask your questions, give them a chance to answer, and remember that not everyone is out to screw writers.

Cheers!

Cella
12-17-2009, 03:39 AM
I don't have much to add. Just that it's nice to see that Otherworld has remained polite, if nothing else. Although, I have seen much ruder comments made at various times than the ones made here.

Brindle Chase
12-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Well said, DarkDesireX.

Thank you, Otherworlds. Truly. I appreciate your coming here and further, enduring a barrage of skepticism. Hopefully from all this, you've gotten some ideas on what does and does not appeal to aspiring and experienced authors... and I wish you the greatest success in your venture!

rmgil04
12-17-2009, 05:23 AM
Unimportant, thanks for posting the link. I'm in the process of re-writing my debut novel.

Otherworld, I'll bookmark your site and keep watch when I finish the re-writes. Are you interested in military sci-fi/space opera novels?

Unimportant
12-18-2009, 10:28 AM
rmgil, Baen is probably the biggest publisher open to military SF novels, and they take unagented subs; you might want to check them out, too.