In my mind, at least, I was Paul Potts singing Music of the Night.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
It was my wife's work Christmas party/dinner this past Friday, the radio stations where I used to work. Most everyone there knows me, either from when I was there, or from my periodic visits to see my wife with baby in tow.

The entertainment for the evening was karaoke. Now, I should be up front and admit that I can't really sing. But after imbibing some delicious alcohol, I believe I can sing like Frank Sinatra.

So, after three glasses of wine, I went up and sang Music of the Night from Phantom of the Opera, a number that I sang once on karaoke on another occasion with limited success. I know the song pretty well, as I've heard it many times.

As expected, my voice was beyond pitchy, and it always hitches in the middle registers. But I sang it all the way through, holding the notes (near the end of the song) for a really long time.

Needless to say, I didn't sound like Michael Crawford. Paul Potts, either.

But for that shining moment, I was Paul Potts on stage at Britain's Got Talent, singing my heart out, drunk on red wine. And with karaoke, well, lots of people can't sing, but lots more won't get up and do it.

And when I was finished, everyone gave me a standing ovation. I felt really proud.

The lady who co-hosts the morning show on the classic hits station told I did a fine job, although she might have been drinking, too.

Hey, it's not easy to sing opera. I sure as hell can't. But I tried.

Reaction score
Well done you for having balls.

I've never done karaoke alone.

Or sober.

Hell, I'm Scottish. I haven't done anything sober.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The one time I did karaoke, I wasn't drunk enough.

Last night, I dreamed I won "Britain's Got Talent" in my Maidenform bra!

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
The only time I've been to karaoke, we didn't exactly sing alone, it was more of a "if you know the tune, join in" and we passed the microphone around a bit. We also occasionally changed the words to make them more amusing. Aaaah...good times.

Of course, it was there that I realized I have an unreasoning fear of the microphone. I'd be singing along gustily, someone would stick the microphone in my face, and I'd go abruptly silent. *sigh*
I can't even blame too much sobriety, cause I wasn't! Sober, I mean....

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Maybe I can sing it when I audition for American Idol this year. I could be the next William Hung!

Won't you guys be jellus.

Bet I'll get a book deal, too.

Damn, I should have thought of this sooner.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Man--almost all the songs from Phantom are hard to sing. It was horrible in theatre for a while there--EVERYBODY wanted to use Phantom music to audition with and very few people can actually sing it well.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My one bright shining karaoke moment was when I and another teacher sang "Country Roads" for our students in China (where John Denver is still a big hit). I wasn't drunk, but fortunately everyone else was. ;)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
My one - and only - karaoke adventure was singing 'Crazy' (ala Patsy Cline) at Henry Hudson's Bar late, late, LATE one Saturday night after being egged on by Ol' Boy and a friend of ours from the Ol' BBS days who went by the name 'Bubblehead'. Since I sang the song through to the bitter (and I do mean bitter) end, they had to sing 'Blue Moon'... and ended the set (and the evening) by mooning the whole crowd on the final 'Blue Moon'...

Oh. And I think drinks were involved, too.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
Well done you for having balls.

I've never done karaoke alone.

Or sober.

Hell, I'm Scottish. I haven't done anything sober.

First time I ever heard of karaoke was in some bar in Dumfries. I was so hammered I don't remember anything but hearing a scary version of "I got you, babe" and puking on my shoes. :e2paperba