PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid question

sheadakota
12-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Okay I realize I am setting myself up here, but I need some advice! A reporter is coming to my house this coming week with a photographer to interview me and take pictures.

What do I wear? I was thinking what I normally would-= that being jeans and maybe a nice jacket with a t-shirt- yes?

Also do I like offer refreshments?

Yeah I know stoopid question but I'm socially retarded okay? I hang out with my horses, my family and the people at the dojo-

So- ummm- any suggestions?

Darzian
12-06-2009, 02:12 AM
I'd say it depends on what the interview is for. Say, I'd dress differently if the interview was for a professional-related article versus an article in, say, the Cosmopolitan.

sheadakota
12-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Like I said It is a small local paper doing a feature article on me and my journey to publication- you know - small town girl does good kind of thing-

backslashbaby
12-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Congrats!!! Wear whatever you'd like to be pictured in 'as an author.' I think your outfit sounds great. Try to have coffee on hand, and some kind of soda that people like. Tea if you are in the UK and iced tea in the south :) You could probably get by with less, but if it's easy have a few options.

Food is entirely optional, imho, but a few cookies and/or bagels in case someone skipped breakfast are always nice. And have biscuits for sure if you're doing hot tea. Try to have this stuff where folks can just grab it as much as possible. Nothing fancy or formal.

Have fun! How cool :)

sheadakota
12-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks Backslash! I am such a social moron sometimes! I'm not nervous about the interview at all, but I hate having my pic taken!

Chumplet
12-06-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm sure the photographer will make you look fantastic, but if you have just natural light try to get something near a window, from the side. Cool writerly stuff in the background seems to work.

I was interviewed once and provided my own picture. The reporter and I talked over lunch at Swiss Chalet. I didn't have much control over the article but tried to answer her questions like a hockey player being questioned between periods LOL! "I'm just giving it a hundred and ten percent, etc."

It helps to have some notes on hand, like what inspired you and stuff like that.

Wayne K
12-06-2009, 05:48 AM
In my defense, you know I'm here .

Something nerdy sexy will earn that paper one new subscription. :D

Wayne K
12-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Oh, and before you assume.

I saw your pic. I'm not kidding, nerdy sexy dammit.

Matera the Mad
12-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Lucky you. They can't come to my house, that would lead to its being condemned. Wear something the horses like and be you. And make them take a picture of you with the horses. :D

Wayne K
12-06-2009, 06:07 AM
The real you. You're beautiful.

sheadakota
12-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Oh, and before you assume.

I saw your pic. I'm not kidding, nerdy sexy dammit.
Sorry Wayne I cross posted and quoted wrong post- what I said was the spy girl in the cat suit or the real me? Then I saw your response and awww- thank you-*blushes*

bettielee
12-06-2009, 06:13 AM
This is weird for me, cuz I have a vision of myself as a writer. I know I want the world to see me as feminine and smart, and a little.... airy fairy.

How do you want people to see you? It can be real or it can be imagined. I don't think you are required to be who you are at the company picnic or at the receptionist's desk or the doctor's office for the camera, in a paper where you are going to be seen as a writer (it sounds like, for the first time, yes?). You can be who you see yourself as on the inside.

sheadakota
12-06-2009, 06:13 AM
Lucky you. They can't come to my house, that would lead to its being condemned. Wear something the horses like and be you. And make them take a picture of you with the horses. :D
I told my son that a reporter was coming to the house and his first repsonse- "We need to clean up in here." LOL!

sheadakota
12-06-2009, 06:17 AM
This is weird for me, cuz I have a vision of myself as a writer. I know I want the world to see me as feminine and smart, and a little.... airy fairy.

How do you want people to see you? It can be real or it can be imagined. I don't think you are required to be who you are at the company picnic or at the receptionist's desk or the doctor's office for the camera, in a paper where you are going to be seen as a writer (it sounds like, for the first time, yes?). You can be who you see yourself as on the inside.
This is excellent advice and yup I'm an interview virgin :) I know how I don't want to be seen- as a mom (even though I love my kids) A nurse, or a wife(Love my hubby too) But these things don't define me- Writing does-

sheadakota
12-06-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm sure the photographer will make you look fantastic, but if you have just natural light try to get something near a window, from the side. Cool writerly stuff in the background seems to work.

I was interviewed once and provided my own picture. The reporter and I talked over lunch at Swiss Chalet. I didn't have much control over the article but tried to answer her questions like a hockey player being questioned between periods LOL! "I'm just giving it a hundred and ten percent, etc."

It helps to have some notes on hand, like what inspired you and stuff like that.
great Idea- I was also going to burn my cover on a cd so they have it if they want to print a pic of it- I talk really fast when I get nervous too, so I'll have to watch that- thanks!