E-book photo / image size

Triciawho

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.triciamangan.com
I'm working on putting together my first e-book. My plan is to create it in .pdf format and upload it for kindle, as well. The book contains a fair number of photos, and I've had trouble finding any guidelines about optimal size and quality (e.g. dpi, rgb vs. cmyk, etc.). I am mindful of trying to keep the total size of the e-book within a reasonable range which could prove difficult with a lot of photos. It would be nice to have a starting point to work with.

Does anyone have personal experience with this, or know where I might find some guidelines? Thanks!

Triciawho

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.triciamangan.com
Can Kindle display color? If not, I expect the first thing to do is convert to gray-scale. As to size, here's something: http://kindleformatting.com/faq.php#faq9

Thanks so much for the link - that definitely helps! As far as kindle, no it does not display color. However, if an ebook contains colored photos or illustrations, they would be viewable by the other e-readers amazon now supports through its applications (e.g., kindle for iphone and kindle for PC). So I'm inclined to keep the photos colorized in case someone buys it from amazon but reads it on something other than a kindle.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
I dunno about kindle.... but Lulu.com has some tips on generating them for their site. I know they prefer 300dpi images, to scale in inches, in RGB and .pdf format.