A Wistful Sigh

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The very first winter blizzard, oh how I miss you. It's a proper blizzard, not just some nut-numbing -40C with a stiff wind but an actual blizzard with a whiteout and snow up past the ankles. Been a while, hasn't it? It has! Such a joyous occasion!

Have you been treated to the blizzard yet?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. :D
Had two of them in October.
reflection.jpg

Technically this picture was from the spring, but the drifts were almost as tall.
gretchendrift.jpg

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
^^ luv the German Shepherd!! :)

I remember one when I was a girl in Oklahoma.... slipped on the ice, trying to get home, and couldn't stand up, and to add insult to injury, I was slipping into the flow of traffic.

A bigger kid came alone and helped me up, and we helped each other get back home (we lived in the same apt complex) because the snow had started coming down so hard we couldn't see.

I hate to think what would have happened if that kid hadn't come along.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Have you been treated to the blizzard yet?

Nope. Not a flake, not a flurry. Only the tops of the mountains have a coating of white, though it is moving steadily down the slopes. We have had three mornings where the bird sanctuary has been outlined & highlighted in frost!

I'm headed for sunnier climes next week and it doesn't look like I'll get to see any snow before I go. First time this has happened to me. I usually get to enjoy one big snow dump then run off to Mom's house.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Just started shoveling the snow - oy, it's going to take a whie. Especially with the wind.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We got some minor flakes in October but we're supposed to get our first accumulating snow today:rant:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've never actually seen a blizzard. *a disappointed sigh*

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
^^ luv the German Shepherd!! :)

Thank you. She likes to play in the snow almost as much as I do.
gretchendrift2.jpg

Glad someone was there to help you home. Brrrr, sliding into an icy street full of traffic. Yikes!

We had a killer blizzard a couple years ago. And I mean that literally. :(
A neighbor slid off the road on their way home from town, and tried to walk the rest of the way. They never made it.

My horse came out of the barn to follow me around while I did chores that day. I guess she was worried about me.
blizzard3fg2.jpg

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently my dog doesn't like the snow. I threw it in the snowbank and all it wanted to do was go back inside. What ungrateful little mutt!

Oh well, it is a boston bull terrier after all.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Yes, I grew up in South Dakota. I've been caught in one as well. Driving towards Ellsworth away from Rapid City in my old '66 Dodge Coronet station wagon that my parents let me drive.

Wow, good times. I remember what my dad always told me. If you're driving and get caught in it, pull over, leave your car on for as long as you can so the battery won't wear down and put on your hazards. My car was white and I was terrified the plow would think I was just another snow pile.

I used to put a sleeping bag and things to keep me warmer in case it happened again.

And still, there's nothing better than to have a blizzard when you are home, safe and sound in front of the fireplace. That's what I call ambiance and writing weather. :D

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
On the subject of driving, I don't drive. I take public transit everywhere. Yesterday was a whirl - spent more time going backwards on the bus than going forward.