PDA

View Full Version : I keep on comin' back for more...

skippingstone
12-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey, Fellow Rejectees and Dejectees,

I notice that this seems to the home of the writing suicide note. That's my term for it anyway -- the grand farewell message, I've had enough of this cold, cruel writing world.

I'm wondering how many of you all have actually quit writing for some period of time, certain thatyou'd had enough, only to return to it later. How long was your hiatus? What made you return to it again?

I quit for about five years because of child-rearing demands and the certainty that I just didn't have it. Now I'm back again for no other reason than that I just couldn't make my quitting stick.

I thought it might cheer people up to know that writers can and do heal from these writing losses. "Everybody hurts... sometimes. So hold on...."

triceretops
12-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I quit for 14 years, disgusted that all I could sell were non-fiction books. Three novels went through the Richard Curtis Agency and belly-flopped after three years. I just missed a movie deal by a hair. Jurassic Park beat me out. I couldn't believe it.

Today, it's not much better after a bad first publisher and a luke-warm agent. I have managed to sell five novels, but all to POD publishers, which I've discovered are a poor way to go for any type of serious distribution. Small press is really dead, in my opinion.

I just landed another agent after 408 submissions for my thriller. Don't know if I'll pick her up or not. It's going to take a lot to make me feel better about this business. I want a major sale and bookstore placement. To me, Mass-Market-Paperback means real publishing--that says it all.

My attitude: Hope for the best but expect the worst. But I'll always believe in the half glass is full saying.

Tri

Nateskate
12-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Initially I wrote a few short novels, but I couldn't afford to pay someone to type them, and they sat in my closet until they became outdated. Over time I stopped thinking about it.

Then came word processing and spell checkers, and I took up writing again for fun. I had a bunch of people reading my stories, but no intention of publishing until they began prodding me and telling me my stories were good enough.

Being the uninformed person I was, I wrote an entire Epic Fantasy from beginning to end, having to prove I could finish before I'd even consider seeking a publisher. But that was ddddddumb. It's one thing to face editing a single book. It's quite another to begin editing a book you wrote five years ago, which was altered by the story as you went from Book 1 to Book 7. And so I was left with this nightmare mess.

In a sense the project was torture at times, and a joy at others, as I fought and fought to make it work.

kellion92
12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I "always wanted to be a writer" when I was a kid, but being a college writing major cured me of that. The culture wasn't for me, and then I thought that writing wasn't either. But I always thought I would write a novel "someday," but my few weak efforts weren't anything like the kinds of books I like to read.

When I decided to write MG, it was a relevation, since the genre freed me from my ultra-literary goals and from writing what I know, which is very dull and boring. But now I'm doubting whether I can really write MG. I love the way MG is plot-driven and full of magic, but the writing I like and do is still dense and layered. I don't know if publishers or readers are really looking for a poor man's Frances Hardinge. It's not like the real one is burning up the bestseller lists either.